IGNORED

Wrong formation and playing players out of position

Dr Balls

So here goes.

In the first half we started off brilliantly, scoring early, but it quickly became clear that playing Benarous at left wing back was a decision that was going to cost us. Again and again Huddersfield were attacking down their right flank and finding lots of space. And it wasn’t a surprise that they scored in the first half from an attack down that side. At half time, I discussed with a friend how we needed both a proper left back and for Massengo to man-mark their no 8.

So the second half starts without any changes of personnel or formation and within a minute of the restart, Huddersfield break down their right and score their second. Yes it was clearly offside, but unfortunately at this level we are still dependent on dodgy officials. Was there a change then from Pearson? No. Yes we went close with Semenyo hitting the post but again Huddersfield break down their right. The deflection of the cross off of Kalas was unfortunate as it set up Ward for an easy header in front of goal, but even so, it again pointed out our problems down our left side.

And finally Pearson makes a change bringing on Pring when we are 3:1 down. Benarous is freed from his defensive responsibilities and almost immediately we see what he is really capable of, as he runs at the opposition and starts to cause them significant problems. He is a brilliant attacking midfielder for his age and that’s where he needs to play. Trying to show-horn Benarous into being a wing back does neither him nor the team any good.

So in conclusion, I lay a significant amount of the responsibility for today’s defeat at Pearson’s feet. He got the the set up wrong and was lucky that we were still level at half time when he had the chance to change things. However he missed that opportunity and that decision probably cost us the match, or at least not losing. There are clearly things going on behind the scenes that I don’t understand but even then we need to play players in their best positions if we want the team to play to its full potential. I remain unconvinced that we have found that balance yet.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

Yes agree with do much there. But I do feel as there are players in the team who are not pulling their weight, and need to be released, NP is forced at times to play his better players out of their best positions. As I have said before this season was never going to be pretty  and we just need to stay up . And I did feel Scott and Benerous where again showed up  well above the rest of the team 

COYR 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

So in conclusion, I lay a significant amount of the responsibility for today’s defeat at Pearson’s feet. He got the the set up wrong and was lucky that we were still level at half time when he had the chance to change things.

Totally agree with the first part….I don’t think we were lucky to be level at h-t though, we created equally good opportunities.  I’m critical of Nige’s selections tonight though.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Totally agree with the first part….I don’t think we were lucky to be level at h-t though, we created equally good opportunities.  I’m critical of Nige’s selections tonight though.

Yrs I can see that, but is his selections down to him not trusting or wanting the best selection options. Which means the squad is a long way from what NP wants. Which is very worrying with our limited transfer in situation 

4 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yrs I can see that, but is his selections down to him not trusting or wanting the best selection options. Which means the squad is a long way from what NP wants. Which is very worrying with our limited transfer in situation 

Could well be.  Maybe January’s transfer business might inform that.

As per another thread, I think Palmer, Wells, Dasilva and Moore will be attempted to be moved on.  That’s about £75k p.w. (although we might end up paying a chunk of that).

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Could well be.  Maybe January’s transfer business might inform that.

As per another thread, I think Palmer, Wells, Dasilva and Moore will be attempted to be moved on.  That’s about £75k p.w. (although we might end up paying a chunk of that).

Yrs but getting a good beneficial off load of  Wells and Palmer could be difficult. Would strike me getting them out on loan a more likely option and how much of their wages will we still be covering 

Agreed. 
Playing Benarous at LWB was a dreadful decision. 
I’ve also been one of few who’ve pointed out the flaws of Scott at RWB too. 
It is so easy for the opposition to exploit the space behind them. 
And - it’s NOT their fault. They are not, and never will be, wingbacks. 

Ideally I’d like to see Scott, Benarous and Semenyo as 3 interchanging number 10’s playing behind the sole striker. Whether that’s Martin or Wells I don’t particularly care. Just get our 3 best attacking threats playing in threatening attacking positions. 

Enough already of playing these 2 novice attacking midfielders as bloody wingbacks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yrs but getting a good beneficial off load of  Wells and Palmer could be difficult. Would strike me getting them out on loan a more likely option and how much of their wages will we still be covering 

Hopefully someone might take a punt on Nakhi based on his track record before joining us. Palmer probably more difficult- the guy seems to have no hunger - you’d maybe accept that from an old pro in their thirties but he is only in his early twenties. So disappointing. 

15 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yes, think it will be loans too…because I don’t think we will get a fee.

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agreed. 
Playing Benarous at LWB was a dreadful decision. 
I’ve also been one of few who’ve pointed out the flaws of Scott at RWB too. 
It is so easy for the opposition to exploit the space behind them. 
And - it’s NOT their fault. They are not, and never will be, wingbacks. 

Ideally I’d like to see Scott, Benarous and Semenyo as 3 interchanging number 10’s playing behind the sole striker. Whether that’s Martin or Wells I don’t particularly care. Just get our 3 best attacking threats playing in threatening attacking positions. 

Enough already of playing these 2 novice attacking midfielders as bloody wingbacks. 

Agreed. Scott has got away with it to some degree as he is such a good player, plus he has Vyner behind him, who is willing to slip into playing as a right back.

The reality is that both Scott and Benarous are excellent young players that we are lucky have, but neither are nor ever will be wing backs.