IGNORED

The South Wales Derby

Alan Dicks

Just watched this interesting video and have to admit I enjoyed it, but got to say i felt so envious.

For me it wasn’t that long ago we regularly murdered these two and were regarded as the bigger club.

I remember our crowds were at least double theirs and regularly finished higher than them in the league.

I can’t help looking at their recent successes and feeling very envious, especially of Swansea.

Will we ever reach the highs these two have reached in the last 10 or so years?

• Like 1

I have a major problem with the four Welsh clubs being part of the English set-up. They’re here on sufferance. I don’t dislike the Welsh, far from it, but they should really compete in their own country’s league.

After Heysel the ban only applied to English clubs yet lo and behold Cardiff’s yob element ran amok in Liege a few years later.  Meanwhile English clubs with no history of hooliganism - Oxford, Wimbledon, Norwich, Luton were robbed of the chance to play in Europe and now probably never will.

It really gets my hackles up.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

14 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

Just watched this interesting video and have to admit I enjoyed it, but got to say i felt so envious.

For me it wasn’t that long ago we regularly murdered these two and were regarded as the bigger club.

I remember our crowds were at least double theirs and regularly finished higher than them in the league.

I can’t help looking at their recent successes and feeling very envious, especially of Swansea.

Will we ever reach the highs these two have reached in the last 10 or so years?

I think we will. Difficult to imagine at the moment when struggling past Barnsley at home, but our luck will turn eventually. 

I think in a weird way we could do with a few more competitive local rivals (yes, even Rovers). I know this goes against the grain on here but in my opinion, whilst it's fun for bragging rights if Rovers are crap, having a local derby regularly is good for the club. It generates a buzz and media attention, also a guaranteed good atmosphere.

I'd rather play the likes of Rovers, Plymouth, Cardiff, Swansea, Newport etc than Huddersfield, Barnsley, Hull & Preston.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think we will. Difficult to imagine at the moment when struggling past Barnsley at home, but our luck will turn eventually. 

I think in a weird way we could do with a few more competitive local rivals (yes, even Rovers). I know this goes against the grain on here but in my opinion, whilst it's fun for bragging rights if Rovers are crap, having a local derby regularly is good for the club. It generates a buzz and media attention, also a guaranteed good atmosphere.

I'd rather play the likes of Rovers, Plymouth, Cardiff, Swansea, Newport etc than Huddersfield, Barnsley, Hull & Preston.

Would love to play rovers every season. You can’t beat Darby day for the buzz from first thing in the morning till kick off 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I must admit that over the last fifty years I don’t recall feeling that Bristol City was generally a bigger club than Cardiff or Swansea. Similar, and all with fluctuating fortunes, I would have said, though I don’t have stats to prove it!

During the 1990s both clubs were in the bottom division whilst we stumbled between 2nd and 3rd tiers as usual and our players would usually play for Cardiff or Swansea after playing for us, they would sign our cast offs. 

Bigger clubs? Definitely now, but if we reached the top flight and stayed there a couple years you would have to consider it quite even.

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

I must admit that over the last fifty years I don’t recall feeling that Bristol City was generally a bigger club than Cardiff or Swansea. Similar, and all with fluctuating fortunes, I would have said, though I don’t have stats to prove it!

I’d say the same as Cardiff and bigger than Swansea having followed for the same 50+ years.