IGNORED

Pearson’s Pillars

RedRock

3 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Are we on the cusp of an up-turn in performance?

I thought, in spells, we played some of our best football for years last night. A style of football based on power, passion, precision, pace and punching wolves.  Are these Pearson’s pillars?

After witnessing years of limp-wristed, slow, ponderous play what a revelation. 

We weren’t just winning 50:50’s, our youngsters - Scott, Semenyo, Pring, Vyner, Hano and Jay were consistently winning 40:60’s. That I like to see. Not only did they ‘dig in’ they showed immense skill, real high quality control, quick feet and sharp passing. A real desire to get the ball forward, quickly. Brilliant.

Far from being out of the woods yet. For me, we are still in the relegation mix. Confidence could evaporate if we keep gifting soft goals away.

However, there’s hope. Genuine hope we have a leader that’ll dispense with the half- hearted and only put players out on the pitch that will give their all, and then some. 

Keep it going Nige…and Tins, I’ve been a critic of the Academy system for decades but at last we have a batch of youngsters that have the right attitude, skills and strength. Good on you. 

COYRs.

Slight correction for accuracy. 

• Haha 3

I think there have been genuine signs of improvement for weeks. The results haven't been there maybe, but the control and confidence on the ball looks better. It's taken a long time for the message to get through to some, maybe the younger ones now feel more comfortable and the trust that Nige has shown is bearing fruit. Even in defeat (even getting smashed at Fulham) I could see improvement, I have enjoyed the football more in the last 5/6 games , than I have for about 18 months. Long way to go, and a lot to sort out, but I am a bit happier than I have been, and some of the young lads have me really hopeful for the future.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

As ever NP was for me spot-on post match, https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/pearson-frustrated-with-missed-opportunity/

He is doing an amazing job IMO - has cleared out loads of dead wood, set out what he expects, certainly isn’t going to compromise and is instilling a style of play and mind set that bode well.

Culture change ain’t easy and takes time, NP is making decent in roads in transforming things however we all know there’s a way to go. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Are we on the cusp of an up-turn in performance?

I thought, in spells, we played some of our best football for years last night. A style of football based on power, passion, precision and pace. Are these Pearson’s pillars?

After witnessing years of limp-wristed, slow, ponderous play what a revelation. 

We weren’t just winning 50:50’s, our youngsters - Scott, Semenyo, Pring, Vyner, Hano and Jay were consistently winning 40:60’s. That I like to see. Not only did they ‘dig in’ they showed immense skill, real high quality control, quick feet and sharp passing. A real desire to get the ball forward, quickly. Brilliant.

Far from being out of the woods yet. For me, we are still in the relegation mix. Confidence could evaporate if we keep gifting soft goals away.

However, there’s hope. Genuine hope we have a leader that’ll dispense with the half- hearted and only put players out on the pitch that will give their all, and then some. 

Keep it going Nige…and Tins, I’ve been a critic of the Academy system for decades but at last we have a batch of youngsters that have the right attitude, skills and strength. Good on you. 

COYRs.

Not sure that Tinnion adds much these days but agree with everything else. Given time, Pearson will have us in better shape than we've been in for decades. After all, he's about the best qualified manager we've ever appointed. 

• Like 3

We looked like a possession based footballing side with plenty of attacking threat and it was enjoyable to watch, you felt like something was going to happen when we went forward with intensity and for me as a fan that’s all you can ask, of course the weakness in defending set pieces has and will be debated until we find a solution but the young players have genuinely stepped up in aggression, confidence and quickly free flowing football, it’s exciting and Nige has to take credit for that. If we can keep this squad together and add the quality in certain areas last night has taught me we have reason to be optimistic. I’ve seen us play far worse and win, which was the first thing I was thinking as I exited the Luton away end through someone’s back garden..rare to feel that positive in defeat. Here’s hoping the confidence and performance levels continue to grow and we finish the season in positive momentum for next year.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Not sure that Tinnion adds much these days but agree with everything else. Given time, Pearson will have us in better shape than we've been in for decades. After all, he's about the best qualified manager we've ever appointed. 

Curious as to why you think that?  I'd say that the many of the young players have benefitted from the moves he got them as Loans Manager.  Now as Academy Director, he surely has even more responsibility to bring to the table, doesn't he?

• Thanks 1

We aren't anywhere near the relegation mix. I reckon only 3 more wins are required- in fact even if Derby get above Reading then on run rate we need 2 wins. Barnsley are gone and Peterborough couldn't even hang to a 2 goal lead with 5 mins to go. Looks like them, Cardiff, Reading or Derby will take the other 2 slots. We can beat the bottom sides like Cardiff, Barnsley, Peterborough so we will get the 3 wins - even playing as badly as we were 2 months ago etc.

But yes things have been improving ever since QPR home. Improve that soft centre at set pieces and we have the makings of a top half team who can keep on improving.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Curious as to why you think that?  I'd say that the many of the young players have benefitted from the moves he got them as Loans Manager.  Now as Academy Director, he surely has even more responsibility to bring to the table, doesn't he?

What's he adding right now? 

No loans of any note to manage (Moore, Janneh, Edwards  Britton, Bakinson and Pearson are all loans with a view to getting rid, in my opinion, not with an eye on developing players we see as having a future here)

He doesn't coach. He doesn't talent spot. I suppose someone's got to be Academy Director though.

What does that entail?

Have we gone out of our way to find the best possible candidate for that job? An important one, given the emphasis we're now placing on fast-tracking our youngsters along the pathway and into the first team. 

The truth is, he's always been a cosy Lansdown appointment.

Under Pearson, there's no room for cosy any longer. And rightly so.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

9 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

He's here,he's there, he's every ****** where.......Massingo, Massingo.

Thought he was immense, last night !

5 hours ago, Corsham Ed said:

Or as my 86 year old Father-in Law calls him, Nyatanga :) 

Or as my 86 year old Father-in-Law calls him, Massengo ... ?????? - apologies but as an oft maligned pedant i just had to live up to the stuff aimed at me! Apologies again ...

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

These two statements contradict each other massively then considering his appointment to Director happened on Nige's watch!

The truth is that none of us know what is on his job description. Since he returned he's helped a hell of a lot of players progress from his careful loan placements.

The truth is also that due to our financial situation we're can't simply pay she loss of money to someone with 20 years experience running an academy. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

What's he adding right now? 

No loans of any note to manage (Moore, Janneh, Edwards  Britton, Bakinson and Pearson are all loans with a view to getting rid, in my opinion, not with an eye on developing players we see as having a future here)

He doesn't coach. He doesn't talent spot. I suppose someone's got to be Academy Director though.

What does that entail?

Have we gone out of our way to find the best possible candidate for that job? An important one, given the emphasis we're now placing on fast-tracking our youngsters along the pathway and into the first team. 

Well looking at the young kids coming though under his watch as loans manager and academy coach as well as other roles he's held, then I would say he does quite alot

• Like 3