IGNORED

Reflections…..

TomThumb84

7 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

For me……

Probably been all said elsewhere but today is one of the biggest lows that our club has produced in recent years.

I cannot for one second begin to imagine how those players can sleep tonight or call themselves professional footballers without cringing.

I played at an alright standard, and if I had been part of a side that was out-tried, out-ran, and out-thought by 10 men whilst holding a one goal advantage - TWICE - I am not sure how I could have looked anyone in the eye, and this lot do it for a living.

Said it before and I will say it again, there is something very wrong culturally throughout this club.

This may get a lot worse before it gets better.

I said it on a different thread earlier, there are a few on here who played to an alright standard in strong dressing rooms with people prepared to have their say and to **** what the Manager thinks and a performance like that today would have been sorted right out after the game. Massengo would have been up pinned up against the dressing room wall by one or two I played with after that winner. Who, in our dressing room, has got that about them? That's what concerns me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

I said it on a different thread earlier, there are a few on here who played to an alright standard in strong dressing rooms with people prepared to have their say and to **** what the Manager thinks and a performance like that today would have been sorted right out after the game. Massengo would have been up pinned up against the dressing room wall by one or two I played with after that winner. Who, in our dressing room, has got that about them? That's what concerns me.

Just edited my post to say exactly that!!

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Ashton ensured no aggressive players were brought in during his tenure.

Only “good humans” (pussies) for BCFC

• Like 9

1 minute ago, The Gasbuster said:

Who was it wanted 'unpleasant' non family-friendly players like Luke Ayling out of the club? I think it was more likely the man at the very top. This is down to the Lansdowns setting the standards for what they want this club to represent. Nice squeaky clean, well spoken lads like COD - who haven't got a nasty bone in their bodies. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

And since he’s left we have signed Simpson who’s a nasty piece of work(granted only to women)and the other 2 who let’s be honest wouldn’t get in anybody else’s midfield apart from Derbys 

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

Who was it wanted 'unpleasant' non family-friendly players like Luke Ayling out of the club? I think it was more likely the man at the very top. This is down to the Lansdowns setting the standards for what they want this club to represent. Nice squeaky clean, well spoken lads like COD - who haven't got a nasty bone in their bodies. 

Exactly! Said it elsewhere, the entire SL tenure has been nice. Nice, soft, easy touch. 
Who presents a sacked manager ( GJ ) at a press conference ffs?! Only little old nice BCFC.

The whole place is too cosy and nice to ever be a successful professional organisation as it breeds softness and acceptance of mediocrity. 

Good humans, DNA. Everything i dont think you’ll ever hear at other clubs. 

5 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I actually feel sick reading this post 

6 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Cmon we all like a hard tackling nasty barsteward but if pissing on people is acceptable then you have lost it I’m afraid 

Nice ground, funny social media, good lads blah blah blah.

We have forgotten what being a football club is actually all about.

Worst thing is, we are actually now renowned for being soft.

Rowett said it required a simple game plan to do us, Lyle Taylor grabbed the ball at 1-1 AWAY FROM HOME, in the last minute cause he sensed we were rocking, and now Coventry turn us over with a player less.

I thought Pearson would be the grit through this club but I worry that his recurring illness has taken his drive and edge away, and we are left in no mans land as a shell of a club sleep-walking into league one.

Lets hope there is another TC (god rest his soul) out there somewhere as unless this club finds its spite and character again we are going to need him.

Properly fatigued with all this I am.

19 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Oh dear....

39 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Nice ground, funny social media, good lads blah blah blah.

We have forgotten what being a football club is actually all about.

Worst thing is, we are actually now renowned for being soft.

Rowett said it required a simple game plan to do us, Lyle Taylor grabbed the ball at 1-1 AWAY FROM HOME, in the last minute cause he sensed we were rocking, and now Coventry turn us over with a player less.

Very true. There are numerous examples of individuals in the football world making reference to "soft Bristol City" over the last few seasons.

Teams know that we're soft, mentally weak, not up for a battle etc. Unfortunately it's at the point where it has a double jeopardy effect on us - not only is our confidence diminished, the confidence of our opponents is potentially enhanced (the Lyle Taylor situation is a good example).

I find this one of the most frustrating and depressing things about us right now. It's hard to have pride in a team who are just not respected, and who are known as the pushovers of the EFL.

What I'd give to be considered a "tough side to play against" or a "tough place to go"...........

Edited by Supersonic Robin
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Very true. There are numerous examples of individuals in the football world making reference to "soft Bristol City" over the last few seasons.

Teams know that we're soft, mentally weak, not up for a battle etc. Unfortunately it's at the point where it has a double jeopardy effect on us - not only is our confidence diminished, the confidence of our opponents is potentially enhanced (the Lyle Taylor situation is a good example).

I find this one of the most frustrating and depressing things about us right now. It's hard to have pride in a team who are just not respected, and who are  known as the pushovers of the EFL.

What I'd give to be considered a "tough side to play against" or a "tough place to go"...........

What I find mad about all this (well put by the way), is all of the players in and around our club and our rivals know each other.

Imagine being one of out lot, flicking through the TV with your family knowing that your peers think you are powder-puff. It would do my head in.

I suppose £10-15k a week and a brainwashing from the club that you are a good player helps mind.

Culturally weak, we have been for ages.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

What I find mad about all this (well put by the way), is all of the players in and around our club and our rivals know each other.

Imagine being one of out lot, flicking through the TV with your family knowing that your peers think you are powder-puff. It would do my head in.

I suppose £10-15k a week and a brainwashing from the club that you are a good player helps mind.

Culturally weak, we have been for ages.

Spot on. I was talking about this in another thread earlier.

I'd really struggle with the embarrassment of it on a professional level. Imagine your colleagues, your mates, your wife/gf, your family etc knowing you play for that side that everyone takes the piss out of (granted the money helps, but it still doesn't replace classic male pride).

I'm not convinced that our players (or any professional athletes) are that devoid of self respect.

The core issue must be rooted in the club's culture, hence why it has appeared to persist despite varying combinations of managers, coaches and players.

• Like 1

The very nature of the built environment enforces our beliefs, ideas, and actions. Footballers are human. They train at a comfortable, newly-built 'high performance centre', play at the comfortable new Ashton Gate, park their 4x4s in the player car park, and get paid handsomely for doing so.

It's not a great leap to expect the built environment, on top of lacklustre management (dogshit 'nice lads' culture), and 5 years of managers without the 'nasty' gene to have altered the culture at City profoundly.

We're ******.

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

In some dressing rooms I was in, I would have had to face the manager, then the captain, then the senior players, then the supporters, then after that, and worst of all, my old man, then look at myself in the mirror when all said and done.

Makes you wonder what this lot actually care about.

Edited by TomThumb84
  • Like 1

Has to be one of the lows in recent times. I didn't see the game today save for Quest highlights, injuries and arguably Pearson's recurring health issues too are hurting us yes but it's kind of hard to comprehend this sequence of events...

1) 0-0 approaching HT

2) Get a penalty and man sent off

3) Into HT not only a goal up but a man up too.

We were pegged back to 1-1, but back to 2-1 up surely at worst we draw.

2-2? See above..

...And yet, not only do we not get the point but we lose! Just unbelievable.

Never used to subscribe to the too soft thing but wonder at times if a combination of factors counts against us...

1) Great redeveloped ground.

2) HPC. Therefore the much improved facilities.

3) A good wage.

4) Quite a nice city...

5)...With if you prefer that some quite nice surrounding countryside.