IGNORED

Englands fixtures in the Nations league

Never to the dark side

28 minutes ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Yes but all European teams. What happens when we come up against the better South American or African sides in the tournaments. Different ball game altogether.

South American teams have the exact same problem. Both Brazil and Argentina are looking very good (the latter are on a huge unbeaten run) however it's hard to judge where they are exactly, as they haven't played any top European sides. 

Argentina are an interesting one. They've lost a lot of their big names over the last couple of years, and just have Messi left. But are looking a lot better for it. Seem to have lost some egos and are a better team for it.

• Like 1

To me the tone and nature of the criticism of Southgate is ridiculous. People are just talking bollocks.

Any criticism of anyone doing any job should have balance and some kind of empathy for the person in the role. If not it's just hysterical nonsense.

Experts like Anton Ferdinand questioning why we don't put Guehi and Tomori in the team 2 games out from the world cup. 

Er, because it's a world cup coming up and you need established defenders for that.

My criticism of Southgate was his squad selection for the June Nations Cup games. He should've left out all the players who'd been in the Euros.  They'd played solidly for 2 years after the restart and were clearly knackered and if they were to be anywhere near their best for the World cup, needed a proper rest.

Then he could've gone more with the untested squad players and we would all have seen who was capable of stepping up and who wasn't.  Look at the team Italy have now.  Different situation I know as they didn't make it to the World Cup, but they just won our group with most of their team from the Euros no longer involved.  

He's pushed himself into a corner now and so has gone with tried and tested which is all he could do except for bring Dier back who has already played in 2 tournaments.

Edited by The Bard
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, The Bard said:

To me the tone and nature of the criticism of Southgate is ridiculous. People are just talking bollocks.

Any criticism of anyone doing any job should have balance and some kind of empathy for the person in the role. If not it's just hysterical nonsense.

Experts like Anton Ferdinand questioning why we don't put Guehi and Tomori in the team 2 games out from the world cup. 

Er, because it's a world cup coming up and you need established defenders for that.

My criticism of Southgate was his squad selection for the June Nations Cup games. He should've left out all the players who'd been in the Euros.  They'd played solidly for 2 years after the restart and were clearly knackered and if they were to be anywhere near their best for the World cup, needed a proper rest.

Then he could've gone more with the untested squad players and we would all have seen who was capable of stepping up and who wasn't. He's pushed himself into a corner now and so has gone with tried and tested which is all he could do except for bring Dier back who has already played in 2 tournaments.

Just out of interest and this is not a dig at you personally but what part of winning the Serie A and playing week in week out for historically one of the biggest clubs in Europe would not make any sane person sit up and think surely this kid is now ready to step up and be given a shot in the national side? It’s quite a bewildering situation to be honest.

Southgate’s obsession with Maguire is another baffling one. The guy is clearly devoid of all confidence, you can see it on his face he looks absolutely finished mentally before a ball has even been kicked.
I could sort of understand the logic a bit more  if he was say having an absolute mare playing abroad and coming back to England and playing for the national team was a bit of a release for him and he was getting away from the spot light, but he isn’t he is playing (or not so much at the moment!) in the Prem and it’s clear for everyone to see how poor he has been for United for a sustained period now..

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bris Red said:

Just out of interest and this is not a dig at you personally but what part of winning the Serie A and playing week in week out for historically one of the biggest clubs in Europe would not make any sane person sit up and think surely this kid is now ready to step up and be given a shot in the national side? It’s quite a bewildering situation to be honest.

I could sort of understand it if Maguire was say having an absolute mare playing abroad and coming back to England and playing for the national team was a bit of a release for him and he was getting away from the spot light, but he isn’t he is playing (or not so much at the moment!) in the Prem and it’s clear for everyone to see how poor he has been for United for a sustained period now..

Well apparently he's having a shocker at the moment.  Please see my point about June.  Likes of Maguire, Stones shouldn't have been involved and we should've blooded likes of Timori. It's too late now unfortunately.

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

No-one can argue with England reaching the Euro final which kinda proves that Southgate’s cautious tactics almost paid off.

However it’s hard to forget the dreary goalless draw against Scotland………that really was like watching paint dry and post match reports were absolutely damming about the style of football.

GS as England manager has never sent his team out to play on the front foot and under him England are so …….…:sleeping: 

England only started to play when the were 0-2 down…………:facepalm:

The Scotland game was an anomaly, they were bang up for it and it was a nervy game. How many times in football have we seen the bigger team get held by the plucky underdog? 

I disagree about being boring, Germany, Ukraine and Denmark were all very exciting games to watch.

England were the better team first half last night, Germany had 20 minutes at the start of the second half and that was it really. It wasn’t great, but we didn’t only “start to play” at 2-0.

• Like 3

Sort of feel sorry for McGuire was obviously very good couple of seasons back and had never let England down & still in my eyes never let England down last night ( mistakes yes letting your country down no ) but like other posters say he looks shot to bits , got to remember he is just a lad in his twenties ( earning very good money mind ) playing football but seems to have the whole of England on his back , the bloke has feelings and is human this can’t be easy for him either . 

• Like 4

Like many on here, I feel Maguire being picked atm is a weird one. The bloke looks shot to bits.

My thoughts on Southgate is that on one hand he's done well i.e. a major final and semi final. However, in my view and in particular the Euro Final, he should've gone for it because it was plain to see that we were very quickly running out of steam in the 2nd half. I wish he'd gone for it i.e. Grealish. I know some fans would say that could've also backfired but just my view.

It is also my view that if Southgate doesn't get England to the Quarter Final at least then I think he will be sacked or mutually agree to leave at that point. That of course opens another can of worms because I can't see a stand out replacement. The FA may have other ideas which is a worry in itself!

For me the Southgate out chat is a non-starter. 

Despite an abundance of forward talent, defensively is and has been the issue for the Southgate era - he's countered that with a pragmatic team style and selection and by and large it worked. A semi-final and a final.

For that alone, he deserves and was always going to get this world cup, even if question marks over him remain.

FWIW - Either England will lift their game at the world cup playing in that same Euros style (perhaps some players even galvanised by his faith in them) or Southgate will be gone.

If the latter happens hindsight will say, perhaps Southgate's time had already run its course and did we miss an opportunity?

But on the balance of all things considered, not being swayed by the nations league friendly results, sacking Southgate now is bad timing. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Bellingham showed why he will start comfortably ahead of Kalvin-Phillips. 

If Southgate hasn’t realised we need to go and be aggressive and not go the euro 2021 way (defensive) then we have big problems . 

Bellingham - Alex Scott midfield World Cup 2026?           

• Like 1

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Two years ago is ‘different times’ ?! 

Of course. In 2018 we scored loads from set pieces - didn’t do anything like that in next tournament. Things change from year to year quickly. 

We also had Maguire in form and now we don’t which has really unsettled the defence. Game turned yesterday when we stopped playing so defensively and turned to attack. Hopefully Southgate will learn but I doubt it.

Edited by Alex_BCFC
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This is gonna be the first World Cup in my recollection where I couldn’t tell you what I think England’s best team / squad is (imho).  From 82 onwards (78 we didn’t qualify) I’ve been well into each WC we got to, but over the past 2-3 years I’ve just lost any focus for top flight and international matches.  In some respects I’m quite looking forward to just watching the games for what they are.

I think that as my interest in Bristol City increased, my knowledge of England decreased. I still watch obviously but have no real idea about the players because I don’t watch them in domestic league games

• Like 2