IGNORED

Antoine this past week and for a while

firstdivision

35 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

The biggest improvement is his finishing. The goal yesterday and his brace against Fulham were clinical. The lad is a diamond, which we'll hopefully be polishing to devastating effect. 

Sometimes with these young ‘un’s it is literally a case of persevering until the penny drops. There will be a lot of posters with egg on face the way Antoine is going…..

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

The biggest improvement is his finishing. The goal yesterday and his brace against Fulham were clinical. The lad is a diamond, which we'll hopefully be polishing to devastating effect. 

First touch, too.

When he got back in the side (Derby?) his control suddenly just seemed miles better, the ball used to bounce off him regularly but from then on it stuck & with his strength & pace he’s so difficult to play against.

Scored 4 in his last 4 away games (bizarrely all 6 of his league goals for us have been scored away) & suddenly he looks a goal threat every game.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Arguably the biggest difference is confidence and that has come with games. He was always said by staff to be a good finisher but confidence can take a long time to build. Hammering young players for mistakes only knocks their confidence. As others have said patience is key

• Like 3

I can't remember after which match it was that Pearson moaned about our strikers failing to shoot. I think the improvement has a lot to do with that managerial and coaching clarity about what's expected. Ever since then it feels like he's just much more willing to pull the trigger. And is much more focused on getting into positions where he can shoot. And success has followed.

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

First touch, too.

When he got back in the side (Derby?) his control suddenly just seemed miles better, the ball used to bounce off him regularly but from then on it stuck & with his strength & pace he’s so difficult to play against.

Scored 4 in his last 4 away games (bizarrely all 6 of his league goals for us have been scored away) & suddenly he looks a goal threat every game.

His "turn on a sixpence" and cross at the end of the first half yesterday deserved a goal. A really exciting, natural talent, that hasn't been stalled due to his apparently late development. Lots of skilful players have gone into the club system and had their abilty coached out in favour of pragmatism. In short, thank god we disvovered you Antoine.

Edited by Curr Avon

If I liken him to anyone it’s Michael Antonio of West Ham. Power and pace, absolute nightmare to play against 

He is starting to show similar attributes with his assists and goals and he will only get better 

Imagine if we can keep these youngsters together for a few seasons, we could be in for a treat or the club will cash in and we go back to square one 

I said even last year (when he appeared unable to hit a cow’s a*** with a banjo) that we should be playing him up front as he would clearly stretch teams. Not saying this to show what foresight I had (well I am a bit ?), but this has happened and the fact that his composure is improving is icing on the cake. If he’s here next season he’ll get 20-25 goals I reckon.

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Sometimes with these young ‘un’s it is literally a case of persevering until the penny drops. There will be a lot of posters with egg on face the way Antoine is going…..

I've not really posted about him, but I'm absolutely one of them. Few months back, in my mind, thought he didn't look like he'd come good, but boy oh boy has he turned it around. 

Looks absolutely frightening, and the very first name on the team sheet for me. Followed extremely closely by Massengo. We have to keep these two for next season, without a doubt. 

5 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

I said even last year (when he appeared unable to hit a cow’s a*** with a banjo) that we should be playing him up front as he would clearly stretch teams. Not saying this to show what foresight I had (well I am a bit ?), but this has happened and the fact that his composure is improving is icing on the cake. If he’s here next season he’ll get 20-25 goals I reckon.

The change recently has been staggering. It does appear to of clicked. Got to love a City fan though - some positivity that ! ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Akira said:

I've not really posted about him, but I'm absolutely one of them. Few months back, in my mind, thought he didn't look like he'd come good, but boy oh boy has he turned it around. 

Looks absolutely frightening, and the very first name on the team sheet for me. Followed extremely closely by Massengo. We have to keep these two for next season, without a doubt. 

Antoine’s “issue” was he was incredibly raw from a non-Academy background and would have literally needed to learn the tactical side of football required at pro level from scratch. He’s just needed more time than most to get up to speed but the raw ability he has cannot be coached. We just need to guide him how to get the best out of it!!

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Antoine’s “issue” was he was incredibly raw from a non-Academy background and would have literally needed to learn the tactical side of football required at pro level from scratch. He’s just needed more time than most to get up to speed but the raw ability he has cannot be coached. We just need to guide him how to get the best out of it!!

My take on it was he was trying too hard sometimes, lashing at shots without taking a second to think and thinking he had to do everything himself. One thing I have definitely seen from him recently is his willingness to pass to someone in a better position and it makes such a difference.

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

My take on it was he was trying too hard sometimes, lashing at shots without taking a second to think and thinking he had to do everything himself. One thing I have definitely seen from him recently is his willingness to pass to someone in a better position and it makes such a difference.

When you look at the players Pearson has managed he will know talent when he sees it. It’s a great example of perseverance with a player when it would have been easy to say “he’ll never get it”……

• Like 1

8 hours ago, firstdivision said:

I rarely start a thread but no one else has on the subject of Antoine Semenyo. I thought he deserved one.

I can't think of many strikers in the Championship I would swap him for. 

He was superb again yesterday. Deserved to be the match winner. (Sadly wasn't.) He is a constant menace to defences and his all-round game is really coming on.

The chance he created for And Weimann was a superb bit of football. I think he's the main reason for our 'revival' - if only we could defend.

If we could find someone else like him, we'd be lethal. Defences wouldn't know who to keep an eye on. Dreaming a bit now...

Scott, Massengo and Pring as well - we're actually becoming attractive to watch. I don't mind the inconsistency (too much). I did mind the dullness. Let there be light!

It’s the player model we are after, more players with power and pace.  Antoine coming back from injury has made a huge difference.

7 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

I’ve long been an advocate of playing him centrally, but I also said some of his shooting (last season) comes off the back of a run in from the wing, and then a poor decision, sometimes poorly hit, and I remember Wells looking massively frustrated at wasted positions, when he could’ve slipped him in rather than shoot.

BC7811C3-5523-412D-AD11-7626A159609B.jpeg

F9097639-3F1A-4078-8C90-44D35A9F5134.jpeg
playing centrally he’s in better positions to make better choices, and boy are we benefitting from it.

Edited by Davefevs