IGNORED

Vyner

Davefevs

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t disagree with any of that, nor what Jon put either….I’m just being an awkward sod.

When I played in a 3, apart from a similar aberration where my manager thought I could play sweeper, I always played as the outside CB, virtually always the RCB3.  The LCB3 and me were the ball winners, on the deck or in the air.  If the ball went straight down the middle we’d have to decide who was gonna go for it, we tried not to let the sweeper go for it…he was there to cover a flick.

And then you see a variant with Ayling, Flint and Williams, where neither outside CB was dominant aerially, but teams tried to keep it away from Flint.

Yep. In that variant, Flint was clearly the ball winner, rather than the sweeper. This is kinda how we played it v Brum, with Vyner central and being the ball winner. For me that didn’t work with him there - as you say, he’s not aerially dominant. 
If we played the style which you did, you’d be happy with Kalas & Baker/Atkinson as the ones which attack the ball and Vyner sweeping, but we didn’t do that. Which I found quite strange. 

• Like 1

I like Zak seems decent pro, good physically, and has talent. But feel he has to find his way as a defender with City. We have midfield covered with better players. So yes I thought he looked decent against Blackburn. But if his game is that effected by the defensive set up he is not very versatile even in defence. Hope he can sort this out or I do feel he might be on his way soon 

5 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It was, indeed, a lovely pirouette, but I think Andreas Weimann also deserves some credit for the manner in which he shielded Vyner from the first tackle to enable him to undertake the move.

Didn’t even notice that first time around, incredible footballing intelligence.