IGNORED

Louis Britton

GrahamC

1 hour ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I’m surprised the gas aren’t enquiring about him. He may suit them. 

Think they have plenty of strikers. Not really bothered about him going hopefully he goes on and has a good career though.

3 hours ago, Port Red said:

It's good to see him doing well out there. That being said the standard is pretty low from the games I have seen out there, below league 2 level.  

I got thinking about players we have signed from the Irish leagues and how they have done.  Patrick Hoban for example, scored over 100 goals in around 200 appearances in league of Ireland and managed 7 in 75 in the English leagues.  

Andy Smith is another, I don't think he ever scored a goal in English football, all I can remember of him was that he ran around a lot.  

Like many others on this thread I trust the club when it comes to moving on these players as you very rarely hear of them again.  

You are probably right.

The fact that the Irish League doesn’t feature on this list of leagues yet Lg2 does, probably gives added weight too.

1DAC494F-EEBC-4B60-95FE-D467C567D97B.thumb.png.67f653fc936717550d8af2f55cf2f6ef.png
I use this when looking at the relative strengths of players in other leagues.

Seen a few comments that Timm Klose is past it because his performances following his return from a bad injury at Norwich in 19/20 weren’t that great.  But, you have to look at Norwich, they were a struggling PL team at the time, so you have to factor in that.

Then he spends a season at Basel (20/21).  Basel finish 2nd in the Swiss top flight, albeit miles behind Young Boys, so how does the Swiss League compare to the Championship?  A top team in Switzerland is probably mid-table (just top-half) in the Champ.  So looking at that, signing Klose has some merits, as we are a bottom half Championship side.  The bigger questions are his fitness, readiness, etc. His height and experience woukd be of use to us at the mo’ too.

We can be too scientific on this, but its a useful way of looking at things.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Port Red said:

It's good to see him doing well out there. That being said the standard is pretty low from the games I have seen out there, below league 2 level.  

I got thinking about players we have signed from the Irish leagues and how they have done.  Patrick Hoban for example, scored over 100 goals in around 200 appearances in league of Ireland and managed 7 in 75 in the English leagues.  

Andy Smith is another, I don't think he ever scored a goal in English football, all I can remember of him was that he ran around a lot.  

Like many others on this thread I trust the club when it comes to moving on these players as you very rarely hear of them again.  

I remember going to watch Limerick v Cork when I was out there a few years ago. The standout player was Rory Gaffney who was up front for Limerick, who came over here later that year to sign for Cambridge then spent a couple of years at the Gas and then Salford without ever being particularly prolific (avergaed about 1 goal in 4 across his time in England). He's back home now playing for Shamrock.

Edited by Northern Red

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You are probably right.

The fact that the Irish League doesn’t feature on this list of leagues yet Lg2 does, probably gives added weight too.

1DAC494F-EEBC-4B60-95FE-D467C567D97B.thumb.png.67f653fc936717550d8af2f55cf2f6ef.png
I use this when looking at the relative strengths of players in other leagues.

Seen a few comments that Timm Klose is past it because his performances following his return from a bad injury at Norwich in 19/20 weren’t that great.  But, you have to look at Norwich, they were a struggling PL team at the time, so you have to factor in that.

Then he spends a season at Basel (20/21).  Basel finish 2nd in the Swiss top flight, albeit miles behind Young Boys, so how does the Swiss League compare to the Championship?  A top team in Switzerland is probably mid-table (just top-half) in the Champ.  So looking at that, signing Klose has some merits, as we are a bottom half Championship side.  The bigger questions are his fitness, readiness, etc. His height and experience woukd be of use to us at the mo’ too.

We can be too scientific on this, but its a useful way of looking at things.

That is rather awesome, its a shame it doesnt show the distribution of teams across that band though :( it does show you that all the championship sides would comfortably compete in the Scotish Premier though and the top teams like Fulham etc would compete quite well in the Italian or French top flight vs almost certainly will get religated from the English premier.  I like that chart.

Edited by Lorenzos Only Goal
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

That is rather awesome, its a shame it doesnt show the distribution of teams across that band though :( it does show you that all the championship sides would comfortably compete in the Scotish Premier though and the top teams like Fulham etc would compete quite well in the Italian or French top flight vs almost certainly will get religated from the English premier.  I like that chart.

I like it too….but, Hold my beer!

98FE0FE2-D7C5-4921-93E8-78B8479CAE33.thumb.jpeg.785016639b38ee9b027a354931e4c01b.jpeg

I thought I’d just give you the simpler version initially.  You can see the full distribution in this one.  Credit to Peter Loehmann, a Danish Sheffield Wednesday fan.  He is a whizz with this stuff.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I like it too….but, Hold my beer!

98FE0FE2-D7C5-4921-93E8-78B8479CAE33.thumb.jpeg.785016639b38ee9b027a354931e4c01b.jpeg

I thought I’d just give you the simpler version initially.  You can see the full distribution in this one.  Credit to Peter Loehmann, a Danish Sheffield Wednesday fan.  He is a whizz with this stuff.

Thats cool, I like it :) Scotish Premiership 2 glaswegian outliers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Without offending the Swedes on OTIB, look at their top division.  How much calibration was made for Engvall and Eliasson?

On the other hand, there have been lots of terrific Swedish players plying their trade throughout Europe.  Many of these will have started in domestic football, but rapidly outgrew it. 

Maybe the club were hoping we'd found a new Ibrahomovic and Ljungberg.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2022 at 22:41, Davefevs said:

Without offending the Swedes on OTIB, look at their top division.  How much calibration was made for Engvall and Eliasson?

If we assume the outlier is Malmo, then IFK Göteborg & IFK Norrköping are in the right of that cluster meaning Engvall having scored 16 in 64 was a massive gamble considering that league is closer to L1 than the championship so it would be a bit like signing a prospect from L1 with that record and would explain why he struggled as much as he did.

Edited by Lorenzos Only Goal
  • Like 1