IGNORED

Hypothetical Question

Edgy Red

If we are to lose one of our young stars this summer... Massengo, Scott or Semenyo, which one do you think would be easiest to cope with?

It's a tough decision but i think i'd cash in on Massengo if we're offered a decent fee (contract length is also a factor)

Alex Scott is getting better week by week and i am excited to see if Antoine can continue his progress. IF Williams can stay fit, we've got another very good option in midfield alongside Scott and James.

Hopefully we can keep all 3 but if we're being realistic it's unlikely, so what do you all think?

• Like 3

What worries me is how we deal with any offers that may come in. Hypothetically speaking, HNM doesn’t sign so we sell, get a decent fee and part ways wondering what might have been. Then another club bids for Semenyo and/or Scott. We obviously have the option to turn them down but what happens if the player(s) themselves then ask to leave? Do we keep them having had their heads turned, risk  a possible transfer request etc…. Or are we forced to sell possibly 2 of the 3, maybe even all 3 in the worst case scenario? The summer is going to be very interesting. 

We would cope without whoever we could sell for the most.  Without getting hung up on what we think they are worth let’s say we got 10 million for Alex but only 5 million for either of the other two then 10 million would allow us to invest across more positions than selling a five million player. We lose a player but get a better squad. 

1 hour ago, grifty said:

I think Massengo.

I'd be happy with a midfield two of Scott & Williams (if fit).

Semenyo is a player that is very difficult to replace and Scott is just amazing.

Leaving aside his fitness record, I like Williams, but he seems like a different sort of player. I know it’s only one game, but the amount of energy that drained from the side when Massengo went off yesterday was scary. Williams is more controlled, steady. I’d love to see a midfield 3 with all of them. 

I think a lot of our choices may rest on whether Kelly and Webster attract big money in the summer. Make anything near £7-10m in sell ons for those and it could lend the chance to not letting any of these 3 go. 
I’d choose Massengo to go though if any, purely because we could cover him more easily than the other two. 

I think Scott would be the easiest to live without based on current ability. I think he looks like he’ll be very very good, but he’s still young and a bit raw at the moment. His value to the team is more “what he could become” rather than specifically what he is right now.

Massengo brings something different, as someone else said energy and he’s improved dramatically this season.

Semenyo the hardest to replace IMO. You don’t find many strong, fast and powerful strikers at this level and in our financial budget. If he keeps those shooting boots on he could be the one to kick us on a level 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Edgy Red said:

If we are to lose one of our young stars this summer... Massengo, Scott or Semenyo, which one do you think would be easiest to cope with?

It's a tough decision but i think i'd cash in on Massengo if we're offered a decent fee (contract length is also a factor)

Alex Scott is getting better week by week and i am excited to see if Antoine can continue his progress. IF Williams can stay fit, we've got another very good option in midfield alongside Scott and James.

Hopefully we can keep all 3 but if we're being realistic it's unlikely, so what do you all think?

I think this summer is too early to sell. At the moment we would be selling potential. In 1 years time we could be selling the finished product for twice the price and enjoying a year of their service

• Like 2

Purely due to contract situations, Massengo. 

I actually think all three could and possibly should decide to stay next season though. At the moment, I think a move for any of them is a bit of a gamble where they may lose a year of football waiting to break through to a premier league side.

Another year standing out at this level whilst playing regularly might get them a bigger move and more chance of getting straight into first team contention.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, italian dave said:

Leaving aside his fitness record, I like Williams, but he seems like a different sort of player. I know it’s only one game, but the amount of energy that drained from the side when Massengo went off yesterday was scary. Williams is more controlled, steady. I’d love to see a midfield 3 with all of them. 

Can you imagine a midfield of Scott - Williams - Massengo - James. 
Not many better in the league IMHO. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Purely due to contract situations, Massengo. 

I actually think all three could and possibly should decide to stay next season though. At the moment, I think a move for any of them is a bit of a gamble where they may lose a year of football waiting to break through to a premier league side.

Another year standing out at this level whilst playing regularly might get them a bigger move and more chance of getting straight into first team contention.

I’m confident all 3 will be here next season.  I think Massengo will sign a new deal.  Maybe I’m naive, but do his reps bother entering negotiations if they have no plans to extend?  We aren’t hearing the kind of noise from Massengo / Agent about looking for another club like we did every window with Brownhill.  That extension may come with a release clause that protects both Han and City.

Would he want to uproot the family set-up he’s got in Bristol at this point?

I would be looking to extend Antoine too.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m confident all 3 will be here next season.  I think Massengo will sign a new deal.  Maybe I’m naive, but do his reps bother entering negotiations if they have no plans to extend?  We aren’t hearing the kind of noise from Massengo / Agent about looking for another club like we did every window with Brownhill.  That extension may come with a release clause that protects both Han and City.

Would he want to uproot the family set-up he’s got in Bristol at this point?

I would be looking to extend Antoine too.

I also think we have a reputation of playing fair by younger players. I think the reporting on the deadline day offers from Semenyo was quite revealing - i.e. that both Antoine and his agent were aware we were rejecting bids and were comfortable with that as they bought into the club's plans for him.

I think both Semenyo and Massengo would want some assurances - and maybe a release clause - in order to sign a new deal at the club but I'd hope the club would be pragmatic about that. I agree that, as long as the club are fair in what they offer and the players are fair in what they asked for, both could extend. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I also think we have a reputation of playing fair by younger players. I think the reporting on the deadline day offers from Semenyo was quite revealing - i.e. that both Antoine and his agent were aware we were rejecting bids and were comfortable with that as they bought into the club's plans for him.

I think both Semenyo and Massengo would want some assurances - and maybe a release clause - in order to sign a new deal at the club but I'd hope the club would be pragmatic about that. I agree that, as long as the club are fair in what they offer and the players are fair in what they asked for, both could extend. 

My post was quite timely with press reports that City and Antoine are in contract discussions.

• Like 1