IGNORED

Something we won’t be supping any time soon

BigAl&Toby

I’m beginning to fear that a Promotion Ale isn’t something we’ll be having a tipple from in my lifetime. At least not an ale that celebrates promotion to the top tier……..

Then again times have changed. Courages have gone. I long remember walking to work across Castle Green in the morning and the smell of the brewery.

What is it now? Real estate.

And across the way in BS3 there are parallels. What was once the home of BCFC is now the same. Real estate and a cash cow for the developer.

Forget any meaningful football being produced. Go there now to have a pizza. Or a frothy coffee. Or buy stuff - in the club shop you can even get basketball merchandise now. Or how about a conference? Or see some crooners on a world tour?

But football? Sadly you’ll be hard pressed to see much of that. 

What a desperately sad state of affairs. The most passion I’ve seen recently was when we managed a win at home.

**** me. I thought we’d won the Champions League. One Step Beyond anyone?

33D56BC3-F249-4B74-9804-6975DE730EAD.jpeg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Mine is still unopened but without the foil!

How times have changed. When the Courage brewery was there, Real Estate was an American term. 

I've still got one unopened but it surely would be awful now, and probably poisonous. . Probably gone flat just like our club since those heady days. Has anyone actually drank it, even when it was new?

7 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

I’m beginning to fear that a Promotion Ale isn’t something we’ll be having a tipple from in my lifetime. At least not an ale that celebrates promotion to the top tier……..

Then again times have changed. Courages have gone. I long remember walking to work across Castle Green in the morning and the smell of the brewery.

And across the way in BS3 there are parallels. What was once the home of BCFC is now the same. Real estate and a cash cow for the developer.

Forget any meaningful football being produced. Go there now to have a pizza. Or a frothy coffee. Or buy stuff - in the club shop you can even get basketball merchandise now. Or how about a conference? Or see some crooners on a world tour?

What a desperately sad state of affairs. The most passion I’ve seen recently was when we managed a win at home.

What about Bristol City Marmite, the 'Going Up Spread!'

7 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

You are quite right, I'm 76 now and at least I was able to see City in the Old First Division, but I'm certain I will never ever see them in the Premier League in my lifetime. It's such a shame that SL hasn't been able to give us the excitement of games in the top league, even if only for a season and I'm afraid with our current set up and players who don't seem to care if we win or lose, then it will never happen.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, marmite said:

I've still got one unopened but it surely would be awful now, and probably poisonous. . Probably gone flat just like our club since those heady days. Has anyone actually drank it, even when it was new?

Not at all Marmite. I'd happily drink it if opened before me. 

It's alcohol that preserves it. If there is any sediment in the bottle (yeast etc) then it will continue to develop and will become stronger in alcohol.

Fuller's London Pride often release beers that are several years old. Wow! They are amazing but then so is the price!

Continuing the footy analogy to the beer, it should develop like Bobby Reid ie the older it gets, the better it is.

1 minute ago, Norn Iron said:

Not at all Marmite. I'd happily drink it if opened before me. 

It's alcohol that preserves it. If there is any sediment in the bottle (yeast etc) then it will continue to develop and will become stronger in alcohol.

Fuller's London Pride often release beers that are several years old. Wow! They are amazing but then so is the price!

Continuing the footy analogy to the beer, it should develop like Bobby Reid ie the older it gets, the better it is.

If you are correct about its taste today, it may be more like Mark Ashton.  The older it gets the richer it becomes.

• Haha 1