IGNORED

Subbing a Player in the 1st half…

Davefevs

1 minute ago, Harry said:

The biggest issue with the Tanner one, was that he was hauled for NEARLY gifting West Brom a goal with a shoddy back pass, only for his replacement (Simpson), to be even worse and ACTUALLY gift them a goal with a shoddy back pass!! ?

Fair comment if he was subbed for one mistake rather than his overall performance to that point.

• Like 1

I've been impressed by the way Pearson usually (not 100% of the time) makes subs in a timely manner and how willing he is to hook off a player who is having a 'mare.

I'd love a quid every time I was sitting at a match waiting for Lee Johnson to make some obvious change. I think he thought tactical substitution was illegal before the 65th minute. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I actually thought it was unfair on Tanner when he got pulled. Until that mistake he was doing okay from memory. I think in Nigels mind he was saving him. Then we had to put up with Simpson the remainder of the game which was to our detriment.

Bar that shocking backpass, tin hat on, I actually thought Simpson did okay.  Nothing great, but he got physical, got his foot in.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

Towler subbed at half time, the other two were in the last couple of minutes

Oddly Keith Stroud was the ref that day too

image.png

I thought he was subbed before half time because he'd got the yellow card and they were targeting him down that side. It wasn't long before half time but I'm certain Pearson was asked about it as to why he didn't wait until half time. 

• Admin
2 minutes ago, The Batman said:

I thought he was subbed before half time because he'd got the yellow card and they were targeting him down that side. It wasn't long before half time but I'm certain Pearson was asked about it as to why he didn't wait until half time. 

That does sound familiar now you mention it, possible another game?

This is from the BBC site

image.png

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

That does sound familiar now you mention it, possible another game?

This is from the BBC site

image.png

Ah, those 95th minute "time-wasting" subs that actually don't waste any time as the ref stops his watch as soon as the subbed man starts to walk off and then adds the standard minute.  Sometimes I reckon they prolong games. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Towler was subbed before half time. Some idiot with too much time on his hands has just found this on the BBC website...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56134785 

image.thumb.png.4d5fd15f37f11de6b8d25161b3ec6544.png 

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Ah, those 95th minute "time-wasting" subs that actually don't waste any time as the ref stops his watch as soon as the subbed man starts to walk off and then adds the standard minute.  Sometimes I reckon they prolong games. 

A case of, so you think I'm stupid, well here's an extra thirty seconds on top for your cheek.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

They're also to kill any sort of momentum in the last 5 mins and the game being stop/start if you can make more than one

8 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

They're also to kill any sort of momentum in the last 5 mins and the game being stop/start if you can make more than one

Good point. 

In terms of actual game management, I often think running it down the other end and having a pop at goal is usually better than trying to hold it in the corner.

A) We don't have that many players good enough at close control to hold it in the corner. They lose it then a counter-attack happens with them stranded, facing the wrong way.

B) Goal kicks usually waste more time and at this juncture of the match are inevitably taken long giving you a 50/50 chance of winning the ball.

C ) You never know, you might score! 

2 minutes ago, nickolas said:

I loved the Dinning one at Luton years ago. You could tell he was pissed off, and he got a great send off from us at about the 30 minute mark when he was pulled. ?????

Hell, I remember that game, a 5-0 drubbing in pouring rain. Crikey! It was SEVENTEEN years ago....BBC SPORT | Football | League One | Luton 5-0 Bristol City