IGNORED

Blatter and Platini charged with fraud!!!

Paulton Red

Whilst they may be found guilty, the historic corruption surrounding these offences is so deep-rooted, extensive and complex that I suspect that, like the odious Warner and his ilk, they will have enough dirt on individuals whose evidence could potentially put them away to be able to keep themselves out of jail. Their reputations will never recover and they’ll go to their respective graves totally despised by decent, football-loving people the world over, but I’m afraid the Teflon twins will dodge the worst of the punishment their greed and dishonesty deserves. It’s the old story: rich and powerful people in positions of influence, including many politicians, get away with murder. Nothing would give me greater satisfaction than to see Qatar cancelled, but as others have said, it won’t happen. Too many fat cats with too much to lose. It stinks.

• Like 1

What really rankles with the World Cup being awarded to Qatar is that it just so blatantly insults the intelligence of any realistic football supporter.

I remember saying at the time that Qatar's undertaking (in their offer) to construct air-conditioned stadia in order to hold the tournament in its traditional summer months was not feasible and, lo and behold, once they received the award, they backtracked and FIFA bowed down - of course, there were no brown envelopes involved! 

It's FIFA's own fault, though, having allowed Blatter and his cronies to give equally ranking votes (and lots of money) to virtual non-entities of football nations so that he remained in an almost totalitarian, autocratic power.