IGNORED

Renaming Ashton Gate

Red Army 75

28 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-financial-fair-play-6669606

Considering our finances would this be a idea people could get behind. 

I would absolutely hate it 

Thats fine, but if the extra cash helps us stay within FFP limits, in order to fund new signings and provide the contractual wherewithal to keep our starlets, and avoid annual relegation struggles then I'm prepared to take it.

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Thats fine, but if the extra cash helps us stay within FFP limits, in order to fund new signings and provide the contractual wherewithal to keep our starlets, and avoid annual relegation struggles then I'm prepared to take it.

I can’t argue with that. Probably just the nostalgia in me . 

JL is so full of bright marketing ideas. His earlier brainwave was rebranding City as “The Robins”! Why? Cos we wear red shirts, stoopid!!! 
Call the club and the stadium what you like - as long as it brings in the dosh! ☹️
So much for our unique “identity”!!!!

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of renaming AG but then I don't like the idea of in no particular order, one or more of a Transfer Embargo, a points deduction, an EFL Business Plan which includes limits or can interfere with new contracts for existing players to name a few- of the Embargo types the one that is the real killer is that of Professional Standing.

22 minutes ago, Rich said:

Has this been held in reserve by our owners, should we get close to breaking FFP? Can an owner sponsor his own stadium? If so, Ashton Gate Bristol Sports Stadium.

Yes, same can be done for individual stands plus indeed the HPC and perhaps anything else we can think of within reason. If any related party though it needs to be Fair Value etc. Benchmarking and so on.

I believe that Sheffield Wednesday and their tie-up with Chansiri and his related companies for sponsorship are collectively £1.5-2m per season. As a comparable it maybe similar, would help but by no means is a gamechanger.

EDIT: Accounts to July 2018 said £1.27m,  and that for a 14 month period! Probably more like between £1-1.5m per season.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

I'm not sure naming rights would make a great deal of difference.

I suppose it depends on the sponsor but a club in the championship would probably be somewhere between 200k and 1m I would think.

Maybe 100k for the HPC.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/premier-league-stadium-naming-rights-values/

Edited by bcfc01
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't like the idea of renaming AG but then I don't like the idea of in no particular order, one or more of a Transfer Embargo, a points deduction, an EFL Business Plan which includes limits or can interfere with new contracts for existing players to name a few- of the Embargo types the one that is the real killer is that of Professional Standing.

Yes, same can be done for individual stands plus indeed the HPC and perhaps anything else we can think of within reason. If any related party though it needs to be Fair Value etc. Benchmarking and so on.

I believe that Sheffield Wednesday and their tie-up with Chansiri and his sponsorship offers are collectively £1.5-2m per season. As a comparable it maybe similar, would help but by no means is a gamechanger.

If Bristol Sport sponsor the stadium, there would virtually be no limit to the amount of sponsorship.

But what would be the point ? They'd get nothing out of it commercially, although maybe a one year sponsorship to get the club out of FFP issues is feasible ?

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

If Bristol Sport sponsor the stadium, there would virtually be no limit to the amount of sponsorship.

But what would be the point ? They'd get nothing out of it commercially, although maybe a one year sponsorship to get the club out of FFP issues is feasible ?

Maybe. What would be the Upper Limit under FFP what with rules on RPTs that we could include for that purpose?

In theory I suppose we could put full whack through the Accounts but the excess above Fair Value would of course be excluded for FFP purposes. That aside, a short term fix, maybe.

I'm a little unconvinced too about Jon Lansdown and his seven other clubs claim.

Granted he has access to information that the rest of us don't, but I believe a few of those could have an asterisk by the potential fail at this stage- as in could go either way.

Feels like a) There is a bit of optimism bias and b) He is perhaps looking to stake out a position early, perhaps to increase a bit of public pressure on the EFL for some further amendments.

b) Feels a bad idea too.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Maybe. What would be the Upper Limit under FFP what with rules on RPTs that we could include for that purpose?

In theory I suppose we could put full whack through the Accounts but the excess above Fair Value would of course be excluded for FFP purposes. That aside, a short term fix, maybe.

I don't think there are any limits per se, but "fair market value" comes into play.

I suppose that means "is it commensurate with others of similar standing."

If so, then the most sponsorship expected within FFP would be around 2m, but I don't think its been tested.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I don't think there are any limits per se, but "fair market value" comes into play.

I suppose that means "is it commensurate with others of similar standing."

If so, then the most sponsorship expected within FFP would be around 2m, but I don't think its been tested.

That's what I was trying to get at, but you put it better!

Surely the Chansiri companies albeit not specifically Stadium naming rights are a precedent of sorts? Birmingham Trillion Trophy Stadium and possibly Training Ground did not translate into trillions.

2 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

It would be a bit grim hearing our ground in the media constantly referred to the “Huboo Stadium” or the “Dunder Arena”.

On the other hand, when naming the training ground, any name other than the" High Performance Centre" would be acceptable..

• Haha 1