IGNORED

Lansdown

Banjo Red

Just now, CHIPLEY RED said:

I have to agree with this sentiment.

Steve Lansdown has backed managers in the transfer market, in NP he brought in the manager we all wanted. FFP will mean transfers will be restricted whatever SL wants to do.

Look at Rovers when they got a new owner they were coming for us now they are struggling in league 2.

I think it's time people stopped blaming SL, LJ or MA. The team are getting worse and that has got to be down to the manager and coaches. I thought NP was going to make us serious challengers in this division but his record with us has got relegation written all over it.

The form under NP is not down to SL who has and still is a good owner.

I'm afraid that after 20 years it's time people woke up and STARTED blaming SL. It's his decisions. SL has been one of the least accomplished billionaire owners in British football history!

LJ and MA were his trusted men...the current debacle is down to the three of them. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

Just now, Red Exile said:

I'm afraid that after 20 years it's time people woke up and STARTED blaming SL. It's his decisions. SL has been one of the least accomplished billionaire owners in British football history!

LJ and MA were his trusted men...the current debacle is down to the three of them. 

Completely agree. There are still so many on here that don't realise what a mess we are in after all of the dross MA & LJ spunked money on. SL ultimately is to blame as like he told us it is his club and he will do as he likes.

4 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Good God !

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Just go, his lack of anything is showing through

Apart from the odd 100 million and ongoing losses each year.

It's easy for keyboard idiots to just sprout go, without any concept of how that could even be remotely possible or what type of person could end up running the club, at least with SL we know we will still have a club.

Not saying SL has not made mistakes which are easy to criticise with hindsight, but believe they have been made with the honest intention of improving the club.

You only have to look across the city to see what we could end up with instead

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Keepers Ball said:

Well his useless Son has gone into hiding. The Egg chasing squatters won today and he hasn't commented or liked the result on Twitter.

He knows he wouldn't dare.

The thing is there not squatters any more lansdowns made sure Ashton gates as much for the rugby as it is football . Lots of rumours the south stands being renamed after a rugby player as well.

Just now, sh1t_ref_again said:

Dread to think where we would be without it

He bought the club, the whole club, and choked off any further interest or investment from anyone else in one of the biggest, and more prosperous, cities in one of the wealthiest countries in the world, and has operated a closed shop for 20 years. The club has been entirely run by him and one or two friends.

I appreciate that we are all City fans. I don't doubt that Lansdown's supporters want the best for City. But it has to be accepted that whilst he's spent millions on a nice couple of stands, football-wise he's achieved next to nothing...in 20 years.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

I have to agree with this sentiment.

Steve Lansdown has backed managers in the transfer market, in NP he brought in the manager we all wanted. FFP will mean transfers will be restricted whatever SL wants to do.

Look at Rovers when they got a new owner they were coming for us now they are struggling in league 2.

I think it's time people stopped blaming SL, LJ or MA. The team are getting worse and that has got to be down to the manager and coaches. I thought NP was going to make us serious challengers in this division but his record with us has got relegation written all over it.

The form under NP is not down to SL who has and still is a good owner.

Disagree. SL is a gullible fool in the football world. He’s been hoodwinked by both Johnsons and Ashton.

For the first time in my life, we had a proper football structure in place when Cotterill took over and he brought it all together.

Sadly, that snake Ashton was lurking in the background undermining the good work the likes of real football people like SOD and Burt had put in. 

NP is the first footballing person since then the club has employed and he’s bitten off more than he can chew, both with the players at his disposal and the lack of resources. 

I agree we look like relegation fodder, but that’s on SL for presiding over this shower of shit and allowing the previous regime to ride roughshod.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Red Exile said:

He bought the club, the whole club, and choked off any further interest or investment from anyone else in one of the biggest, and more prosperous, cities in one of the wealthiest countries in the world, and has operated a closed shop for 20 years. The club has been entirely run by him and one or two friends.

I appreciate that we are all City fans. I don't doubt that Lansdown's supporters want the best for City. But it has to be accepted that whilst he's spent millions on a nice couple of stands, football-wise he's achieved next to nothing...in 20 years.

Don't disagree and sure SL himself is not happy with current or past football achievements, but that does not mean he cannot get it right. He could have gambled and we could have gone up or we could be like Derby or other teams who have fallen further. 

SL himself has said they would talk to anyone who can make further investment to take the club forward, but does not seem to have a queue at his door.

So all this SL should go each time we loose a few games is silly school boy nonsence

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, tin said:

Disagree. SL is a gullible fool in the football world. He’s been hoodwinked by both Johnsons and Ashton.

For the first time in my life, we had a proper football structure in place when Cotterill took over and he brought it all together.

Sadly, that snake Ashton was lurking in the background undermining the good work the likes of real football people like SOD and Burt had put in. 

NP is the first footballing person since then the club has employed and he’s bitten off more than he can chew, both with the players at his disposal and the lack of resources. 

I agree we look like relegation fodder, but that’s on SL for presiding over this shower of shit and allowing the previous regime to ride roughshod.

Lot of truth in that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Don't disagree and sure SL himself is not happy with current or past football achievements, but that does not mean he cannot get it right. He could have gambled and we could have gone up or we could be like Derby or other teams who have fallen further. 

SL himself has said they would talk to anyone who can make further investment to take the club forward, but does not seem to have a queue at his door.

So all this SL should go each time we loose a few games is silly school boy nonsence

I've made the same arguments for a decade or more. 

Have you ever met the man? Nice enough chap. I've bought him a drink but I'm not surprised he doesn't have a queue at his door. It's his club. His project. End of.

He's had 20 years to get it right. Sadly for all all of us I can't see it happening soon. Another relegation beckons.

(btw the repost to 'silly school boy' is 'cap doffing'.)

• Like 2

Just now, Bedred31 said:

Time for SL to decide whether we respect FFP and go down or breach it, take the financial consequences, and move on and, hopefully,up. It worked for Bournemouth.

He's already decided. That's why NP has to slash the wage bill and has little to no transfer kitty. 

The oily bloke in Suffolk pissed it all up the wall. 

• Like 4

I have always been a great supporter of what MR Lansdown has tried to do with our football club and the rest of his sporting involvement. However it has usually resulted in failure, especially in the more difficult competitive football side of things.

My involvement and support of SL, started with the plans to build a new stadium at AV, although I loved Ashton Gate, I thought it was the best way for us as a club and the region to move forward and play a more major part in the football world. I spent so much of my time, as did others, fighting the case for the stadium and other related developments, yet I was surprised at the naivety of the people running the show and the ability of amateurs to run rings around them and always be one step ahead. I offered loads of information about who they were up against and what plans they had. I informed them of proposed meetings of those opposed and, the fact that they were eligible to be a bonafide member of that group, as they were a business within the area, this would have completely scuppered their plans. They chose to ignore every piece of information I handed them. Even when it could be proven that a commercial enterprise was being carried out on AV, rendering part of the opposition evidence useless. In the end, I had the development team from Sainsbury's contacting me the day prior to the planning meeting, asking if there was anything they thought I could say which would help the case. My advice was to show up the objectors for what they were, duplicated groups opposed to the developments, numbering less than a couple of hundred joined at the hips well organised idealists. This was just to highlight that the supposed opposition was not as great as projected.

Sadly, the main man employed by SL was a good administrator, that new how to fill in forms and do things the correct way. Unfortunately, he never had an ounce of fight in his body, he was ably assisted by the owners son and his right hand man. They were all too nice, and never knew how to fight just a little dirty, to get their way.

I believe this is the main problem with SL, his inability to appoint a slightly maverick type man, who's willing to do things and bend things just a little, to get what he wants and be successful. After all, he's an accountant and, has spent his life using tried and tested formulas for business success, which is fine in money management terms but, does it work with Humans?

I sense a fear of success, unless done using university graduates in every department of the business.

If I was ever fortunate to own/run a football club, the first question I'd ask prior to making a decision would be, does it help the team win? Second, does it hinder the team? If it's a no to the first and a yes to the second, don't make that decision.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

?? 

I have no doubt this is true. Ably assisted by Holden and Jon Lansdown. However until a deal goes through to buy Bristol Sport nothing will change. So we best all buckle up and pray an Asian/Middle Eastern businessman/consortium buys it all!

31 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I've made the same arguments for a decade or more. 

Have you ever met the man? Nice enough chap. I've bought him a drink but I'm not surprised he doesn't have a queue at his door. It's his club. His project. End of.

He's had 20 years to get it right. Sadly for all all of us I can't see it happening soon. Another relegation beckons.

(btw the repost to 'silly school boy' is 'cap doffing'.)

I’ve met Lansdown several times. I know others who have too.

On the occasions I met him his reasons for becoming involved in BCFC were evident - and it was nothing to do with football or our club. 

Reminded me then of previous involvement with other men who’d been successful in business and who thought those skills were transferable into a football environment.

They too found that they weren’t. Permed hair. Fat cigars. Mercedes Benz. They stuck around for a bit and stuffed notes into boots and bought drinks in the bar but when a better offer presented itself they and “their” players moved on……

The fact of the matter is that, to my mind and based on first hand conversations I’ve had with Lansdown and his like, he and others like him have little if any knowledge, or real interest, in footballing matters.

The skills they have or don’t have that’s made them (money) successful in other aspects of their lives don’t work, or are compromised, when it comes to football.

Lansdown said he’d make us proud. Winning against 10 men and losing again. Who feels proud tonight?

Edited by BigAl&Toby
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

It's easy for keyboard idiots to just sprout go, without any concept of how that could even be remotely possible or what type of person could end up running the club, at least with SL we know we will still have a club.

Not saying SL has not made mistakes which are easy to criticise with hindsight, but believe they have been made with the honest intention of improving the club.

Exactly. The sack the board mentality is alive and well on this forum. Change of ownership means a willing buyer!  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly. The sack the board mentality is alive and well on this forum. Change of ownership means a willing buyer!  

I wonder when 'sack the board' or anything like it was heard at Ashton Gate? Steve Lansdown has had it very easy over the years!

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Or you could look at endless other smaller clubs than ours who have done better than us.

Dont be afraid of change, embrace i

His mistakes have cost him and ultimately will cost our football team

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

I wonder when 'sack the board' or anything like it was heard at Ashton Gate? Steve Lansdown has had it very easy over the years!

Oooh the early 80s just for starters. Of course the administrators helped with that. At least a couple of times since then. Most of the time it means nothing just people blowing off steam. 

However from a personal perspective this is the maddest I’ve been this season. Wtf. Last minute goals to against Forest, but a 45 minute shitfest where we lost 3/1 to ten men. Ffs!