IGNORED

New Season - New Start!

bobby

it would be that easy??

I know many predicted a storming start to the season (myself included) but thinking about it, how many really thought it would be that simple.....

1 - Sack the old manager - had too long, not committed, doesn't live here anyway etc etc

2 - Get rid of the rubbish players from last year (Burnell, Peacock, Carey, Brown etc) all of whom got stick on here and were not rated by many

3 - Get in a new manager who is city through and through and committed to getting us promotion

4 - Bring in a goalscorer (Heffernan/Gillespie)

5 - Change the tactics away from boring old 4-4-2

6 - Play stylish attacking football - what we all want, doesn't matter if we concede loads as long as it is exciting

All the above was what many were calling for all last season and now that is what has happened we give it one game then all the criticism begins. What Saturday shows is that it is never that simple. Yes we may now have the right players, with some excellent prospects coming through from the academy, and yes we may well have a very committed management team, but we still have a load of problem areas on the pitch to overcome, but 1 game is way to soon to judge. However, constructive criticism and analysis of performance is what this forum is all about.

I drew positives and negatives from Saturday's game -

Positives

good passing football on occasions

good displays from Anyinsah, Phillips, Smith, Fortune, Doherty and Orr

a well taken goal from Leroy

Negatives

front 3 not working together well enough

no target man on pitch

midfield too narrow

defence looked suspect too often

set pieces appalling (still)

So lots to work on, and hopefully after a few more games Tinnion will settle on which front 3 works best, the players will be a little more used to the formation and players such as Doherty and Bell will be fit and ready for a full 90 mins.

it would be that easy??

I know many predicted a storming start to the season (myself included) but thinking about it, how many really thought it would be that simple.....

1 - Sack the old manager - had too long, not committed, doesn't live here anyway etc etc

2 - Get rid of the rubbish players from last year (Burnell, Peacock, Carey, Brown etc) all of whom got stick on here and were not rated by many

3 - Get in a new manager who is city through and through and committed to getting us promotion

4 - Bring in a goalscorer (Heffernan/Gillespie)

5 - Change the tactics away from boring old 4-4-2

6 - Play stylish attacking football - what we all want, doesn't matter if we concede loads as long as it is exciting

All the above was what many were calling for all last season and now that is what has happened we give it one game then all the criticism begins.  What Saturday shows is that it is never that simple.  Yes we may now have the right players, with some excellent prospects coming through from the academy, and yes we may well have a very committed management team, but we still have a load of problem areas on the pitch to overcome, but 1 game is way to soon to judge.  However, constructive criticism and analysis of performance is what this forum is all about. 

I drew positives and negatives from Saturday's game -

Positives

good passing football on occasions

good displays from Anyinsah, Phillips, Smith, Fortune, Doherty and Orr

a well taken goal from Leroy

Negatives

front 3 not working together well enough

no target man on pitch

midfield too narrow

defence looked suspect too often

set pieces appalling (still)

So lots to work on, and hopefully after a few more games Tinnion will settle on which front 3 works best, the players will be a little more used to the formation and players such as Doherty and Bell will be fit and ready for a full 90 mins.

The most sensible post I've read all day

:P:laugh:

More a less right.

DOnt agree with the formation comment- 4-4-2 is a good solid formation that is proven to work. + You cnat really say DOherty played well he only had 20mins- he was neither good or bad

Actually I agree with you, 4-4-2 is a good formation (my comment was on basis of comments from others). Personally with the right players fit I would be tempted to play 4-4-2 on occasions and 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 at other times - players should be adaptable enough to be comfortable with any of those.

Also whilst Tommy was on only briefly, I did think he changed the direction of play and we seemed to go up a tempo when he came on.

Guest yajrellim

it really depends on how you deploy a formation to whether it is attacking or not.

eg last season in the end we had

.........gk.........

rb....cb....cb....cb

wg....cm....cm....lb

......cf....cf......

but to get the best out of it you need

............gk............

rb......cb......cb......lb

rm/wg....cm....cm....lm/wg

..targetman...goalscorer..

it is my opinion of course

Guest TheOne

Yup said that all along about Rookies Spamming city only after 92 minutes of the season, that type of Criticism does nobody any favours.

Archived