IGNORED

Corners

OneTeamInBristol

One of the most infuriating things for me so far this season has been our corners.

We very rarely seem to put the ball in the box direct from the corner, most of the time it goes short, switches from one side to the other and is then lumped into the box at a much worse angle. On occasion this season it has also gone straight back to the corner taker who is then offside! 

I know we are not the biggest, most physical team currently even with the addition of Klose but just put the bloody ball in the box every now and then, defenders may put it in their own net or the keeper might spill it.

When most teams get a corner there is excitement at the chance of an attempt on goal, when City get one it's a disappointment as you know within 5 seconds the ball will either be back with our keeper or the opposition.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, The turtle said:

Two corner crimes 

A. Taking it short, with no routine in mind

B failure to beat the near post man 

Failure to beat the near post man is not a particularly bad crime for me. 
Lots of corners routines are designed to get the ball into the near post and often it can appear as if it was a totally crap corner, but in actual fact may have only been inches from being perfect. 
However, if it’s clear that the near post move wasn’t the plan, then yes, it’s a major crime. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Matty James hits really good areas from his corners but they are more loopy.  Scott delivers with pace.

James' more area-specific looping crosses from corners are great when you have a team with height.

In other words, everything we most definately do not have.

Hence when it worked with Leicester with i.e. Huth, et company.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Failure to beat the near post man is not a particularly bad crime for me. 
Lots of corners routines are designed to get the ball into the near post and often it can appear as if it was a totally crap corner, but in actual fact may have only been inches from being perfect. 
However, if it’s clear that the near post move wasn’t the plan, then yes, it’s a major crime. 

Fair point ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fuber said:

James' more area-specific looping crosses from corners are great when you have a team with height.

In other words, everything we most definately do not have.

Hence when it worked with Leicester with i.e. Huth, et company.

Yeah, Atkinson and Klose in the same team attacking near and middle of goal, together with Kalas attacking the back post ought to have some threat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

One thing which irritates me is the commentator who says ‘ corner ball ‘ 

It’s just a ‘corner ‘ isn’t it ? 

My bugbear, Major, is the insistence of some pundits (usually Scottish,) who refer to "...a shot on goals.... he should have been marking the near post of the goals et al."

Two uprights joined by a crossbar is a 'goal', is it not?

• Like 1