IGNORED

47 years ago today

22A

It was my 20th birthday and in the afternoon City gave me a birthday treat and in the intervening years, I've never had any gift so pleasing as this. Stood on the Open End, as each goal went in friends were shaking my hand and wishing me a happy birthday.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Robin 10

12 minutes ago, 22A said:

It was my 20th birthday and in the afternoon City gave me a birthday treat and in the intervening years, I've never had any gift so pleasing as this. Stood on the Open End, as each goal went in friends were shaking my hand and wishing me a happy birthday.

great memories. Some great players as well. Merrick, Tainton and how good was Cashleys kick up the field to Keith Fear.

39 minutes ago, 22A said:

That was enjoyable ?

50 minutes ago, 22A said:

Happy birthday fellow red!

It was 36 years ago today that I became a dad!

Edited by Redtucks

1 minute ago, ashton_fan said:

I was there, there was a gale-force wind blowing behind Cashley's kick. Rovers had the wind in their favour in the 1st half but only scored once

I also remember Cashley scoring a goal on a night match at home in similar circumstances. I remember the ball bouncing in front of the other goalie and going over his head and in the net. I was in the open end with my dad and this is the end the Cash goal was scored. 

Will have to look it up in the City bible to confirm who the away team was at the time.

1 minute ago, City oz said:

I also remember Cashley scoring a goal on a night match at home in similar circumstances. I remember the ball bouncing in front of the other goalie and going over his head and in the net. I was in the open end with my dad and this is the end the Cash goal was scored. 

Will have to look it up in the City bible to confirm who the away team was at the time.

Hull City I believe

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Redtucks said:

Happy birthday fellow red!

It was 36 years ago today that I became a dad!

So that was a happy Christmas period for you then;

image.png.ba8265bdf28adb548ce2cc1c2e9be534.png

I was expected on Christmas Day, so having taken my Mum to the maternity hospital, nothing else to do, so Dad went down to the Gate! City 2 - Reading 1.

Edited by 22A
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, City oz said:

Hull city

15 minutes ago, TomF said:

The art of a the long goal kick from the goalies hands.  Do any keepers in modern age do that anymore, it’s always played along the ground. I guess the back pass rule killed it out 

For all there playing it out from the back, Guardiola’s Man City team sometimes play it long from Ederson but usually a punt from the ground rather than out of the hand. The player I remember with the biggest kick out of the hand was Ray Clemence. Just this lazy swing of the leg but it usually went miles.

Every clip I've seen of Paul Cheesely (and there aren't too many around) shows what aerial dominance he had.  The ability to leap higher and 'hang in the air' for longer.

Such a shame his injury curtailed his career as he would have gone on to greater things. 

Would he have the same dominance in today's game or have centre halves got better over time - what's reckon?! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eardun said:

An easy win even without Gerry Gow! Only one player I didn’t recall - Joe Durrell. 

It's weird isn't it? Any time someone puts up these clips, there is invariably one player in the team that I have no recollection of at all. In the case of Joe Durrell he played 8 games between 73 - 75 which might be an excuse, but I used to watch a lot of reserve games around that time as well, and don't remember him featuring then either.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Yes what a wonderful day!

Muller Road end rammed, me and my girlfriend at the time were sent out onto the area behind the goal so we sat on the raised track the rabbit took during greyhound racing!

The best of times!

Not just the Muller Rd, there were literally a couple of thousand reds in both enclosures......me included !

• Like 1