IGNORED

Away from playing the game - Our Team

Sandhurst Red

A perhaps odd forum title, but I'm keen to hear if others have had similar experiences or seen such situations regarding our team.

I won't go into all the details, but recently I have had the fortune to be introduced to one of our first team, who upon learning about my son and how much of a fan he is of the team and of him as a player in particular, has gone above and beyond what a player needs to do by way of kindness and gifted something to him.

It is easy for us to be high-up in a stand to groan at a wayward pass, a miss-timed tackle or a poor strike on goal - but it is important to remember that away from that playing field, we have players who really do care. Players that really engage with the fans and the Bristol City community. 

In the modern game, where money and commercial activity quite often take centre stage, I truly believe we have a squad of players who are very aware of this fanbase, who want to make a difference. Yes, we as paying customers we can still offer-up our opinions during a game, and on message boards, but maybe we should look that bit deeper and remember that they are no different than us the supporters. People who care and look out for one another. 

The player in question has reminded me that football is still about that connection between club, player and supporter and I'm not sure that is true across the football spectrum these days. I still think of Bristol City FC as a rather special football club, and this recent interaction has reminded me that is still the case. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 4

2 hours ago, Sandhurst Red said:

A perhaps odd forum title, but I'm keen to hear if others have had similar experiences or seen such situations regarding our team.

I won't go into all the details, but recently I have had the fortune to be introduced to one of our first team, who upon learning about my son and how much of a fan he is of the team and of him as a player in particular, has gone above and beyond what a player needs to do by way of kindness and gifted something to him.

It is easy for us to be high-up in a stand to groan at a wayward pass, a miss-timed tackle or a poor strike on goal - but it is important to remember that away from that playing field, we have players who really do care. Players that really engage with the fans and the Bristol City community. 

In the modern game, where money and commercial activity quite often take centre stage, I truly believe we have a squad of players who are very aware of this fanbase, who want to make a difference. Yes, we as paying customers we can still offer-up our opinions during a game, and on message boards, but maybe we should look that bit deeper and remember that they are no different than us the supporters. People who care and look out for one another. 

The player in question has reminded me that football is still about that connection between club, player and supporter and I'm not sure that is true across the football spectrum these days. I still think of Bristol City FC as a rather special football club, and this recent interaction has reminded me that is still the case. 

I echo that.  They club as a whole do a helluva lot of good stuff….my family have benefitted from that over the years..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Yes, while we have some challenges on the pitch we don't seem to have many off of it like we have had in the past either with individuals or groups of players.

• Like 1

It was a gesture like that by city players in the early 90s to my sick brother, that first piqued my interest in city.

30+ years later I'm a long term season ticket holder and have sunk god knows how much time and Money into supporting them.

These gestures really make a difference, so I'm glad the club still put these efforts in ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1