IGNORED

Steve Lansdown speaks to The Times

Never to the dark side

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought we needed a quality midfielder, not a £900k signing from Everton, who despite playing a few games wasn’t ready to take over from a gradually fatigued Pack and Smith.

Very true cm we was short but a striker to complement Bobby would of helped massively. When fam came back from injury and played with him we stopped playing quick nice football and we back to a boring just hoof it style of play .

36 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

No you melt I’m just saying lansdown talks a good game but doesn’t actually make any moves ( other than appointing Pearson) 

why do some of you think the lansdowns are the only thing keeping the club at this level when like I said above loads of clubs the same size and smaller than us have overtaken us . Brentford literally got promoted whilst playing in a shed , lansdown can spend all he wants on infrastructure but reality is it’s the squad that needs money and he let Johnson blow our only decent opportunity. 

The cup run season we were second on Boxing Day all we needed was a clinical striker at this level but sl wouldn’t let Johnson loan the likes of Gayle and gray instead he let him cherry pick some donkey from France . 

you’re deluded if you think we’ll get promoted under sl his ego gets in the way to much 

What a nonsense pointless reply.

You said part of the problem at BCFC was the fans themselves- I completely disagreed.

I didn't even mention Lansdown or the facilities or ego's and definitely not players so you deflected from what is the very simple point you make:

"The fans are part of the problem unlike other fan bases". You are wrong so take it back.

4 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Very true cm we was short but a striker to complement Bobby would of helped massively. When fam came back from injury and played with him we stopped playing quick nice football and we back to a boring just hoof it style of play .

We had Pato and Woodrow (who he barely used).

10 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

What a nonsense pointless reply.

You said part of the problem at BCFC was the fans themselves- I completely disagreed.

I didn't even mention Lansdown or the facilities or ego's and definitely not players so you deflected from what is the very simple point you make:

"The fans are part of the problem unlike other fan bases". You are wrong so take it back.

Nah I’m not taking it back . Even opposition fans that come on here say the same , for example that Leeds fan on here said the same a few weeks ago . Whenever we are in a bad state our fans just bend over and take it unlike other clubs who’s fans are a lot more vocal and ambitious. 

4 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Pah, the Lansdowns - what have they ever done for us...

About time they moved on and let a Saudi Arabian prince or a Russian oligarch take over. They wouldn't make the mistakes the Lansdowns have made. 

I don't agree that Lansdown is useless. But I don't agree with you that he shouldn't be criticised. 

There's a balance. I like SL, I think he has his heart in the right place, but he needs a DOF to come in and start a process which we stick too. I thought this would be the case with the pillars, then we go and flunked £5mil on Wells. At least under Pearson I can see a shift in the right direction.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Selred said:

I don't agree that Lansdown is useless. But I don't agree with you that he shouldn't be criticised. 

There's a balance. I like SL, I think he has his heart in the right place, but he needs a DOF to come in and start a process which we stick too. I thought this would be the case with the pillars, then we go and flunked £5mil on Wells. At least under Pearson I can see a shift in the right direction.

I agree. I'm not saying he shouldn't criticised. I'm saying he should also be really appreciated. He's done an incredible amount for the club. Some posters dismiss him far too readily.  

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well...I dunno about parts of that list.

Derby, Sheffield Wednesday and Sunderland are all bigger clubs than us, a lot more time in the top 2 divisions for a start!

To a lesser extent, Birmingham and Bolton also- clearly bigger historically but not in the category of the 1st 3. Ipswich have won a League title post war and a European trophy.

More modern times, Reading brought their way up to a decent extent and got ahead of the game infrastructure wise as far back as 1998. Hull also got a new ground in the early 2000's with new revenue streams and spent reasonably, see also Wigan in the Reading category. Think even Cardiff got a new ground in 2009 was it- quite big spenders in the pre FFP era, Parachute Payments aided their return I'd suggest.

Wimbledon were a one off never to be repeated, charging up the Leagues in their unique style- perfect storm springs to mind, once up they stayed up for years. At that time we were recovering from the ruins of 1982 which will have set us back years.

Otoh in 2008, if we twisted in January I think we go up. FFP didn't exist and we had a golden opportunity! Was quite telling that Stoke in 2nd did (Shawcross among others) and Hull who beat us in the playoff final, basically surged up the table, momentum- something we have failed to grasp several times from 2007/08 to 2019/20.

Barnsley I dunno how they did it? Was much more open then- Oldham unsure how they did it. Chalton had a stronger history in the top 2 divisions but happy to go back and check.

I was really making a more general point about clubs who’ve been in the PL and are now languishing.
Yes, some of them are bigger than us with a better history, which actually shows how difficult the process can be. Up for a bit, down for a lot is a danger - as we found out in the early 80s. ‘Going for it’ now comes with a big risk.

• Thanks 1