IGNORED

Match Report: A tale of two crosses (neither of them ours)

Olé

3 hours ago, Olé said:

Apparently I've been harsh on O'Dowda and have an agenda. If being sick of his act is having an agenda then I'll wear that, I'm sick of watching the bloke. 

The fact he was supposedly no worse or no better than others around him yesterday (I don't agree, but let's go along with it) should be a damning indictment for a player who has been with us for over 5 years and is the senior, experienced pro alongside Scott, Massengo, Pring, DaSilva, Semenyo, yet consistently doesn't know what to do, plays with half as much drive, and produces little end product.

His only attribute is athleticism, running around screening his opponent and occasionally getting on the ball to run head down. But (and this is why I don't accept he is "no worse" than anyone else) he doesn't really take on his man and he doesn't break the lines with any conviction (see: Pring, twice, even 95th minute) and his crosses are aimless (relative to DaSilva curled back post, twice, Pring too).

Perhaps others can be more level headed watching on Robins TV but travelling around watching him consistently add so little and make mistakes (surrender when fed on our first break after Luton's second - sizing up a pass or run with no player within six yards of him, only to underhit it straight to them) is exhausting. And judging by his walk past our end it's more tiring watching him than being him. 

No agenda from me, just a different opinion. Appreciate the report though.

10 minutes ago, ray savino said:

And that’s where the likes of O’Dowda, comes in. He has(had) potential attributes to be an effective player. He has some pace, technique but seems to lack real football nouse. Compare him to the likes of Scott, Massengo, Benarous, Williams who all at least display some moments of vision on the field. O’Dowda should have moved a couple of years ago for his sake let alone ours. His career has gone stale, and as such he seems to have massively lost confidence and bravery on the ball. To be fair to him as a bloke he comes across as a decent lad. I don’t think he isn’t trying, I do think his confidence is shot and he needs a new club to get his career going.

There was an interview at h-t on Robinstv last night with Callum.  Very much in the vain of - I love Bristol, it’s a great place, I see it as home, etc.  A cynic might suggest it’s all a bit comfy.  That sort of links in with the rumours that he’s in contract negotiations, he wants to stay, but he and club and some way apart in their wage valuations.

The big question is who can you get in that’s at least as good on the same / less money.  Could you plunder Barnsley for Jordan Williams (22) with a year left on his wages?  Or does someone like Nicky Cadden (25) at FGR have enough upside (OOC this summer I think)?  Both would potentially be cheaper than O’Dowda???

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Different reasons imho….not being soft in those games, but inviting too much pressure.

To me, that’s being soft as well. Not strong willed or forceful enough to take hold of a game. Retreat. Retreat. Oh, they scored a late equaliser. Now how did that happen etc etc.

I think we’ve been too easy to score against all season.

Thank god that, at least, we have Scott and Semenyo to enjoy…before we’re forced to sell them anyway. 

Feeling grumpy today after a freezing night at an awful ground and losing to a team that were very ordinary. 

Different reasons imho….not being soft in those games, but inviting too much pressure.

To me, that’s being soft as well. Not strong willed or forceful enough to take hold of a game. Retreat. Retreat. Oh, they scored a late equaliser. Now how did that happen etc etc.

Thank god that, at least, we have Scott and Semenyo to enjoy…before we’re forced to sell them anyway. 

Feeling grumpy today after a freezing night at an awful ground and losing to a team that were very ordinary. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, firstdivision said:

That’s fair enough.  I do think will and mentality is an issue too, but it manifests more when certain players aren’t around, e.g. James and Baker.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

There was an interview at h-t on Robinstv last night with Callum.  Very much in the vain of - I love Bristol, it’s a great place, I see it as home, etc.  A cynic might suggest it’s all a bit comfy.  That sort of links in with the rumours that he’s in contract negotiations, he wants to stay, but he and club and some way apart in their wage valuations.

The big question is who can you get in that’s at least as good on the same / less money.  Could you plunder Barnsley for Jordan Williams (22) with a year left on his wages?  Or does someone like Nicky Cadden (25) at FGR have enough upside (OOC this summer I think)?  Both would potentially be cheaper than O’Dowda???

Didn't say that last time, did he?

City weren't big enough for him, he thought himself able to play at the highest level, Leeds were all over him. Until that is, they weren't. Neither were anybody else. He was lucky City were so stupid as to give him a new deal.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, firstdivision said:

OK, I heard you first time!

:innocent06:

O'Dowda.

Looked good for a time around November but that seems to have dissipated significantly. Coventry, Blackburn and some other games he looked encouraging in that Wingback role but...won us a penalty at Coventry, should have won us a 2nd- but he's never really had a consistent vein of form since 2017/18 when he was in really strong form by which I mean a consistent end product- in the Autumn...and got his injury.  He has shown flashes- think bits of 2018/19 but has stood still at best for much of the last 3 years IMO.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I said in a different thread this is part of the problem: fluffy old Bristol City, safe, nice area, comfortable, family feel. 

Part of the transformation needed of our club is to get rid of that in my view. 

I can’t recall who said it on a Cider With on OSIB but we were referred to as being an easy street option by footballers.

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Didn't say that last time, did he?

City weren't big enough for him, he thought himself able to play at the highest level, Leeds were all over him. Until that is, they weren't. Neither were anybody else. He was lucky City were so stupid as to give him a new deal.

Correct. Apart from the perennial under achieving a lot of people forget he wanted away. 

• Like 1

Really look forward to an Ole report and normally agree with most of the content, scoring seems to have gone a bit off recently though in terms of my thoughts. So, the verdict from the South Devon jury:-

O’Leary 5  

Pring 7

Kalas 6

Vyner 6

Massengo 8

Scott 8

Dasilva 7

O’Dowda 4

Weimann 6

Martin 5

Semenyo 6

Williams 8

Wells 6

Good report as always, and pretty much as I saw it via red button. Lots of criticism of Max across the forum, but not easy when so many attackers are losing their markers with such ease. All part of the learning curve, for both younger players, and fans, used to managers having a transfer budget.

To Preston… and beyond 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I don't know why our tactics was to constantly get it to the left channel and cross.

Our forwards were always outnumbered by a couple more Luton players at least. Too easy for them.

Our strikers are not that much of a threat with balls into the box. Even the good crosses were dealt with by Luton's defence.

It reminds me a bit of the other Luton game at our place. Though in that game it was get it to Vyner at right back who would cross from deep.

The Luton defenders are not having to think much about what will happen next.

Why not roll a ball into the feet of Semenyo with his back to goal on the edge of the box. There is no variety to our play. Those Luton defenders had problems when we hit them on the break, but it was far too easy for them to defend us when we had them pinned back.

Lets be fair, that has been our problem for literally four years plus now. Look at the Cardiff game on Saturday, we destroyed them on the counter. We may be able to make tweaks with tactics but it will take new personnel unfortunately before we are really able to boss games possession wise AND be a goal threat at the same time.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I don't know why our tactics was to constantly get it to the left channel and cross.

Our forwards were always outnumbered by a couple more Luton players at least. Too easy for them.

Our strikers are not that much of a threat with balls into the box. Even the good crosses were dealt with by Luton's defence.

It reminds me a bit of the other Luton game at our place. Though in that game it was get it to Vyner at right back who would cross from deep.

The Luton defenders are not having to think much about what will happen next.

Why not roll a ball into the feet of Semenyo with his back to goal on the edge of the box. There is no variety to our play. Those Luton defenders had problems when we hit them on the break, but it was far too easy for them to defend us when we had them pinned back.

Misery guts ???

There was a time when we’d all be celebrating a cross, just one cross.

???