IGNORED

Team and Tactics for Blackburn

Waconda

Before picking your teams don’t forget 

Martin will start.  Had a rest and 100% will be in the starting 11.

Willimas - won’t be fit.

Seyemyo - won’t be fit.

Palmer - won’t get a start.

COD - won’t  score or create a chance if you put him in.

JD - will get beat at the back post and they will score from the knock down.

I have gone for the team that gets beat every week but added Scott.

Bentley

Tanner    Atkinson Kalas.      Pring

HNM.           Bakinson

Scott

Wells    Martin    Wieman

6 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

who will be in charge of the team for Blackburn. surely steve could inform the fans or have i missed something. 

The Turners coach driver is going have a go. Reckons if we park the bus between the uprights and shut the windows, that will keep Blackburn out.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Haven’t put much thought in but how about:

Bentley

Vyner | Kalas | Atkinson | Baker

Massengo | Williams | James | Pring

Semenyo | Weimann

I'd like to see Wells & Weimann given a chance together, but with that XI. I'd swap Kalas and Vyner, Zak hasn't looked great at FB but decent at RCB.

32 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Probably need to know who is fit first.

Looks like Baker, Williams & Conway are back.

Time will tell on Atkinson, James & Semenyo.

I thought the timeline they gave a while back, Semenyo and Williams would be back after this break, been training I believe. Baker should be as a lot of his lay of was rule driven. I haven't heard what was up with Atkinson, and James I thought should be close. King being the only longer term I seem to remember .

39 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I thought the timeline they gave a while back, Semenyo and Williams would be back after this break, been training I believe. Baker should be as a lot of his lay of was rule driven. I haven't heard what was up with Atkinson, and James I thought should be close. King being the only longer term I seem to remember .

Video footage on Monday showed Baker, Williams & Conway all training.

No idea of the others bar King, who was apparently on crutches a week or so ago & is definitely out until December.

45 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Video footage on Monday showed Baker, Williams & Conway all training.

No idea of the others bar King, who was apparently on crutches a week or so ago & is definitely out until December.

I think they were saying Semenyo was a week longer than Williams . They have 2 weeks to try and get ready , I would hope Williams and Semenyo are involved next week. They may take time over Conway.

The key thing in my opinion is the return of Williams. For all his strengths, James lacks mobility and Massengo is still young. They both need Williams to help bring out their qualities. Plus he gives us more bite. 

I’d go with:

Bentley

Tanner   Kalas   Atkinson  Pring

HNM    James   Williams

Palmer

Wells       Weimann

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

12 minutes ago, Offside said:

The key thing in my opinion is the return of Williams. For all his strengths, James lacks mobility and Massengo is still young. They both need Williams to help bring out their qualities. Plus he gives us more bite. 

I’d go with:

Bentley

HNM    James   Williams

Palmer

Wells       Weimann

Agreed, we have looked our best this season with Williams on the pitch. Shame it has only been about 5 minutes.

• Like 1

No idea who will be fit but, if everyone was, I think my first choice XI would be

GK Bentley

RB Tanner

RCB Kalas

LCB Atkinson

LB Pring

RCM Williams 

CM James

LCM Massengo 

RF Weimann

CF Martin

LF Semenyo 

I’d play Weimann and Semenyo quite narrow so it would allow Martin to drop deep to get the ball with players running on ahead of him.

I’d also rotate the formation enough that Weimann and Martin were rested enough to not be constantly knackered.

1 hour ago, Offside said:

I’d go with:

Bentley

HNM    James   Williams

Palmer

Wells       Weimann

I like this, but I might go full christmas tree and play Weimann a bit further back to support the midfield too.

Yes there is no width, but at the moment we have no width and no middle. It might not stick up front either, but we might at least get some sustained possession in the midfield.

• Like 1

Would like to see up go 1 up front and try to get a bit of control of the ball in midfield, think Weimann with his constant movement could be a nightmare for defenders, can be swapped out 2nd half with Wells, but also midfield pushing on to help him. If Williams & Semenyo not fit HNM into midfield & either Weimann back on the right or Benarous             

Bentley

Bakinson

Semenyo James   Williams   HNM

Weimann

or

Bentley

Semenyo James   Williams    O'Dowda

HNM

Weimann

or 

Bentley

Tanner   Kalas   Atkinson Baker  Pring

HNM James   Williams    O'Dowda

Weimann

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

We should select an 11 who are most comfortable on the ball. 

We will continue to have few chances / shots but at least we can stop being overrun.

So unfortunately no unproven youngsters.

Palmer has to play, JD, James (hopefully), HNM as a midfield that actually attempt to pass and move.

Perhaps AW and NW up front who will at least run into space?

Agree with the above comment about telling Bentley and the defence to stop hoofing it,

Surely it can't get worse. 

Really?

• Flames 1

Jon - agree.

What I particularly liked early season was 442 - but Nige introduced flexibility / changes via personnel not through system change.

For example, Baker at LB to mitigate the risk of playing Dasilva there v Cardiff, Massengo RM/RW so Weimann could play up top, but also give energy and protection to RB (Vyner / Simpson), etc.

I don’t think going 5212 v QPR helped, although perversely we got a win.

53 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I hope we don't keep seeing a change of system every game.

442, 5122, 3412, 41212, 433. Lots of different systems this season.

I would say we have been 343 at times too with how advanced Weimann was getting from attacking midfield when we had been playing 3412.

I know injuries can mean we have to adapt. But it wouldn't surprise me if Fleming moves away from the 433, even though we could look at the Coventry first half as a positive we can build on. We played differently 2nd half.

Barnsley for 60 with the diamond was far from great but it was working until we went to a standard 442. And then he changed from that to wing backs the next game. I wanted us to look at that Barnsley first 60 trying a new system as not looking too bad, and continue with that system for the next game.

In the first half of the Coventry game O'Dowda and Weimann were playing close to Martin in the 433.

I think sometimes they need to get the mix right of supporting Martin, because he can't be isolated with direct balls going up to him. But also the wingers providing width or coming short, being involved in build up.

As long as one player is making runs off of him, though I do understand both making those central runs can also be dangerous. We will never get any balance right to any plan if we keep changing system and tactics.

Martin had a good first half. Him and O'Dowda were different players first half because we played differently. There were opportunities for O'Dowda to make those runs.

2nd half O'Dowda and Weimann were not close to Martin. It looked like Fleming had told them to stay wider. Martin was almost completely ineffective in the lone role in the 2nd half. We did try to pass the ball with the extra man advantage, but they don't seem to be trained to do that like other teams. There was the odd decent move but very little.

O'Dowda moved into an attacking midfield role after Scott had been replaced by Dasilva. Probably to try and get him a bit closer to Martin whilst still having a winger in Pring hugging the touchline. It did work in O'Dowda making the run and bringing down the Bakinson high pass to start off the move to the Weimann goal. Other than that move, Weimann and O'Dowda very quiet 2nd half, Martin too.

We then brought on Wells last 10 and changed shape to 424. We had struggled to cope with their midfield 3 before that but now only 2 on their 3. It was like we had less players not more!

So maybe just the odd change in selection with hopefully James and Atkinson returning, and look to improve on that Coventry first half. 

I'm not sure it's what I'd go with usually but we have tried everything else. Did we look a relegation team first half 11 vs 11? Not sure we did. Being able to say that is a massive improvement isn't it!? ?

I personally think a 4-4-1-1 suits us best, with Semenyo and O'Dowda playing out wide, Weimann in behind Martin. It's an easy shape for the players to know their roles and it can be flexible.

You might say Semenyo isn't a wide player but he's shown he can support a right back. He would also be able to frequesntly swap with Weimann which gives defenders a difficult challenge. 

Scott would then he back up for Weimann and Semenyo and I'd use him in every game. 

I still think we'd have to suffer some lapses of football common sense, but that's always going to be the case this season with the profile of our squad.

Importantly, I think this gives us threat in several areas, and more pace and trickery.

Edited by mozo

3 minutes ago, MattWSM said:

Starting 11....................

Bentley

Kalas| Atkinson| Baker | JD

Tanner | HNM | James | Pring

Weimann/Wells | Martin

Subs..................

O'Leary

Simpson

O'Dowda | Bakinson | Scott | Palmer

Weimann/Wells

Squad.......................

Benarous | King |Williams 

Semenyo | Conway

Tanner has shown very little ability to get wide and put a decent cross in?

There is no attacking creativity or goals in midfield either?

Time to spin again! 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Tanner has shown very little ability to get wide and put a decent cross in?

There is no attacking creativity or goals in midfield either?

Time to spin again! 

I like Pring and Tanner further forward but take point about creativity, would like to see this team for a few games