IGNORED

Tonight

Jerseybean

19th place but only 6 points off the play offs, I mention this because it goes to show that after the top few teams how evenly matched and bang average things are in the championship. Birmingham game was dire and there are some troubling signs from recent games, if James is out then I see that being a big problem for the way we play too. However there are lots of examples of clubs above 19th having bad runs for 5 or 6 games already this season and I am hoping that the situation isn't quite as hopeless as it looks right now. The nature of the championship is there are usually lots of winnable games around the corner.

Edited by Baba Yaga
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Derby might be down awat, esp if they get a further points penalty. So to my mind, Barnsley losing would have been preferable. 

Derby have actually accumulated far more points than Barnsley once you take the deduction into account.

With Reading also about to suffer one, Hull struggling big time, Cardiff gaining 1 point from the last 30 available (ha ha) & Peterborough not good, this is the branch I’m clinging on to..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RedM said:

We sit 19th in the table which isn’t nice to see. Amazed to realise,at the moment at least, there are 5 teams worse than us, hardly seems possible. 

2 hours ago, VT05763 said:

We are the worse team in the division. It is a process, we are in freefall.

If you're purely going off the last couple of games, then you guys may have a point.

Across the full season so far though, it's not crazy that there are 5 worse teams than us. We certainly weren't one of the 5 worst teams in the league through August and September.

Really hoping we can return to the standard shown around the start of the season ASAP.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

There is a long way to go. I was saying to someone yesterday I think Barnsley will get going and win games. They could end up above us for sure. Only 8 points behind us with 30 games remaining.

This is why I keep talking about performance. Been saying after watching the terrible Luton and Preston games and almost all games after that our performances have been awful. We have been consistently second best.

Peterborough game is the only game in the last 10 since Cardiff that I feel we were slightly better.

And quite a few on here seemed to think Peterborough were the much better side, so maybe I'm being generous!

It's only because they had such a short team, an 18 year old centre back up against Chris Martin, and in terrible conditions that suited the long ball team that was us. 

We picked up 11 points in those last 10 games since Cardiff. We have been very lucky to get as many points as that. Play like that again in the next 10 and it might be we pick up something like 3-4 points.

If Nige can never work out how to get these players playing better then we will be relegated.

I don’t think we were awful in either of those games, we weren’t great either.  Plus Peterborough, I think people get taken in by pretty passing.  There are two ends to a football pitch.  If we pushed Atkinson in midfield and played 2v2, 3v3 at the back, we would be going ape shit….that’s what Peterborough did, naively.

2 hours ago, VT05763 said:

We are the worse team in the division. It is a process, we are in freefall.

We are in poor form, always difficult to qualify “worse team in the division”.  Cardiff might say “hold my beer”, Hull too.  Unless we are watching every team, every week, it’s really difficult to say.  I’m not saying we aren't struggling but as fans we like to use a bit of the extremities of the English language to describe our position.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Why don’t people think we can start winning again? Teams have bad runs and form. It’s easy to believe it will never end, I’m struggling myself as it’s easy to get into the mindset

I think it's because of a lack of options. Our current plan of playing all 3 of our forwards up front in some sort of loose 4-3-3 whereby Chris Martin often operates as a wide forward just looks so unthreatening. 

On the bench we don't have many game changing options. We have some promising young players on our bench - but how many, if we're really being honest about it, look ready for Championship football? I'd argue only really Scott and Pring, and both still need careful management.

We have highly paid players who have shown they can perform at Championship level (O'Dowda and Palmer), are of an age where you'd expect a first team impact (26 & 24) but are making no positive contribution to the side. 

Fans know we don't have money to change things and in games, even the Barnsley win, we look pretty poor all things considered.

This isn't to say things cannot change, but it looks a real uphill battle. I'd like to think I'm fairly measured but even I am pretty concerned. We really remind me of those awful McInnes/Millen/O'Driscoll sides that struggled for years before an inevitable relegation.

I think Pearson needs time to sort things out, so I wouldn't advocate managerial change. What I do want to see is an extensive upgrade to our recruitment capabilities so we can bring in the right players at the right price at the right time in their careers. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Hopefully at some point we can have James, Williams and Massengo playing together, Semenyo would also be nice to see... 

All 3 MFs have yet to appear together this season.  If you add in Semenyo, he’s played 95 minutes (all off the bench) with James and Massengo, yet to appear with Williams.

Im certainly not saying Semenyo is the saviour by any stretch, but at this point I think he improves us.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think we were awful in either of those games, we weren’t great either.  Plus Peterborough, I think people get taken in by pretty passing.  There are two ends to a football pitch.  If we pushed Atkinson in midfield and played 2v2, 3v3 at the back, we would be going ape shit….that’s what Peterborough did, naively.

We are in poor form, always difficult to qualify “worse team in the division”.  Cardiff might say “hold my beer”, Hull too.  Unless we are watching every team, every week, it’s really difficult to say.  I’m not saying we aren't struggling but as fans we like to use a bit of the extremities of the English language to describe our position.

Yep & I thought we played well v Forest (far better than against Barnsley) but the last 2 minutes completely took away any perspective on the performance.

There is yet another comment in the post you replied to about “luck”.

This is such bollocks, as I posted before in the Forest game we were denied a clear penalty at 1-0 up (a whole year since we had one now) & their winner was a blatant handball.

“Luck” definitely goes both ways.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Hopefully at some point we can have James, Williams and Massengo playing together, Semenyo would also be nice to see... 

I would add a fit King into the mix as well. Even if he's on the bench, at least we would have an experienced player to bring on to help us see games out.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, lenred said:

None of the various form guides show that (it’s actually Cardiff in all but two of the various ones available).  But don’t let the facts get in the way ??

The type of complacency and acceptance of failure that will get us relegated. Much more to this than "form tables" and "stats".

This team is shot and imploding before our eyes.  

Just my opinion and many will disagree.

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep & I thought we played well v Forest (far better than against Barnsley) but the last 2 minutes completely took away any perspective on the performance.

There is yet another comment in the post you replied to about “luck”.

This is such bollocks, as I posted before in the Forest game we were denied a clear penalty at 1-0 up (a whole year since we had one now) & their winner was a blatant handball.

“Luck” definitely goes both ways.

When exactly was our last penalty?

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

There is a long way to go. I was saying to someone yesterday I think Barnsley will get going and win games. They could end up above us for sure. Only 8 points behind us with 30 games remaining.

This is why I keep talking about performance. Been saying after watching the terrible Luton and Preston games and almost all games after that our performances have been awful. We have been consistently second best.

Peterborough game is the only game in the last 10 since Cardiff that I feel we were slightly better.

And quite a few on here seemed to think Peterborough were the much better side, so maybe I'm being generous!

It's only because they had such a short team, an 18 year old centre back up against Chris Martin, and in terrible conditions that suited the long ball team that was us. 

We picked up 11 points in those last 10 games since Cardiff. We have been very lucky to get as many points as that. Play like that again in the next 10 and it might be we pick up something like 3-4 points.

If Nige can never work out how to get these players playing better then we will be relegated.

"We have been very lucky to get as many points as that"

Here we go again!

You think all points gained are "lucky" but if we lose in injury time, that's not bad luck, it's the managers fault!!!

Shows up your real beef doesn't it?

The atmosphere on here is so bloody negative and is certainly not (thankfully) showing up at Ashton Gate, well not that I've heard anyway.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

The type of complacency and acceptance of failure that will get us relegated. Much more to this than "form tables" and "stats".

This team is shot and imploding before our eyes.  

Just my opinion and many will disagree.

Not sure why you laughed at my post.  Like I said it’s facts.  Absolutely no complacency whatsoever here however I can assure you and tbh I’m not seeing that anywhere else on the board in any great amounts.  I’ve been consistent in saying that we are in for a hell of a struggle this season. It’s not an acceptance of failure - we are in a complete state at the moment as has been well documented across many posts.  But I do think we will do stay up just about. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If the two other games you mean are Preston and Luton then I disagree. Preston performance was not as bad as Luton,

So, just to be clear, we weren’t as bad v Preston….but both class as awful.  That’s fine, just trying to understand the differential. Ta

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

"We have been very lucky to get as many points as that"

Here we go again!

You think all points gained are "lucky" but if we lose in injury time, that's not bad luck, it's the managers fault!!!

Shows up your real beef doesn't it?

The atmosphere on here is so bloody negative and is certainly not (thankfully) showing up at Ashton Gate, well not that I've heard anyway.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, VT05763 said:

When was the last time we had the ball under control in the oppositions box ?

Pretty sure Weimann had it under control when he scored his second v Barnsley.

Or was it when Scott was tripped v Forest and a blatant penalty wasn’t given?

Some embarrassing lack of perspective on here.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Pretty sure Weimann had it under control when he scored his second v Barnsley.

Or was it when Scott was tripped v Forest and a blatant penalty wasn’t given?

Some embarrassing lack of perspective on here.

Or true feelings / agenda now coming out.

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Or true feelings / agenda now coming out.

Not sure on the "coming out" part.

Have consistently said that the coaching, management and organisation currently is woeful. Excuses are being made and people who haven't been at the club for months are being blamed as a deflection.

There is an acceptance of failure and player blaming to justify what is going on. 

We will go down if things continue  as they have for the last month.

These players are not useless and uncoachable.

All just my opinion though and currently still in the minority but will not be drinking the Kool Aid thank you.

1 minute ago, VT05763 said:

Not sure on the "coming out" part.

Have consistently said that the coaching, management and organisation currently is woeful. Excuses are being made and people who haven't been at the club for months are being blamed as a deflection.

There is an acceptance of failure and player blaming to justify what is going on. 

We will go down if things continue  as they have for the last month.

These players are not useless and uncoachable.

All just my opinion though and currently still in the minority but will not be drinking the Kool Aid thank you.

I wasn’t aiming at you. ?

You’ve been fairly consistent, watching, summarising, etc, never getting too high or low….expressing your views, usually with a touch of concern, all the way through.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

What agenda Dave? 

That they don’t like / rate / want Pearson.  As soon as we lose, they come out in force, rarely explain why.

I really like seeing well explained polar opposite views, gives me something to reflect my own views on.

I remember my early days on here (I’ve not been on here that long believe it or not) having a bit of an “argument” with either Keepuplino or Ivorguy, I forget which, about SL in fact.  I was quite pro the Bristol Sport model, and then they explained why they had a completely different view.  It made me review my own take and actually made me think very differently.  I didn’t join the dark side per se, but I saw it wasn’t rose-tinted for sure.  It was one of the reasons I started looking into the financial side / FFP.

• Like 2