IGNORED

Pen / Dive / looking for it . Quest.

1960maaan

Their version had Semenyo sticking his leg out to get a Pen. A player who is on fire and getting his first run of goals. A player, by their words, who has been involved in 9 goals in last 8 appearances. A player that has the legs of the defender and running non Goal.  Personally I don't think so.
TBF I get why they are trying to say that, Semenyo's foot hits the back of the guy's leg, but it's because he's running across AS's line, IMO any way.

Here you go.

For me, he try to do exactly what Dean Ashton says he would do, the defender trips him. Semenyo doesn't reach his leg out to get tripped , he goes for the ball.  You just know, our next Pen, due about 2025, will be a soft one after having 3 actual assaults turned down.
Anyway, screen shot below. For me shows he is just running towards the ball. The other I thought was a Pen, on HNM, I guess we will have to wait to see if they publish the full 90 to see it.

310049691_Screenshot2022-01-30at09_11_57.png.cb6ac5637f6b92eceac0732362f71f3c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scott v QPR & Forest, the one in the opening minutes at Coventry that should have seen their keeper sent off, Dasilva at Fulham.

Something doesn’t add up, you can be unlucky once or twice but we consistently don’t get clear penalties awarded.

For what it’s worth I think on the balance of probability you get one of these two (the push for me is the stronger one) but in isolation I can see why neither were awarded more than I can the 4 I mentioned above.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Their version had Semenyo sticking his leg out to get a Pen. A player who is on fire and getting his first run of goals. A player, by their words, who has been involved in 9 goals in last 8 appearances. A player that has the legs of the defender and running non Goal.  Personally I don't think so.
TBF I get why they are trying to say that, Semenyo's foot hits the back of the guy's leg, but it's because he's running across AS's line, IMO any way.

Here you go.

For me, he try to do exactly what Dean Ashton says he would do, the defender trips him. Semenyo doesn't reach his leg out to get tripped , he goes for the ball.  You just know, our next Pen, due about 2025, will be a soft one after having 3 actual assaults turned down.
Anyway, screen shot below. For me shows he is just running towards the ball. The other I thought was a Pen, on HNM, I guess we will have to wait to see if they publish the full 90 to see it.

310049691_Screenshot2022-01-30at09_11_57.png.cb6ac5637f6b92eceac0732362f71f3c.png

It's clever play from Semenyo, it's what you do as a forward in that situation. Play it across the defenders path...they either have to pull out of the tackle, or do what's happened here.

It's a penalty all day long. 

Semenyo was too strong and fast for him...

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's clever play from Semenyo, it's what you do as a forward in that situation. Play it across the defenders path...they either have to pull out of the tackle, or do what's happened here.

It's a penalty all day long. 

Semenyo was too strong and fast for him...

I think he is trying to go past their player and at the same time is looking for it, if that makes any sense.

I don’t think it ‘should’ be a penalty, but in the modern game almost certainly is. Sterling has made a career of getting penalties like that. If it’s given it’s a ‘forward has done the defender there’.

Equally, not the sort of penalty we are being given.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

Check out the clip I posted yesterday: https://streamja.com/29M0k

First angle for me he's mid dive when he gets clipped, or at least a pretty unnatural leg movement

The opponent does not have to concede space there as he is in playable distance of the ball. Semenyo can't play the ball into the opponents path and then clip his opponent to gain a penalty. 

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, cityexile said:

I think he is trying to go past their player and at the same time is looking for it, if that makes any sense.

I don’t think it ‘should’ be a penalty, but in the modern game almost certainly is. Sterling has made a career of getting penalties like that. If it’s given it’s a ‘forward has done the defender there’.

Equally, not the sort of penalty we are being given.

100% looking for it like all strikers would. As said, he changed the angle to cut across the defender. It is the defenders responsibility to pull out of the challenge or give away the foul. You can say that is a no win for the defender but is the price he pays for allowing AS to go past him in the first place. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

100% looking for it like all strikers would. As said, he changed the angle to cut across the defender. It is the defenders responsibility to pull out of the challenge or give away the foul. You can say that is a no win for the defender but is the price he pays for allowing AS to go past him in the first place. 

It is not defenders responsibilty to alter his path. Semenyo has to run around him and fails to do so.  

• Like 1

Just now, Cowshed said:

It is not defenders responsibilty to alter his path. Semenyo has to run around him and fails to do so.  

That is the case for the defence.

I think Sem plays it too much in to the defenders path. At that stage the defender is ahead of Sem, closer to the ball and ‘in possession’. In the refs view then Sem essentially clips him from behind.

Its fractional in truth, but not one like the QPR one which was stonewall.

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

Semenyo is past him. The defender bungling into him is unlucky but it is clumsy. He also doesn’t try to play the ball. He just runs into him. It is a pen and one you’d expected given 90% of the time. It is given even more a division higher. 

13 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

For me, the ref wasn’t in a good enough position to not give it and with no VAR it’s a pen . 

Which is a different issue. How can you expect good decisions from blokes in their mid 40s or older to keep up with the likes of Semenyo and Pring after running around for 90 min himself. Lino on the other side for both incidents too. I don’t think he was good but not an easy task. 

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Which is a different issue. How can you expect good decisions from blokes in their mid 40s or older to keep up with the likes of Semenyo and Pring after running around for 90 min himself. Lino on the other side for both incidents too. I don’t think he was good but not an easy task. 

Very good point , not an easy task at all , I wouldn’t want the job .

3 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

VAR would not have changed it As it was not an obvious mistake 

On another day it might have been given but it wasn’t so doesn’t make any difference. NP saw it as a pen .Very difficult for the guy in the middle and assistants ,as we know, some are better than others at making the correct calls. Can only give what they see etc 

16 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The defender didn't commit a foul so no penalty. It really should be that simple. 

It’s one of those. From the clip, watching the knees of the defender he catches him. Watching Sems right leg his last step is certainly unnatural.

Alongside this, 

https://streamja.com/KLr5v

Sem plays the ball wide knowing he is then going to get clattered. Cynically, you get one of those if you are near the top it seems. To be clear, I think the ref got both just about right, but he is being given a decision to make.

Edited by cityexile

3 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Definitely not a penalty- diving to gain an unfair advantage is absolutely part of the game and a skill in itself.

What do you mean by diving? There was no dive in this scenario. I can see why people say it is or it isn’t. I can’t see why anyone would think semenyo dived

45 minutes ago, cityexile said:

It’s one of those. From the clip, watching the knees of the defender he catches him. Watching Sems right leg his last step is certainly unnatural.

Alongside this, 

https://streamja.com/KLr5v

Sem plays the ball wide knowing he is then going to get clattered. Cynically, you get one of those if you are near the top it seems. To be clear, I think the ref got both just about right, but he is being given a decision to make.

Didn’t get it right though because he gave PNE a free kick. Either pen or nothing at all surely, how has Semenyo conceded a free kick there?

• Like 1