IGNORED

Old picture

sticks 1969

Always remember that Bath game. My dad won £1000 on the City Society draw at halftime. Everyone had a four digit number and it was limited to 2000 members I think.  Each week they'd call out the numbers one at a time. You were lucky to be still in the draw after one number and usually knocked out by the second.  It got pretty interesting after getting three matching numbers. I'll never forget my dads face when they called out the fourth number and he'd won. He'd just been made redundant too. We picked up the big cheque on the pitch at halftime in the replay.

He's passed on now, but football can create these sorts of memories that stay with you forever.   

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Always remember that Bath game. My dad won £1000 on the City Society draw at halftime. Everyone had a four digit number and it was limited to 2000 members I think.  Each week they'd call out the numbers one at a time. You were lucky to be still in the draw after one number and usually knocked out by the second.  It got pretty interesting after getting three matching numbers. I'll never forget my dads face when they called out the fourth number and he'd won. He'd just been made redundant too. We picked up the big cheque on the pitch at halftime in the replay.

He's passed on now, but football can create these sorts of memories that stay with you forever.   

Me and a couple of mates won a car in that draw, it was announced at a boxing day game and with all the noise we weren't 100 per cent sure it was our number until we got it confirmed after the game. At the next home game we were driven around the edge of the pitch in the car, then it left the stadium and we had to pay to get back in! In the original version of that draw the first prize was a house, can't see that happening again now.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

This reminds me of those old Spot the Ball photos.

What a con they were.

Hundreds of crosses entered every time and never won a penny.

I reckon they just pulled winners out of a hat.

They were 'in the judges opinion' weren't they, so it probably didn't really matter where the ball was, especially if the judge was boss-eyed.

10 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

They were 'in the judges opinion' weren't they, so it probably didn't really matter where the ball was, especially if the judge was boss-eyed.

You're right, which is why I reckon it was just pulled out of a hat.

On the evidence of their decisions the judges certainly didn't seem to spend much time critically analysing where the ball might really be.

The ball was usually adjudged to be in the most unlikely place considering where the players were looking, shooting or running.

Though to be fair, in the case of Bas Savage, the ball could be absolutely anywhere (even lodged between his bum-cheeks).

14 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Now you mention it, all the older generation of my family played stb every week.

Never won anything.

Im sure i read a article, a few years ago,nobody had won it for years?

Anybody here ever won it or know anybody?

Remember Esther Rantzen’s That’s Life doing an investigation on STB.  They made up a set of “stamps” with crosses on them so they could cover every bit of the STB photo and never won a thing either.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Remember Esther Rantzen’s That’s Life doing an investigation on STB.  They made up a set of “stamps” with crosses on them so they could cover every bit of the STB photo and never won a thing either.

I  gave up doing to when I found out they blanked out the ball, then placed it where they thought it would be. As bad as relying on the Pools panel to pick the same draws as you. 

That said I did have one small win once.

On 28/12/2021 at 11:19, ashton_fan said:

Me and a couple of mates won a car in that draw, it was announced at a boxing day game and with all the noise we weren't 100 per cent sure it was our number until we got it confirmed after the game. At the next home game we were driven around the edge of the pitch in the car, then it left the stadium and we had to pay to get back in! In the original version of that draw the first prize was a house, can't see that happening again now.

You should thank your lucky stars it wasn't Tammy Abraham driving it (although he would've been about minus fifteen at the time, and I'm referring to his age not rating his dexterity behind the wheel).