IGNORED

Tonight

Jerseybean

51 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think Pearson needs time to sort things out, so I wouldn't advocate managerial change. What I do want to see is an extensive upgrade to our recruitment capabilities so we can bring in the right players at the right price at the right time in their careers. 

I’ve been saying that all along.

I don’t  how many times I’ve said it but  ‘Rome wasn’t built in a day’  and there will humps an bumps along the road but I remain very confident that Nige will turn the club around.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I’ve been saying that all along.

I don’t  how many times I’ve said it but  ‘Rome wasn’t built in a day’  and there will humps an bumps along the road but I remain very confident that Nige will turn the club around.

It is the coaching and tactics that really concern me. Sort that out and we have the playing squad to be mid table. 

Find it very strange that it hasn't happened despite the shambles currently on show.

Hopefully, as he hinted, things will change.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

That they don’t like / rate / want Pearson.  As soon as we lose, they come out in force, rarely explain why.

I really like seeing well explained polar opposite views, gives me something to reflect my own views on.

I remember my early days on here (I’ve not been on here that long believe it or not) having a bit of an “argument” with either Keepuplino or Ivorguy, I forget which, about SL in fact.  I was quite pro the Bristol Sport model, and then they explained why they had a completely different view.  It made me review my own take and actually made me think very differently.  I didn’t join the dark side per se, but I saw it wasn’t rose-tinted for sure.  It was one of the reasons I started looking into the financial side / FFP.

That’s pretty obvious Dave. It’s always been that way on otib and why I avoid here after a defeat. Certain posters just enjoy being negative and criticise all things City - the very ones that claim to support Bristol City FC.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s pretty obvious Dave. It’s always been that way on otib and why I avoid here after a defeat. Certain posters just enjoy being negative and criticise all things City - the very ones that claim to support Bristol City FC.

Even you must admit that there has not been much to get exited about for quite a while now so if we didn't moan or show concern there would be little to talk about, I would say the postings are split fairly evenly between slagging and support considering the rubbish we have had to put up with.

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

Even you must admit that there has not been much to get exited about for quite a while now so if we didn't moan or show concern there would be little to talk about, I would say the postings are split fairly evenly between slagging and support considering the rubbish we have had to put up with.

Moan an concern is absolutely fine….it’s when it has no explanation / reason, just bland statement.

48 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

When was the last time we had the ball under control in the oppositions box ?

Last home game, great through ball to Wells. Rolling nicely but with plenty of time and literally just outside the six yard box, he blazes it high and wide.

Right in front of me, I couldn't believe this was the player most on here want playing centrally.

At least make the keeper make a save. Would have removed all the pressure should he have scored.

By the way, would never have been a penalty because no one was within 10 yards of him!!!

1 minute ago, Galley is our king said:

Last home game, great through ball to Wells. Rolling nicely but with plenty of time and literally just outside the six yard box, he blazes it high and wide.

Right in front of me, I couldn't believe this was the player most on here want playing centrally.

At least make the keeper make a save. Would have removed all the pressure should he have scored.

By the way, would never have been a penalty because no one was within 10 yards of him!!!

Yes, you are right, I was close to that also.

22 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

It is the coaching and tactics that really concern me. Sort that out and we have the playing squad to be mid table. 

Find it very strange that it hasn't happened despite the shambles currently on show.

What do you class as mid table? We're currently 2 points off 14th, 3pts off 13th and 4pts off 11th, with just over a third of the season gone.

Just trying to work out what is accepted as "midtable". I'd have said 10th - 14th probably

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

What do you class as mid table? We're currently 2 points off 14th, 3pts off 13th and 4pts off 11th, with just over a third of the season gone.

Just trying to work out what is accepted as "midtable". I'd have said 10th - 14th probably

8th - 16th?

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes that's about right.

We are currently 19th.

32 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It’s all relative though isn’t it. We are 19th but closer to the play offs than relegation. The actual numerical position in the table is fairly meaningless as it’s relative to the position of the other teams.

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

Hopefully, as he hinted, things will change.

Some on here think that the players we have are ok but the manager isn't very good.

Others think that the manager we have is ok but the players aren't very good.

Truth is, none of us really know which one it is do we?

1 minute ago, sludge said:

Some on here think that the players we have are ok but the manager isn't very good.

It is a bit of both but to which degree is the debate I think.

2 minutes ago, sludge said:

Prob more that the players aren't very good, Having said that Pearson should be doing better for sure.

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Prob more that the players aren't very good, Having said that Pearson should be doing better for sure.

Good example right here -

I for instance am on the other side to this thinking that Pearson hasn't been very good but the players should be doing better for sure.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It would be nice to see a settled side / system, of late it’s been a right old mix.  And as I always say, it’s very difficult to assess during constant change.

Think he has gone down the system first and trying to get players to fit into it.

Now I am "normally" very much in the players to suit the system camp but right now for us with no prospect of bring any suitable players for this system in the near future we should be finding a system to suit the players we are "stuck" with.

It is certainly not working currently.

1 minute ago, VT05763 said:

Think he has gone down the system first and trying to get players to fit into it.

Now I am "normally" very much in the players to suit the system camp but right now for us with no prospect of bring any suitable players for this system in the near future we should be finding a system to suit the players we are "stuck" with.

It is certainly not working currently.

I don’t think 721 would go down well!

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

Not sure on the "coming out" part.

Have consistently said that the coaching, management and organisation currently is woeful. Excuses are being made and people who haven't been at the club for months are being blamed as a deflection.

There is an acceptance of failure and player blaming to justify what is going on. 

We will go down if things continue  as they have for the last month.

These players are not useless and uncoachable.

All just my opinion though and currently still in the minority but will not be drinking the Kool Aid thank you.

Yes we will go down if this carries on . To not blame the people who put us in this mess though is very blinkered . Who assembled the squad in general ? Who employed the person who assembled this squad. With a spiralling wage bill & clear neglect that allowed 12 players to walk away with out being able to recoup any money on them. Was that Nigel Pearson ? I’ll answer that. The answer is no. He’s inherited a ******* mess of a club that’s been allowed to drift rudderless for 4 years . However , some people want to blame the manager , who in relative terms has been here 5 minutes. 
Please name a manager that would be attainable , that could come in & turn it around in just a few games. With what is quite honestly a squad that is largely not fit for purpose. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Yes we will go down if this carries on . To not blame the people who put us in this mess though is very blinkered . Who assembled the squad in general ? Who employed the person who assembled this squad. With a spiralling wage bill & clear neglect that allowed 12 players to walk away with out being able to recoup any money on them. Was that Nigel Pearson ? I’ll answer that. The answer is no. He’s inherited a ******* mess of a club that’s been allowed to drift rudderless for 4 years . However , some people want to blame the manager , who in relative terms has been here 5 minutes. 
Please name a manager that would be attainable , that could come in & turn it around in just a few games. With what is quite honestly a squad that is largely not fit for purpose. 

Ryan Lowe.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It would be nice to see a settled side / system, of late it’s been a right old mix.  And as I always say, it’s very difficult to assess during constant change.

The familiar curse of injuries prevent that from happening. Williams and Baker along with Semenyo and recently James. There’s three or four that would be in the starting 11.

Nige has had to introduce youngsters to fill the places but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. It’s all first team experience after all.

It must be every managers dream to have a fully fit squad to select from.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

That they don’t like / rate / want Pearson.  As soon as we lose, they come out in force, rarely explain why.

I really like seeing well explained polar opposite views, gives me something to reflect my own views on.

I remember my early days on here (I’ve not been on here that long believe it or not) having a bit of an “argument” with either Keepuplino or Ivorguy, I forget which, about SL in fact.  I was quite pro the Bristol Sport model, and then they explained why they had a completely different view.  It made me review my own take and actually made me think very differently.  I didn’t join the dark side per se, but I saw it wasn’t rose-tinted for sure.  It was one of the reasons I started looking into the financial side / FFP.

I think that’s a little unfair, Dave.  I think both ‘sides’ have made it pretty clear why they hold the views they do about Pearson.  If anything, the sort of comments I’ve found hardest to accept have been the fairly frequent “If you can’t see what Pearson is doing and what progress he is making you must be a moron” comments.

I’m not sure that winning and losing makes a huge amount of difference.  I certainly came away from Ashton on Saturday feeling only marginally more cheerful than if we’d lost.  What has been so dispiriting is the lack of cohesion and the lack of fight in the team, and the inability of the manager to do anything about it.

I have nothing against Pearson (I met him once three or four years ago and had an interesting conversation with him, in the course of which I got the impression he didn’t think much of Bristol City) but I am worried that he is not motivating the team, and I am concerned by some of his selections and his substitutions.  I have a good friend who is a Leicester fan and still believes that Pearson walks on water, but everyone has a sell-by date and I worry that in the past three years the game has moved on and Pearson hasn’t moved with it.

That said I understand why people are defensive of him, but at the moment I think both sides can probably accept that there are good arguments for and against retaining him.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The familiar curse of injuries prevent that from happening. Williams and Baker along with Semenyo and recently James. There’s three or four that would be in the starting 11.

Nige has had to introduce youngsters to fill the places but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. It’s all first team experience after all.

It must be every managers dream to have a fully fit squad to select from.

Our injury "jinx" hasn't seemed to have improved much if at all despite the change in medical personnel.

Which is disappointing 

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think that’s a little unfair, Dave.  I think both ‘sides’ have made it pretty clear why they hold the views they do about Pearson.  If anything, the sort of comments I’ve found hardest to accept have been the fairly frequent “If you can’t see what Pearson is doing and what progress he is making you must be a moron” comments.

I’m not sure that winning and losing makes a huge amount of difference.  I certainly came away from Ashton on Saturday feeling only marginally more cheerful than if we’d lost.  What has been so dispiriting is the lack of cohesion and the lack of fight in the team, and the inability of the manager to do anything about it.

I have nothing against Pearson (I met him once three or four years ago and had an interesting conversation with him, in the course of which I got the impression he didn’t think much of Bristol City) but I am worried that he is not motivating the team, and I am concerned by some of his selections and his substitutions.  I have a good friend who is a Leicester fan and still believes that Pearson walks on water, but everyone has a sell-by date and I worry that in the past three years the game has moved on and Pearson hasn’t moved with it.

That said I understand why people are defensive of him, but at the moment I think both sides can probably accept that there are good arguments for and against retaining him.

Great post