IGNORED

Weimann chance.

Desso

44 minutes ago, Desso said:

Just watched the replay and didn't realise that the open goal miss from Weimann, in the first half, was so bad. He had half the goal to pass into but slipped and chance gone.     2 nil then would have given us the game, probably. 

Add the Wells free header and that shows clearly our problem, no quality in front of goal.

They had one chance? The lad buried it, a great strike.

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

Add the Wells free header and that shows clearly our problem, no quality in front of goal.

They had one chance? The lad buried it, a great strike.

This again? Sorry but the myth that we aren't clinical has been lingering for years and is a load of rubbish.

This season, on average we score every 9.4 shots, or every 3 shots on target. Our opposition, taken as a whole (so an average of 18 teams with a range of ability), score every 9.6 shots, or every 3.1 shots on target. we're roughly as clinical as our average opponent.

In terms of shot conversion Weimann is 17th out of all players who have taken 10 or more shots so far. Weimann is having a good season, and has scored more than his xG would suggest he might have done. Essentially he has been converting difficult chances. Both he and Chris Martin get more than 40% of their shots on target. Wells is admittedly having a poor season, but even he is getting 36% on target.

We have lost Diedhiou, who was always pretty clinical and consistent, but to say we have 'no quality' in front of goal is simply wrong. The problem isn't the quality, it's the quantity of shots we are taking - that is why we aren't scoring many.

As for their one chance, 95% of the time that shot is blazed over, or smashes into the side netting. Brereton hit it sweetly and it went in. Brereton is also performing better than the average striker this season. A single shot and goal does not prove him to be 10x the player Weimann is.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

No I have not been going this season. Bloody loads of MB/GB! I bought a new Mac recently and now regret not buying the one with double the GB than mine has.

Basically you probably can't have much already on your system, but can't remember how much a game uses up. Will look later and let you know.

When I screen record, it writes to Desktop which is part of iCloud and therefore takes a while to become available (it has to save it / back up to the cloud).  Must check to see if it can save directly to another drive.

Probably cheaper to buy an external HDD and just copy to that after each game?  My time machine back-ups are to a separate HDD as otherwise they Mac’s HDD fills up to quickly

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

This again? Sorry but the myth that we aren't clinical has been lingering for years and is a load of rubbish.

This season, on average we score every 9.4 shots, or every 3 shots on target. Our opposition, taken as a whole (so an average of 18 teams with a range of ability), score every 9.6 shots, or every 3.1 shots on target. we're roughly as clinical as our average opponent.

In terms of shot conversion Weimann is 17th out of all players who have taken 10 or more shots so far. Weimann is having a good season, and has scored more than his xG would suggest he might have done. Essentially he has been converting difficult chances. Both he and Chris Martin get more than 40% of their shots on target. Wells is admittedly having a poor season, but even he is getting 36% on target.

We have lost Diedhiou, who was always pretty clinical and consistent, but to say we have 'no quality' in front of goal is simply wrong. The problem isn't the quality, it's the quantity of shots we are taking - that is why we aren't scoring many.

As for their one chance, 95% of the time that shot is blazed over, or smashes into the side netting. Brereton hit it sweetly and it went in. Brereton is also performing better than the average striker this season. A single shot and goal does not prove him to be 10x the player Weimann is.

Was hardly a free header either…was actually really good movement, and had to generate all the power as the cross had no pace on it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was hardly a free header either…was actually really good movement, and had to generate all the power as the cross had no pace on it.

This is the one towards the end, where Massengo dinks it over the top? Just watched it back, and whilst he's not got a defender on top of him (because he checks himself and then cuts across the back of their no.5) it's not easy. The ball is coming from behind him, and Massengo has put a cock load of back spin on it. 

He has to generate all the power with his neck, and forces Kaminski into a fine save. 

I think Infogol rated it at 0.31xG, and as our best chance of the match. Still, far from a certain goal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Who has said he is ten times the player Weimann is?

You can quote as many  stats as you and others like, my eyes saw two very presentable chances by Weimann and Wells fail to produce the goals they should have. Those chances were created and poor execution failed to convert them.

Don’t know where the 95% of the time stat came from? Is that a stat fact or an attempt to reinforce your post? I saw a superbly struck shot go between our posts and under the crossbar, beating our goalkeeper, something our forwards do too infrequently at the other end as shown yesterday.

We could argue endlessly about what constitutes a stat that warrants consideration when determining good or poor play,  for instance a weak shot easily saved by the keeper would I presume count as a shot on target when it had absolutely no chance of becoming a goal, which is the only stat that really matters, and is therefore a pretty meaningless stat.

I agree we don’t create enough chances, and that needs addressing, but it isn’t a myth that Wells, Martin and Weimann do not score enough goals.

19 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Who has said he is ten times the player Weimann is?

No one said it expressly, I implied it.

You can quote as many  stats as you and others like, my eyes saw two very presentable chances by Weimann and Wells fail to produce the goals they should have. Those chances were created and poor execution failed to convert them.

Ok, so that is an analysis of two shots. I have analysed 34 shots for Weimann, 32 from Martin, and Wells' 19. I've given you some of the shot on target % for those. I believe that looking at a sample of nearly 100 shots will give us a better idea of the fair 'quality' that we have in fornt of goal, than your analysis of two shots will.

Don’t know where the 95% of the time stat came from? Is that a stat fact or an attempt to reinforce your post? I saw a superbly struck shot go between our posts and under the crossbar, beating our goalkeeper, something our forwards do too infrequently at the other end as shown yesterday.

It garnered an xG of 0.06, so fair enough. It's more like 94% of the time.

We could argue endlessly about what constitutes a stat that warrants consideration when determining good or poor play,  for instance a weak shot easily saved by the keeper would I presume count as a shot on target when it had absolutely no chance of becoming a goal, which is the only stat that really matters, and is therefore a pretty meaningless stat.

Which is why I look at xG. Goals scored is the ultimate derivative stat. It depends on all others, and so whilst it may be the one that decides games, it is far from the "only stat that really matters".

I agree we don’t create enough chances, and that needs addressing, but it isn’t a myth that Wells, Martin and Weimann do not score enough goals.

Agreed that we don't create enough chances, or score enough goals. I disagree that the reason is a lack of 'quality in front goal' as you alleged initially.

Response above.

• Like 3

Found the clip on Wyscout - tagged to Brereton as an “interception”.

Brereton got a touch on it, just changed the direction and pace of it.A5D94F92-027A-4521-8D6B-938428B68D3F.thumb.png.d7533fc4c7870ed49c6347029b5613b7.png

93D8A1AB-6E37-4CF0-8688-2623350A90FC.thumb.png.5d3b320d7e46a10d9574119f953635ee.png

Ended up a tad behind Weimann, who like all good strikers played for no deflection.

90106A49-CDA7-4B51-B3AC-25EB0CFC8DB2.thumb.png.c79769e4c390801e519697b70b8e87ae.png

in cricket terms, Brereton got a little bottom edge, picked up on snickometer.  Umpires initial call was Weimann missed a sitter.  Upon review he is given not out! ?

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1