IGNORED

A full hour dedicated to the Ashton Gate 8 - on tonight's 'Sound Of The City'

Curr Avon

• The title was changed to A full hour dedicated to the Ashton Gate 8 - on tonight's 'Sound Of The City'
31 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

E30, E31 & E32 have cards to hold up on the eigth minute verses Boro per Scott Davidson. The rows around me are currently about half full most games. Let's hope everyone turns up.

Hold up a card in each hand and stick one on your head 

• Haha 1

Wow what a great programme, I didn't start watching City until later in 1982 but that was powerful stuff. I don't mind admitting that Jonathan Pearce's raw emotion brought a tear to my eye. The thought of no more Bristol City is an horrific one. Well done to the Eight and let us never get into that situation again.

• Like 3

The eight saved the club on that day and they deserve the recognition but it was supporters that help resurrect the club in the months after with purchasing of shares to start off the new club . 
Remember kids giving pocket money and adults putting savings toward buying shares of which I was one. It was a tremendous effort from the fan base to start the rebuilding of the new club . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, gavlin said:

The eight saved the club on that day and they deserve the recognition but it was supporters that help resurrect the club in the months after with purchasing of shares to start off the new club . 
Remember kids giving pocket money and adults putting savings toward buying shares of which I was one. It was a tremendous effort from the fan base to start the rebuilding of the new club . 

Exactly. The then Supporters Trust covered the whole saga, interviewing amongst others, John Southern, from Friends of Bristol City who raised £4000, and Terry Grady £1000 for his 24 hour marathon walk around the Ashton Gate pitch, plus a candid chat with Deryn Coller for the 25th Anniversary commemoration booklet, "82 - The Year Bristol City Nearly Died."

Edited by Curr Avon

9 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Exactly. The then Supporters Trust covered the whole saga, interviewing amongst others, John Southern, from Friends of Bristol City who raised £4000, and Terry Grady £1000 for his 24 hour marathon walk around the Ashton Gate pitch, plus a candid chat with Deryn Coller for the 25th Anniversary commemoration booklet, "82 - The Year Bristol City Nearly Died."

Morning , listened to your comments on Saturday very informative and for someone who was 2 in ‘82 certainly a period I have no recollection of.  Is it possible to get a copy of the commemoration booklet? How did you get involved as based on your picture above you appear too young to have lived through it. 
I hope the story gets national attention, especially with JP involved and his BBC connections - the chasing of the dream of top flight football, paying over 100% of turnover on wages means football hasn’t learnt from our experience (and to an extent nor have we).

14 minutes ago, daored said:

Morning , listened to your comments on Saturday very informative and for someone who was 2 in ‘82 certainly a period I have no recollection of.  Is it possible to get a copy of the commemoration booklet? How did you get involved as based on your picture above you appear too young to have lived through it. 
I hope the story gets national attention, especially with JP involved and his BBC connections - the chasing of the dream of top flight football, paying over 100% of turnover on wages means football hasn’t learnt from our experience (and to an extent nor have we).

That’s not Mark (CurrAvon) above, that’s Jordan Hall, the artist.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, daored said:

Oh!!! 2+2 = 5!!

Apologies, I should have explained that those two images were previously tweeted by Geoff Twentyman to promote last night's Sound of the City.

I'm Mark Tovey, formerly a board member of the Supporters Trust and Supporters Club and Trust, and just one of a number of fantastic volunteers who produced the 38-page booklet, 82 - The Year Bristol City Nearly Died, over 7 breathless weeks, contributing 100's of hours, during December 2006 and January 2007. The edition (containing interviews with all the players, plus Deryn Coller, Mick Harford, Roy Hodgson, Gerry Sharpe, Bob Boyd and Gordon Taylor) was published on the night of the 25th Anniversary commemoration dinner for the Ashton Gate 8 - attended by all the players - that was held in the old Dolman Exhibition Hall on Friday February 4th 2007.

I'll ask the Trust if there are any spare copies and get back to you.

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

One of my old mans mate put in £300 and had a few too many one day years ago and let Sexstone have it ?

I think Sextone came across a bit Mark Ashton like, but was actually a very good administrator. And although he didn't sound like it, I think he may have hailed from Bedminster.

Edited by Sleepy1968

3 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Apologies, I should have explained that those two images were previously tweeted by Geoff Twentyman to promote last night's Sound of the City.

I'm Mark Tovey, formerly a board member of the Supporters Trust and Supporters Club and Trust, and just one of a number of fantastic volunteers who produced the 38-page booklet, 82 - The Year Bristol City Nearly Died, over 7 breathless weeks, contributing 100's of hours, during December 2006 and January 2007. The edition (containing interviews with all the players, plus Deryn Coller, Mick Harford, Roy Hodgson, Gerry Sharpe, Bob Boyd and Gordon Taylor) was published on the night of the 25th Anniversary commemoration dinner for the Ashton Gate 8 - attended by all the players - that was held in the old Dolman Exhibition Hall on Friday February 4th 2007.

I'll ask the Trust if there are any spare copies and get back to you.

I think there would be quite a few fans interested in obtaining a copy of this could a reprint be done or is this unlikely?

JP was fantastic last night I knew he was a City fan but didn't quite realise how close his connection to the club was hearing his stories was a bit of a tear jerker and obviously still very emotional for him. We have a lot to be thankful due to the 8 and their willingness to put their own sistuations to one side for the club and it certainly wasn't all roses for them afterwards either. It's also sad in a way that football is still not learning some of the lessons from incidents like this around club finances.

Edited by TMWANG50
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, TMWANG50 said:

I think there would be quite a few fans interested in obtaining a copy of this could a reprint be done or is this unlikely?

JP was fantastic last night I knew he was a City fan but didn't quite realise how close his connection to the club was hearing his stories was a bit of a tear jerker and obviously still very emotional for him. We have a lot to be thankful due to the 8 and their willingness to put their own sistuations to one side for the club and it certainly wasn't all roses for them afterwards either. It's also sad in a way that football is still not learning some of the lessons from incidents like this around club finances.

Agree, I was too young for ‘82. Interesting a booklet is being given to season card holders be good if could be available for purchase for non card holders. 

Would be good if the club could put on a testimonial for this guys and all proceeds be distributed to the 8, as listening to the show it certainly appears they’ve not been given the thanks they deserve.

Ive only had one contact with any of the 8 - Jimmy Mann and based on my conversation with him I’m not surprised to hear it won’t be attending 

• Like 2

J. Pearce. Firstly far more than just a fan. I had no idea he was that closely connected to the club. 

Secondly, and yes this is a little bit off topic, because they do deserve a moment just about them. But football, it's in all of us, and everything we do, isn't it? The momories, the moments, the friendships, the amazing, the embarrassing, the have we really just conceded in injury time again.

from the children seeing a stadium for the first time, to those now in countries further a field, connecting to their club however they can. they didn't just save a football club, they saved this gift giving way of life for generations to come. 

• Like 1