IGNORED

Ryan Lowe resigns as Plymouth Manager

P'head Red

33 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Oh, I thought he was going to be our next manager, is he just going there to get some practice in?

Seriously, will be interesting to see how he gets on there as many on here rate him so highly.

Absolutely Galley!

I put something about this on another thread. Let's see if he is indeed the Messiah as thought by some on here or just a naughty boy.

• Like 2

He had a clause in his contract that if a club from a higher division were interested he could talk to them. In a `normal` year I would say it`s a risk as there would be a chance Argyle could pass PNE on the way up/down but they should be safe this season. He`s from Liverpool as well so closer to home for him.

After all the talk about him maybe coming here it will be interesting to see how he fares at a middling Championship club with little money.

• Like 2

Geography is such a huge barrier for Argyle, there is only one FL club in a 100 mile radius & despite in my opinion being a bigger club than Preston, they struggle to recruit & retain both players & managers. 

I remember when Paul Sturrock was manager & they won back to back titles he said that he used to meet prospective signings in Taunton & try & get the deal done before they realised how far away they would be moving.

Unless they concentrate on West Country talent (& interesting to me that 2 of our ex players James Wilson & Joe Edwards are both down there) this is always going to be an issue for them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Geography is such a huge barrier for Argyle, there is only one FL club in a 100 mile radius & despite in my opinion being a bigger club than Preston, they struggle to recruit & retain both players & managers. 

I remember when Paul Sturrock was manager & they won back to back titles he said that he used to meet prospective signings in Taunton & try & get the deal done before they realised how far away they would be moving.

Unless they concentrate on West Country talent (& interesting to me that 2 of our ex players James Wilson & Joe Edwards are both down there) this is always going to be an issue for them.

On the flip side they have a huge catchment area. So if they scouted well and early enough then they could and should do better IMO. I know they don't have an Academy set up like City have but they just have no presence anywhere in Devon and Cornwall. The catchment area for supporters is also huge but they are fickle as f@ck. As someone who has been around the local football season at a decent standard in Devon I feel the huge barrier you refer to is also part in there own making.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, supercidered said:

On the flip side they have a huge catchment area. So if they scouted well and early enough then they could and should do better IMO. I know they don't have an Academy set up like City have but they just have no presence anywhere in Devon and Cornwall. The catchment area for supporters is also huge but they are fickle as f@ck. As someone who has been around the local football season at a decent standard in Devon I feel the huge barrier you refer to is also part in there own making.

Probably fair comment, you are clearly closer to it than me.

Their support (especially away) holds up fairly well to me though, they are in my opinion a club that should be a Championship one, & geography is definitely one of the factors as to why they aren’t.

I think their strategy should be to try & make their isolation an advantage, as at present Exeter (a smaller club) seem to find all the gems down there..

It`ll be interesting to see who Argyle get in (assuming Schumacher end up being only temporary).

I can think of one vastly experienced manager who lives locally and may fancy one last hurrah.......................................

Joking aside, they could do a lot worse than get Colin in as a sort of DOF - the fans still love him down there and it would help SS so much IMO.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It`ll be interesting to see who Argyle get in (assuming Schumacher end up being only temporary).

I can think of one vastly experienced manager who lives locally and may fancy one last hurrah.......................................

Joking aside, they could do a lot worse than get Colin in as a sort of DOF - the fans still love him down there and it would help SS so much IMO.

Schumacher seems to be a permanent appointment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I assumed you were talking about the Torquay manager ?

46 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

He had a clause in his contract that if a club from a higher division were interested he could talk to them. In a `normal` year I would say it`s a risk as there would be a chance Argyle could pass PNE on the way up/down but they should be safe this season. He`s from Liverpool as well so closer to home for him.

After all the talk about him maybe coming here it will be interesting to see how he fares at a middling Championship club with little money.

Indeed. This is going to be one of these interesting ones. It may be he struggles and proves to be not quite ready for this level or it may be that this another Moyes/Dyche/Wilder/Dean Smith/Howe situations where a manager we might at one point of thought of as too much of an untested gamble ends up being someone we later wish we'd appointed when we had the chance. 

Good luck to him I hope he goes well.  Quite a few old dinosaurs managing and our Nigel being one . Plymouth play so tidy stuff tbf . A lot on here saying he hasn’t any championship experience and I get it , but let’s be honest the bar isn’t set very high at Ashton Gate !!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

49 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

He's the sort of bloke you get in because you think he will shake the players up a bit. That doesn't look like Plymouth on the face of it.

As I said in an earlier post I think Schumacher will need some help and `nous` so getting Colin in as a sort of DOF could work. He`s still very much liked down there by the fans and only lives over the river. He has a lot of time for the club too - he might even do it for free!

I`m surprised they didn`t do it years ago TBH.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

He's the sort of bloke you get in because you think he will shake the players up a bit. That doesn't look like Plymouth on the face of it.

Possibly not. 

But isn’t he local to Plymouth? and out of work. 2+2 and all that…