IGNORED

Weather conditions at Blackpool on Saturday are poor

Never to the dark side

900 tickets sold so far,and with it now being pay on the day and prices are reasonably

although its an increase of two pounds extra if you pay on the turnstiles

so we should get over a 1,000 city hoardes at the game

I think that very impressive

Not played Blackpool since march 2013 and we drew 0-0 572 City fans travelled

Although the previous season we got thumped 5-0 on a saturday in october 703 City fans travelled

Trip up should be okay(subject to traffic conditions)

BUT its gonna be very windy from midday-ish onwards

So don't park next to a 200 year old, 100 foot high oak tree.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, phantom said:

Could have been worse, I see the USA Vs Honduras game was played in -16C temperatures

Players were wearing balaclavas and tracksuits under their kits, players were also subbed for being too cold

It was -24C if you factor in the wind chill. Moved there on purpose by the US (so they can upset teams form warm climates more). Can you imagine watching that? Absolutely no thought for the fans.

54 minutes ago, phantom said:

Could have been worse, I see the USA Vs Honduras game was played in -16C temperatures

Players were wearing balaclavas and tracksuits under their kits, players were also subbed for being too cold

That's just bloody stupid!

I mean I'm not one for calling games off for no decent reason, but being subbed because you're too cold, whilst running around is ridiculous.

Forget the season but recall being there one year when for safety reasons the Old Bill moved us off the open terrace at half time (it had turned to sheets of ice and, to be fair to them, was quite dangerous.) Problem being they moved us into the lower tier of the stand on the side and within minutes some of our thugs had entered the upper tier to 'say hello'.?

14 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Forget the season but recall being there one year when for safety reasons the Old Bill moved us off the open terrace at half time (it had turned to sheets of ice and, to be fair to them, was quite dangerous.) Problem being they moved us into the lower tier of the stand on the side and within minutes some of our thugs had entered the upper tier to 'say hello'.?

There used to be matches cancelled when the pitch was playable but the area outside the ground was dangerous due to ice. It’s very rare for this to  happen, if at all  these days  

36 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

There used to be matches cancelled when the pitch was playable but the area outside the ground was dangerous due to ice. It’s very rare for this to  happen, if at all  these days  

Happened to us I recall. We were oblivious having drinks in the Avon Packet only to learn on leaving that the game had been canned (emergency service cover couldn't access the ground.) Given we'd come down from London I swore, ranted, turned back toward TM and immediately ended up flat on my **** proceeding to slide down Greenway Bush Lane faster than Tomba La Bomba ...

I concurred they might have a point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

900 tickets sold so far,and with it now being pay on the day and prices are reasonably

although its an increase of two pounds extra if you pay on the turnstiles

so we should get over a 1,000 city hoardes at the game

I think that very impressive

Not played Blackpool since march 2013 and we drew 0-0 572 City fans travelled

Although the previous season we got thumped 5-0 on a saturday in october 703 City fans travelled

Trip up should be okay(subject to traffic conditions)

BUT its gonna be very windy from midday-ish onwards

So don't park next to a 200 year old, 100 foot high oak tree.

Knowing City when I found we had 3 games in a row away predicted being us we would win one draw one and lose one I think my prediction will be spot on so should be a good day out all round for those travelling COYR.

5 hours ago, CiderJar said:

Thanks for the article; a very enjoyable read.

Whilst I remember the 1963 winter (my father trying to defrost frozen water pipes with a hair dryer), I hadn't yet started to watch live football - we probably wouldn't have made it out of our road even if I had.

6 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

I want to say vs Rovers Boxing Day, 96/97?

Made the trip down with me old man on what was an  black ice rink of an M5 only to be told the game was off as we were literally sliding into the Car Park for Ashton Gate, by a lovely lady who'd apparently seen us and others slip and slide past but had confirmed the game was indeed off. 

Pitch was playable, outside the ground, stands etc were a literal deathtrap (RIP Lynn Foulds Wood)  the rearranged fixture was the infamous Atyeo lockout/crush. 

Dunno if going to Blackpool Sat, would love to, but am out Friday, Sunday and Monday and definitely getting too old for this lifestyle. 

I believe it was against The Gas and that it wasn't a Saturday, so you may well be right with the dates.

6 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

I want to say vs Rovers Boxing Day, 96/97?

Made the trip down with me old man on what was an  black ice rink of an M5 only to be told the game was off as we were literally sliding into the Car Park for Ashton Gate, by a lovely lady who'd apparently seen us and others slip and slide past but had confirmed the game was indeed off. 

Pitch was playable, outside the ground, stands etc were a literal deathtrap (RIP Lynn Foulds Wood)  the rearranged fixture was the infamous Atyeo lockout/crush. 

Dunno if going to Blackpool Sat, would love to, but am out Friday, Sunday and Monday and definitely getting too old for this lifestyle. 

It was the day before NYE, a Saturday at the end of 1995 

I can remember looking out the window thinking it wasn’t a bad day for a derby when I saw my neighbour sliding down what looked like a clear pavement. It was in fact covered in freezing rain as was most of Bristol.

Everything was covered in a clear coat of ice, It really was treacherous. I managed to slide from the top of Whiteladies rd to the Hen & Chicken only for it to be called off.

We lost the rearranged fixture a few weeks later but beat them 2-4 in March in what was the last derby at Twerton. 

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I can remember looking out the window thinking it wasn’t a bad day for a derby when I saw my neighbour sliding down what looked like a clear pavement. It was in fact covered in freezing rain as was most of Bristol.

Everything was covered in a clear coat of ice, It really was treacherous. I managed to slide from the top of Whiteladies rd to the Hen & Chicken only for it to be called off.

We lost the rearranged fixture a few weeks later but beat them 2-4 in March in what was the last derby at Twerton. 

I remember that.  God knows why I turned off of the main Wells Road which was fine to take a short cut through the Happy Landings lights.  I applied the brakes, nothing happened apart from the start of a slide down towards West Town Lane, across West Town Lane, and cosied up nicely against the hedge of the Imperial Ground.  No damage done, the kerb slowed me down, but I learned to stick to main roads in snowy, icy conditions after that!

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I remember that.  God knows why I turned off of the main Wells Road which was fine to take a short cut through the Happy Landings lights.  I applied the brakes, nothing happened apart from the start of a slide down towards West Town Lane, across West Town Lane, and cosied up nicely against the hedge of the Imperial Ground.  No damage done, the kerb slowed me down, but I learned to stick to main roads in snowy, icy conditions after that!

The trouble was a lot of it was almost invisible, walking back up Whiteladies I felt like I’d conquered Everest when I’d reached the top, felt like planting a flag.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Me and the missus had arranged to drive from Somerset to York to meet mates for a NYE pub crawl on that day.

Total white knuckle drive up the A39 to Bristol. Cars off the road either side of me who'd obviously slid earlier.  Coming through Whitchurch I saw a cop car that had encountered a lamp post to its detriment.  Got out the car in Bristol to call and tell my mates I was going to be late, only to nearly fall on my arse!

After Bristol, the ice gave way to falling snow and somewhere near Thornbury my iced-up driver side windscreen wiper went flying off onto the M5. Had to drive for 5 miles on the hard shoulder with my head stuck out the window in a blizzard!

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Me and the missus had arranged to drive from Somerset to York to meet mates for a NYE pub crawl on that day.

Total white knuckle drive up the A39 to Bristol. Cars off the road either side of me who'd obviously slid earlier.  Coming through Whitchurch I saw a cop car that had encountered a lamp post to its detriment.  Got out the car in Bristol to call and tell my mates I was going to be late, only to nearly fall on my arse!

After Bristol, the ice gave way to falling snow and somewhere near Thornbury my iced-up driver side windscreen wiper went flying off onto the M5. Had to drive for 5 miles on the hard shoulder with my head stuck out the window in a blizzard!

Yeah I’m glad that kind of freezing rain is quite a rare event. I didn’t drive anywhere that day but on my walk from Redland to Bedminster and back I’ve never seen so many crashes and people on their arses.

The BRI must have been very busy mending broken wrists etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Everything was covered in a clear coat of ice, It really was treacherous. I managed to slide from the top of Whiteladies rd to the Hen & Chicken

Treacherous indeed....

All records broken that day (if you'll pardon the expression) for "new fractures" at Bristol's A&E departments...

Well plastered ?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Happened to us I recall. We were oblivious having drinks in the Avon Packet only to learn on leaving that the game had been canned (emergency service cover couldn't access the ground.) Given we'd come down from London I swore, ranted, turned back toward TM and immediately ended up flat on my **** proceeding to slide down Greenway Bush Lane faster than Tomba La Bomba ...

I concurred they might have a point.

I was a part time Postie then, after redundancy. Had to get to work at 5am, not problem  Out to Redland and alls well, did my round no problem and got back to the car to see something on the windscreen. The flash freeze caused ripples of water down the glass, absolutely solid , hell of a job scraping it off.  Bus to town was OK and we skidded to the Port Wall Tavern, but after a few beers  we heard the game was off, trying to walk back was ridiculous, mate rang his Dad who came and picked us up. First and only time I've seen anything like it.