IGNORED

Soft Touch?

Davefevs

When was the last time we picked up a yellow card for a strong challenge?  It’s all little trips (Bakinson - which I liked) and shirt pulls.

By my reckoning it was Cameron Pring v Luton, when he left one on Harry Cornick.

Need a few more George Tanner tackles.

Let their opposite number know they’ve been in a battle.

COYR

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When was the last time we picked up a yellow card for a strong challenge?  It’s all little trips (Bakinson - which I liked) and shirt pulls.

By my reckoning it was Cameron Pring v Luton, when he left one on Harry Cornick.

COYR

Absolutely agree. I thought at the beginning of the season we would see a more combative city side. But the Bournemouth game for example we didn’t even touch them. When IMO we needed to get in there faces and treat it like a FA cup game as we couldn’t match them footballing wise. I’m really hoping today we get stuck in. As at the moment we are miles off. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Absolutely agree. I thought at the beginning of the season we would see a more combative city side. But the Bournemouth game for example we didn’t even touch them. When IMO we needed to get in there faces and treat it like a FA cup game as we couldn’t match them footballing wise. I’m really hoping today we get stuck in. As at the moment we are miles off. 

Funny I was just about to reply about the same game, I said to my mate we need to get a bit stronger and harder with them, but his view was we could not get close enough to foul them. But it shows the difference, a team that totally bossed us, picked up to yellow cards for Cahill and Kelly, and we picked up none.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

COYR

As per usual, you’re spot on.

I have been crying out in the south stand for someone in our team to physically let their opposite number know that they’re in for a tough game.

It is so frustrating seeing our half hearted attempt at a press. We stop 3 yards short of the man every bloody time. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

COYR

I like a good leveler early in a tough game.  Put some fear in em early doors. 

• Like 2

Remember Andy Gray commenting on a game.. forget who was playing, but his words stuck with me, describing the full back he said in his dour Scottish accent… *typical old school full back, the ball can go pas me, the winger can go past me… but you’re not both going past me”  ?

• Like 1

Apart from Kalas who certainly made the Barnsley players aware he was up for the physical challenge, we have been poor at this.

Loads of examples in midweek when we were second best in terms of physical play.

Not suggesting he returns but this is one area Danny Simpson gives us more, he’s not averse to an off the ball bit of nonsense.

• Like 1

I never played football to any great standard. I was technically awful. But... I could do three things really well

1) Tackle - i'm not a big bloke. But i would never ever ever bottle a tackle. EVER. As a student we played park footy against a load of local Manchester boys. Effing rough. They totally respected "little Dave" though cos I got stuck in. Nailed a couple of them too. Just as I also got nailed. Spent a good few hours in A&E ?

2) Simple pass. Win the ball, head up and pass. Quickly offloading to a team mate in space.

3) Shooting. A loose ball on the 18 yard box was mine. I was never afraid to have a dig.

I played without fear. My techical ability wasn't good, but I have a footballing brain, i knew my weaknesses and was constantly chatting to my team mates about position - where do you want me and where are you going?

Basics innit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

COYR

Completely agree. We tend to stand off players or get out-muscled. Other sides always appear to be physically stronger. We need to get in their faces more. 

21 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

As per usual, you’re spot on.

I have been crying out in the south stand for someone in our team to physically let their opposite number know that they’re in for a tough game.

It is so frustrating seeing our half hearted attempt at a press. We stop 3 yards short of the man every bloody time. 

Even more frustrating is our total lack of a second and third press, thus allowing the player on the ball one or two easy options to bypass the press . Without this the initial press is a total waste of time. And talking about pressing can someone explain to me why Andi Weimann keeps running 40 yards to close down the opposition goalkeeper to absolutely no effect apart from wasting valuable energy.

18 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I never played football to any great standard. I was technically awful. But... I could do three things really well

1) Tackle - i'm not a big bloke. But i would never ever ever bottle a tackle. EVER. As a student we played park footy against a load of local Manchester boys. Effing rough. They totally respected "little Dave" though cos I got stuck in. Nailed a couple of them too. Just as I also got nailed. Spent a good few hours in A&E ?

2) Simple pass. Win the ball, head up and pass. Quickly offloading to a team mate in space.

3) Shooting. A loose ball on the 18 yard box was mine. I was never afraid to have a dig.

I played without fear. My techical ability wasn't good, but I have a footballing brain, i knew my weaknesses and was constantly chatting to my team mates about position - where do you want me and where are you going?

Basics innit.

Bring yer boots Dave, what time can you get there mate ???

Edited by bpexile
  • Like 1

Just now, Sir Geoff said:

Even more frustrating is our total lack of a second and third press, thus allowing the player on the ball one or two easy options to bypass the press . Without this the initial press is a total waste of time. And talking about pressing can someone explain to me why Andi Weimann keeps running 40 yards to close down the opposition goalkeeper to absolutely no effect apart from wasting valuable energy.

I agree with most of your post, but I do think just because goalkeepers tend to be somewhat better at dealing with the back pass now does not mean you shouldn’t still try to close him down. Especially if it’s wet or windy. 

1 minute ago, OddBallJim said:

I agree with most of your post, but I do think just because goalkeepers tend to be somewhat better at dealing with the back pass now does not mean you shouldn’t still try to close him down. Especially if it’s wet or windy. 

Agree that it should be done on occassions and the proof of that was Semenyo last year. Unfortunately Weimann does not have Semenyos pace. Most of Weimanns are pointless and he fails to put any pressure on the keeper. (not having a go at Weimann as he is one of our better players more the coaching staff who should be coaching him when to go and when to stay put).

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

COYR

What we need is a moment to spark some passion, like when Orr and Carey got into a fight at Northampton. Totally transformed the side and the season. 

31 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

If the back pass is a bit dodgy, by all means hare after it.  Otherwise, get back into shape, and press as a unit.

• Like 2

I thought this was going to be the first thing corrected when NP came in.

Could have picked up a couple of "relatively" cheap and affordable enforcer types in the Summer. CM and CF especially.

I actually think Baker and Kalas are fine as combative CHs. 

Agree we are too soft all over the pitch and this is why I am surprised we have been playing such a direct, high turn-over style of football with these players.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

COYR

On reflection Baker v Forest certainly let Brennan Johnson know he was about, a couple of really aggressive tackles.

Mistimed the one on Spence for the penalty but had imposed himself on his opponent before that, to be fair.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

On reflection Baker v Forest certainly let Brennan Johnson know he was about, a couple of really aggressive tackles.

Mistimed the one on Spence for the penalty but had imposed himself on his opponent before that, to be fair.

Yep, I should’ve said “excluding Nathan Baker” in my OP.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

baker frightens me when hes got his aggressive head on,in a way that im worried we would soon be down to 10 men

23 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Pretty sure I remember in an interview before someone saying he puts himself about up at Failand as well, and especially lets the new guys know what he's about.

If 21 year old Tanner in his first season here can do it why can't most of the rest?

It's not just about being strong or big, it's about fully committing when you do do something. Doesn't even have to be in a challenge - Kalas'(?) 2 footed karate clearance the other day would put a message across as much as him going through someone.

Would love to see a bit more of that in the first 5-10m every game. Get stuck in to O'Hare early on today.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Today is the day it all changes…I hope.

That's the problem Dave, we have to hope as there are few signs that the softness is going away.

Mind you, being a soft touch has been the default setting of the club for an awful lot of the (very long) time I have been a supporter.

Let's hope Nige is around long enough to change the culture.

We do seem to have a bit of a habit for "bottling" big challenges. I've always felt that many 50-50's are decided before either player reaches the ball (i.e. I'm coming towards the ball flat out and looking aggressive - do you have the balls to match my aggression/commitment?). Quite often I think our answer to such a question is "No".

Don't mean to pick on individuals, but Bakinson has been guilty of this multiple times in the last couple of games, for example. 

• Like 1