IGNORED

u23s v Charlton

Davefevs

5 minutes ago, grifty said:

I know Pearson says Brittons issue is his fitness rather than his attitude or ability. Surely he must be fit enough to give him 15-20 mins at the end of a match to give Martin a bit of a break?

I watched him against QPR U23s last week. They had an experienced side and he didn’t really do anything to push for a first team start. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I watched him against QPR U23s last week. They had an experienced side and he didn’t really do anything to push for a first team start. 

In fairness, city had hardly any of the ball so bad game to make any judgement on.  Despite that he still managed to have 3 shots & personally thought he was a lot fitter than I’ve seen him before & our only threat. Not saying he’s a starter but he definitely has goals in him 

1 hour ago, grifty said:

I know Pearson says Brittons issue is his fitness rather than his attitude or ability. Surely he must be fit enough to give him 15-20 mins at the end of a match to give Martin a bit of a break?

Until recently, Nige said he isn’t fit enough to join 1st team training, it’s too intense for him.  Therefore how can you consider him in the first team squad until that point?  What if Martin gets injured in the first minute(s) of a game?  Those were Nige’s points.  And very valid imho….much as we’d all like to see him again at some point.

For info, I’m told he recently passed Rennie’s beep test, so he’s moving in the right direction fitness-wise.

Nige has said he definitely provides impact, so it’s not like he’s being stubborn, but everyone has to reach the standards or the whole thing falls apart.

25 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He's also probably stronger than a lot of centre backs he is coming up against which would also not be the case at championship level.

FWIW, although he whacked a couple of Brentford players in that game last season, and he can be a handful, I don’t see him needing to bully young CBs in u23 football.  I watch him and think the style of u23 football is not actually a great fit for him, and therefore the main thing you see is goals.  That actually comes from good positional sense (a boon for a striker) rather than physicality, and he is a decent finisher.  @Lrrrwill tell you he’s not totally clinical, but he is capable of scoring all types of goals too.  That is something I look for in a striker.

Hes not physical like a Jebbison (18) or Tyreece Simpson (19) or even Keinan Davis at a level up.  He’s more awkward, aggressive, a pest.  I think those who think his levels at u23 level are about physicality and bullying I think are missing the finer points of his game, because the u23s don’t play like that.  He’s actually more wiry than a unit per se.  Once fit he might actually be a better fit for the way the first team play (currently).

23 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Remember Hinds goals against Plymouth and Watford. Fans were very excited.

I will say to this day, we didn’t handle his development well.  Of course he was raw, but he had something.  LJ letting his dad have him that January was nepotism (reverse) at its best.  There are question marks whether he himself made the best too, but I feel we wasted a talent.

Now at Hemel (NLS), couple of goals in a couple of starts (and subs).  @Lrrr crank up the Wyscout data for National League….might be some gems there ???

• Like 1

Pearson’s current mantra is clear: put the effort in, show you are good enough and you will get a chance. He cannot then just put Britton on the bench before he has reached the levels needed as it completely undermines his own philosophy.  Yes we maybe could do with him in the last 20 mins but if he hasn’t past the ‘test’ yet then he cannot get in the squad. As soon as he makes the bench we will know he has improved aspects of his game that needed improving 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

The biggest problem for Hinds to me was how lightweight he looked.

Seeing him at Bath he looked okay but not really that special at that level. Now still at that level. 

He can hit a ball and has pace but little else and like you say hasn't developed much. He looks so lightweight.

He is still 22, nearly 23. Stranger things have happened and maybe this season he may start showing the improvements needed to then move up a level or 2.

Thing is he was 18, turned 19 that January.  For me, he had a chance of being a “Bobby Reid” at some point.  He’s still younger than when Bobby really broke through!  I’m sure he was as good as Bobby mind you, but he could still have done better than be “released by City”.

“Lightweight” can change with the right physical development.  We spent £300k(ish) on him at the time, and it was ultimately wasted.

He will find it hard to bounce back now.  But was Cheltenham, then Wrexham right for him?

4 hours ago, grifty said:

As he did at home to the mighty Brentford last game of the season when he got on for the last 15 and flattened one of their center backs and then got into the box to tap in a goal.