IGNORED

Blackpool drive

OneTeamInBristol

M6 on a Friday - try packing a tent and camping stove.

For entertainment run a sweepstake on which junction the accident will be. I'd take 16 and would advise others to grab 17 or 15. If you fancy a double the spread on the Traffic Wombles clearing the carriageway is 2 - 2 1/2 hrs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Anyone done Blackpool away before and driven up on the Friday night?

How long does it normally take? I'm anticipating 5 hours minimum.

I live in Southport, not that far from Blackpool and regularly visit family in Bristol. You won’t do it in under 5 hours if you leave Bristol after lunch. There are miles and mile of bollards on the M6 (no workers or plant, just bollards). 

despite the cost I’d go M5/42/M6 Toll to avoid West Bromwich and Walsall which will be a car park. 

Edited by Southport Red

Currently M6 road works are the best they’ve been for ages, finished the oldbury viaduct, no more contra flow at Stafford but a 60 limit for about 20 miles, 50 limit for a bit just past Manchester.  Not done to Blackpool for a while but took a horse trailer to Fleetwood and it took about 4 hours (slower than it would take a car) but if you’re leaving wilts at 4pm on a Friday expect brum to be a mare, should be clear-ish after that because by the time you clear brum all the traffic up the m6 will have likely made it home! Basically 4-5hours maybe more depending on how lucky or not you get!

Edit: I’d also reccomend the m6 toll despite the cost, it really makes a difference (used to do Aztec West/Falfield junction to Manchester all the time) 

Edited by underover
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Southport Red said:

I live in Southport, not that far from Blackpool and regularly visit family in Bristol. You won’t do it in under 5 hours if you leave Bristol after lunch. There are miles and mile of bollards on the M6 (no workers or plant, just bollards). 

despite the cost I’d go M5/42/M6 Toll to avoid West Bromwich and Walsall which will be a car park. 

Been up to Southport the last few years playing golf, some lovely courses there and nice little town.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomF said:

It's nailed on somewhere between 15-19.  I honestly think I've spent half my living life stationary on that stretch.    One training gig I had was up in Carlisle so thought I'd be smart and take the train.  On that occasion the OH electrics on the WCML were taken down.. just by Stoke..  got home at 2am going via Severn Tunnel 

Wholly concur. I used to visit Southport a couple of times each month and rarely recall there not being an incident on that stretch. The design of the in-feeds from the junctions are dangerous. Worse was given the volume of accidents the Traffic Wombles were always slow in getting things cleared and moving.

Edited by BTRFTG

2 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Been up to Southport the last few years playing golf, some lovely courses there and nice little town.

I'd stay Southport (or Lytham) over Blackpool and though I've spent many an evening there it has to be said the boozers aren't up to much. That said you might also take in a visit to the Lawnmower Museum where, I've been told, they've a new exhibit - one 'grass measuring device' donated by an anonymous punter who apparently no longer has need of it.

• Haha 1