IGNORED

Frank Lampard’s Everton

Jerseybean

On 29/01/2022 at 01:06, bpexile said:

I was pleasantly surprised to hear thar Rooney has turned down the job offer. Not that I'm a Rooney fan by any means but I found it quite refreshing to see some loyalty that is often missing from today's game.

Rooney has showed utter class during his time with Derby. Maybe the media have a lot to answer for his unpopularity, I think

• Like 2

3 hours ago, swanker said:

How many of those trophies were won in Scotland?

As a manager Souness won 7 trophies in Scotland, 2 in Turkey and 2 in England - that record hardly makes him the ‘biggest fraud in management’ as you said. Presumably you think the trophies he won in Scotland don’t count as you probably dismiss Scottish football as being too low a level?

However, Souness managed in Scotland in the era of Alex Ferguson being in charge at Aberdeen, he won the Scottish premier league with The Dons a year before Souness arrived as Rangers manager. Fergie had also recently won the European Cup Winners Cup - beating Real Madrid in the final. Dundee United was also a force at that time, they’d won the Scottish premier league just a few years before Souness hecame Rangers manager and they also beat Barcelona home and away on their way to reaching the UEFA Cup Final in that era. Dundee United also reached the semi final of the European Cup the year Souness arrived at Ibrox. When Souness became Rangers manager Scottish football was very competitive - it was far from being a two horse race back then. Rangers had not won the Scottish premier league for 10 years when they appointed Souness as manager, he promptly won it 3 times in 4 years. What a ‘fraud’...

I guess you dismissed our League One title triumph under Cotts as being an achievement that didn’t count as it was only the third tier of English football? I suppose you believe that any honour won by a manager below the English premier league, or in another country, doesn’t count as it’s too low a level?

So to you, a manager can win 11 major trophies yet still be ‘the biggest fraud in management’? That’s a strange point of view if you don’t mind me saying. Guys like Gary Johnson and Cotts may as well throw away their CVs because the multiple honours they have won obviously don’t count in your eyes as they were achieved at too low a level ... they must be ‘frauds’ as well ?! ?

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

4 hours ago, 2015 said:

Rooney has showed utter class during his time with Derby. Maybe the media have a lot to answer for his unpopularity, I think

I also think he's looked at Everton and thought "basket case". Which they are behind the scenes. He is getting great reviews for the job he is doing at Derby and his time will come...... He can do better than have his reputation ruined by Everton, that's for sure.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

As a manager Souness won 7 trophies in Scotland, 2 in Turkey and 2 in England - that record hardly makes him the ‘biggest fraud in management’ as you said. Presumably you think the trophies he won in Scotland don’t count as you probably dismiss Scottish football as being too low a level?

If so, I guess you dismissed our League One title triumph under Cotts as being an achievement that didn’t count as it was only the third tier of English football? I suppose you believe that any honour won by a manager below the English premier league doesn’t count as it’s too low a level?

So to you, a manager can win 11 major trophies yet still be ‘the biggest fraud in management’? That’s a strange point of view if you don’t mind me saying. Guys like Gary Johnson and Cotts may as well throw away their CVs because the multiple honours they have won obviously don’t count in your eyes as they were achieved at too low a level ... they must be ‘frauds’ as well ?! ?

Thanks for the info. There was me not rating Souness as a manager and now I know he won 7 trophies in Scotland and 2 in Turkey. 
Fair play to the bloke ?

22 minutes ago, swanker said:

Thanks for the info. There was me not rating Souness as a manager and now I know he won 7 trophies in Scotland and 2 in Turkey. 
Fair play to the bloke ?

I edited my original reply to you (above) to give more info on why his achievements in Scotland were very notable - when he joined Rangers as manager Scottish football was far from a two horse race - indeed back then both Aberdeen and Dundee United were taking European football by storm whilst also winning Scottish premier league titles.

You think Souness is “the biggest fraud in management” - I disagree, he’s won 11 trophies as a gaffer in three different countries. And I notice you chose to ignore my question to you as to whether you think Cotts and GJ should also be labelled “management frauds” as all their many achievements have come at the lower levels of English football ...

And you now seemed to have downgraded your opinion of Souness from “biggest fraud in management” to “you don’t rate him as a manager” - there’s a huge difference between those two views ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I edited my original reply to you (above) to give more info on why his achievements in Scotland were very notable - when he joined Rangers as manager Scottish football was far from a two horse race - indeed back then both Aberdeen and Dundee United were taking European football by storm whilst also winning Scottish premier league titles.

You think Souness is “the biggest fraud in management” - I disagree, he’s won 11 trophies as a gaffer in three different countries. And I notice you chose to ignore my question to you as to whether you think Cotts and GJ should also be labelled “management frauds” as all their many achievements have come at the lower levels of English football ...

And you now seemed to have downgraded your opinion of Souness from “biggest fraud in management” to “you don’t rate him as a manager” - there’s a huge difference between those two 

Souness stole a good living as a manger because of his reputation as a player. Once he got found out in the English top tier he packed in. 

As for Dundee taking Europe by storm, I remember it well. ?

• Admin
5 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I also think he's looked at Everton and thought "basket case". Which they are behind the scenes. He is getting great reviews for the job he is doing at Derby and his time will come...... He can do better than have his reputation ruined by Everton, that's for sure.

Completely agree, he's on course to do something amazing if he can keep Derby up. 

Everton are imploding and I get the feeling there's worse to come for them. 

I personally think Lampard has made a mistake taking this position, obviously not as tainted as Rafa was but being connected with West Ham and Chelsea will do him no favours with the Everton supporters when things start going wrong 

A bit off course, but Rooney is pleasantly surprising me. He just never struck me as the type for management, in the modern game, but is clearly a lot smarter than i (and many) give him credit for. And yes, as others have said, loyal, especially to turn down his boyhood club as the Derby job isn't yet done. And I read he was paying wages or something for the club out of his own pocket. With the Mendy and Greenwood headlines, it's a nice contrast.

I think him and Gerrard have something about them as managers. Not sure about Frank yet, but he seems a smart chap, and is obviously respected by the players. Be interesting to see where the 3 of them are in their managerial careers in 5 years.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, swanker said:

Souness stole a good living as a manger because of his reputation as a player. Once he got found out in the English top tier he packed in. 

As for Dundee taking Europe by storm, I remember it well. ?

Not Dundee - it was Dundee United, there are two teams in Dundee, you obviously didn’t know that. Back then Dundee United got to the semi final of what is now the champions league and they also beat Barcelona home and away on their journey to the UEFA Cup Final, I don’t know how you can belittle achievements like that from relatively small places in a relatively small country ..

Agreed,I think he has shown very good leadership, he has undoubtedly made a couple of bad decisions in life but hey who hasn't?, I know there are things I could have handled a lot better.

As you say, the media are quick to pounce on anything to make juicy stories & don't give a 5hit about destroying somebody's reputation :thumbsup:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DolmanGaz said:

A bit off course, but Rooney is pleasantly surprising me. He just never struck me as the type for management, in the modern game, but is clearly a lot smarter than i (and many) give him credit for. And yes, as others have said, loyal, especially to turn down his boyhood club as the Derby job isn't yet done. And I read he was paying wages or something for the club out of his own pocket. With the Mendy and Greenwood headlines, it's a nice contrast.

I think him and Gerrard have something about them as managers. Not sure about Frank yet, but he seems a smart chap, and is obviously respected by the players. Be interesting to see where the 3 of them are in their managerial careers in 5 years.  

Agreed with all of that. Rooney is currently doing extremely well in difficult circumstances, and has come out of this with a lot more respect from people in the football world (in the game and with fans of various clubs), because he publicly stated he wanted to stay at Derby, when many others would have jumped at the first chance.

Will be interesting to see how they do in the coming months, after having some of their squad moved on last month. That will be another challenge, and if Rooney can come out of that pretty well, then a move in the summer could well be on the cards for him.

31 minutes ago, Spike said:

All this talk of Lampard aside the purchase of Alli is the one that's shocked me, every time I've seen him play recently he's be beyond awful! Talks of potential £40 fee... boggles my mind. 

It's worth a punt at that. Why didn't we get him down the Gate? Even City could spare two twenties.

On 29/01/2022 at 01:06, bpexile said:

I was pleasantly surprised to hear thar Rooney has turned down the job offer. Not that I'm a Rooney fan by any means but I found it quite refreshing to see some loyalty that is often missing from today's game.

Well he never was loyal to Everton.