IGNORED

Injuries starting to bite again

NcnsBcfc

So with COD out for 4-6 weeks, HNM having a fitness test; and NP saying Williams can't play 3 games in a week; who is in CM on Sunday????

Benarous?

Not sure any of the Under 23s are ready, even the much lauded Josh Owers (thank you Mr Gay).

I suppose at a push you could play Vyner there, if there's no-one else.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

So with COD out for 4-6 weeks, HNM having a fitness test; and NP saying Williams can't play 3 games in a week; who is in CM on Sunday????

Benarous?

Not sure any of the Under 23s are ready, even the much lauded Josh Owers (thank you Mr Gay).

Benarous has been in the match day squad 17 times now but only got on the pitch once in the last 8, I’d guess he’s nailed on to start.

Think there is a bit of kidology re HNM, Fleming seemed to think he would be fine. Scott as well of course is the other option.

Owers might well make the bench in the absence of COD, I would expect Williams to be there too, though if we lost someone early in the game he would be far less likely to come on.

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Benarous?

Interesting the way Nige responded to Joe Williams.  He was a bit clever in the way he said he he’d play a lot of minutes on Wednesday, but he did say he only played a half last Saturday.  So maybe 60 mins is possible on Sunday…that extra day might give a bit of leeway.  But if he’s on the bench or not at all, it’s probably proof that Sports Science is helping to drive decisions.  And in fairness I’d rather see him rested on Sunday and see him fit and raring to go next Saturday.  Sunday’s game isn’t all-defining.

48 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Here’s the interview. Very intriguing video again especially half way through actually made me laugh. And towards the end of the video is why I really rate NP and his vision 

Was the bit you were referring to about Semenyo?  If so, he pushed all the credit to Antoine didn’t help?

46 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Benarous has been in the match day squad 17 times now but only got on the pitch once in the last 8, I’d guess he’s nailed on to start.

Think there is a bit of kidology re HNM, Fleming seemed to think he would be fine. Scott as well of course is the other option.

Owers might well make the bench in the absence of COD, I would expect Williams to be there too, though if we lost someone early in the game he would be far less likely to come on.

I’m not sure Nige really does Kidology, pretty straight answers imho, e.g. he hasn’t trained, he will do tomorrow and they’ll judge from that.  If HNM doesn’t make it?

Back 5 and keeper the same.

Weimann, Scott, Benarous

Martin, Semenyo

As you say, Owers in on the bench.

I guess the other (hahaha, there are loads) option is Cundy into RCB3, and Vyner into CM.

note: Nige reads Bristol Online!

Yeh, sounds like a tough decision in midfield. Sounds like Massengo is out - depending on whether the trains tomorrow. Then we are still trying to manage Williams' return. James and King still out as well IIRC. I guess as others say it is for Benarous to step in. 

COD out for 4-6 weeks means we're likely only to see him in April and May, so just for the final 6 or 7 games of the season.

3 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Benarous?

If he's not injured he can....he's not a pensioner....man up FFS! 

• Hmmm 1

4 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Benarous?

COD being out is no loss to us whatsoever. In fact after that effort the other night he can take his time coming back to be honest. If HNM is having a fitness test then its not that bad an injury. I do wonder whether Benarous could do the discipline in the centre at this stage of his development? You could do worse than stick Vyner in there on a one-off basis. I realise that longer term we do have to bring in better than Vyner but I would go as far to say I would stick him in any Bristol City side in front of COD every single day of the week. He's not EVER going to produce at this club end of story.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

If he's not injured he can....he's not a pensioner....man up FFS! 

Coming back from numerous injuries after being out the best part of 18 months but man up, play 3 games in a week. All without bothering to take any of that history into account? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Benarous?

James morton

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Idehen looked a cut above in the last u23 game so wouldn't surprise me.

I was impressed by him and Morton, both first games back.  In fact we fell apart when they both went off.  The other player I thought was good was Owers.  So any of those to make the 18 if needed is fine by me.  Maybe Danny Simpson comes in?  Get the impression for interview that it will be a young’un.

Edited by Davefevs

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would be surprised if he’s had enough game time. If Massengo not fit he might come into the 18.

Assume Towler not fit.

Duncan Idehen?

Dylan Kadji?

I'd forgot about Dylan Kadji. I know a number of people think he'll be the next 'cab off the rank' to graduate from the academy to the 1st team squad. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

12 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yep..has to be this if Williams is too risky to start.

Pearson said what I've been thinking for some time. We have to defend as a team. It isn't as simple as we let in goals so it must be our defence or/and goalie.

Vyner played well in midfield last season. So could go with him alongside Scott.

With Cundy giving us more protection on set pieces I wonder if Pearson could be brave to lose Martin's aerial ability back there. Could he rest Martin and move Weimann up top alongside Semenyo.

We will lose a lot from not having Martin. But Benarous coming in for Martin, playing in behind Weimann and Semenyo gives us something different.

Benarous will offer a forward passing option between the lines which suits the way we now play. 

Dasilva right wing back coming inside on his left foot can feed some nice balls into Benarous. 

Also I've been impressed with Benarous working hard when we are defending. Thinking back to the Stoke win how him and Scott were the ones at the end who worked so hard very deep in our half to keep them away from our goal.

With Pring at wing back he will have to come off on 60 odd minutes. The problem there is we would have to move Scott to right wing back and move Dasilva left wing back.

Williams on for Pring to play alongside Vyner for the last 30 minutes. That's if Williams will be risked at all. If not then we are really struggling.

Martin on as a sub should really help last 20 or so minutes.

Hoping Cundy is good enough at this level. He was very impressive last season at Gillingham.

That's what I'd do. If Massengo is okay then that changes things. 

Really good points there Jon

I don't really like JD at right wing back. He's so left footed that he tends to come inside, and is thus easy to predict. Doesn't give us any width on the right either, hence why Reading were content to give him the freedom of Ashton Gate on weds.

It's out of necessity though isn't it, ie he's still the best option, until at least Tanner comes back.

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I would be surprised if he’s had enough game time. If Massengo not fit he might come into the 18.

Assume Towler not fit.

Duncan Idehen?

Dylan Kadji?

If HNM is out, my hunch is that Williams will be on the bench, I took NP’s comments about him not being able to play 3 games in a week as to mean he could not start, but think a 15-20 minute cameo if needed is fine.

Expect Benarous to start & Owers to make the squad, if we need an 18th man (so no Wells) my hunch is Simpson (on the bench at Luton) is more likely than Morton, Pearson implied last week that his long term future is elsewhere, so would be strange if he was involved, but obviously that’s a guess.

Vyner into midfield for me.

OLeary

Kalas     Klose     Cundy

DaSilva                                          Pring

Vyner /Williams    Scott

Weimann

Martin     Semenyo

7 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Vyner into midfield for me.

OLeary

Kalas     Klose     Cundy

DaSilva                                          Pring

Vyner /Williams    Scott

Weimann

Martin     Semenyo

He had a good game against them there last season playing DM didn't he? Got an assist I think. Horses for courses and all that, we could do worse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

He had a good game against them there last season playing DM didn't he? Got an assist I think. Horses for courses and all that, we could do worse.

Personally I think that is his position, not saying he is good enough for the Championship long term in there but given a run of games and more experience at DM you never know.

Still think he is the best medium - long passer we have.