IGNORED

Nige - Nice Nous

Davefevs

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, not the Williams “Front Sweeper” position, but…

…the halftime switch of Massengo and Scott, from Scott marking Crooks, to switching him with Massengo.  Quite possibly  because Nige was worried that Scott was on a yellow (as was Crooks) that it made sense to not allow the clever Crooks to suck him into a loose challenge.

Massengo had spent a frustrating first half working his nuts off chasing their midfield around with little opportunity to get on the ball.  Scott was finding it hard against the physicality of Crooks who was coming short and then trying to spin in behind, or vice-versa.  Scott did well, but he didn’t get on the ball much either.

Second half the two started to get on the ball, Crooks getting a taste of his own medicine as Massengo  started to run him back towards his own goal. Scott breaking forward too.

Some of Scott’s defensive positioning second half belied his tender years / inexperience.

Well done Nige and also Han and Alex obviously.

Have to say, I didn't notice the switch, but I thought Scott was immense .
Massengo was good, Williams was brilliant, but Scott ? He's ridiculous for his age. Technically very good, with both feet. But with the strength and aggression that only usually come with experience. 
Not only that, but he's very cute on the ball (winning free kicks), game savvy , and has good vision. The only other young player that I can remember coming close would be Rob Newman.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

…the halftime switch of Massengo and Scott, from Scott marking Crooks, to switching him with Massengo.  Quite possibly  because Nige was worried that Scott was on a yellow (as was Crooks) that it made sense to not allow the clever Crooks to suck him into a loose challenge.

Massengo had spent a frustrating first half working his nuts off chasing their midfield around with little opportunity to get on the ball.  Scott was finding it hard against the physicality of Crooks who was coming short and then trying to spin in behind, or vice-versa.  Scott did well, but he didn’t get on the ball much either.

Second half the two started to get on the ball, Crooks getting a taste of his own medicine as Massengo  started to run him back towards his own goal. Scott breaking forward too.

Some of Scott’s defensive positioning second half belied his tender years / inexperience.

I love the way that when we lose it’s entirely the fault of the players (usually  O’Dowda and/or Vyner) and never the manager; but when we win it’s because of Nigel’s tactical genius ??.   He got lucky today because Bentley played a blinder…

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Well that positional change passed me by    :dunno:- I was too busy enjoying Semenyo terrorising the Boro defence much of the game.

Very well spotted Dave….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Scott is just remarkable.

For an 18 year old who is really best as a creative midfielder, to cover the amount of ground, put in the challenges & use the ball as sublimely as he does is incredibly impressive.

Obvious he will go to the top, but what maturity & intelligence he shows in games.

Yeh and we've just signed his mate who they say is as good, if not better! Good times hopefully ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I love the way that when we lose it’s entirely the fault of the players (usually  O’Dowda and/or Vyner) and never the manager; but when we win it’s because of Nigel’s tactical genius ??.   He got lucky today because Bentley played a blinder…

I think Bents made maybe 1 save that was exceptional, the rest would have disappointed us if he hadn't saved them. I don't think we should apologise for having a competent goalkeeper, I believe it's allowed within the rules.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Perhaps we didn't lose because the players you mention weren't playing 

13 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Scott is just remarkable.

For an 18 year old who is really best as a creative midfielder, to cover the amount of ground, put in the challenges & use the ball as sublimely as he does is incredibly impressive.

Obvious he will go to the top, but what maturity & intelligence he shows in games.

In over fifty years of watching this club, he’s the best young player we’ve had by a significant distance.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

In over fifty years of watching this club, he’s the best young player we’ve had by a significant distance.

Think Gow had a slower start (although didn’t witness it myself as just before my time) also debuting at 17, so that probably isn’t as extraordinary as it sounds. Would be fantastic if Scott reached Sir Gerry’s heights, albeit a different type of player.  As a minimum Alex needs to get himself inserted into a Half Man Half Biscuit song, before he can start to be compared properly with Sir G. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

How did he get lucky?

Genuine question. I thought we set up really well to contain a rampant Boro of late.

One of my frustrations this years is that more often than not our set has been fine for the game, just ridiculous errors costing goals.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

How did he get lucky?

Genuine question. I thought we set up really well to contain a rampant Boro of late.

One of my frustrations this years is that more often than not our set has been fine for the game, just ridiculous errors costing goals.

One of the big differences was when we made a few errors - and we did (the ball was allowed to flash across our goal a couple of times) the opposition didn’t capitalise - either because the defence was shielding the other strikers or the ball was just too far away!

Pretty much everyone played well and did what they were asked to do - it was a good team performance and for once we got just about what we deserved!

These games are much more enjoyable to watch than the drab football we’ve had to put up with over the past few seasons!

Roll on Tuesday!

7 minutes ago, 054123 said:

How did he get lucky?

Don’t bother - he’s still got a sulk on because wonderboy (Who could do no wrong ironically in his eyes ) got the sack

13 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

A bit of a disingenuous comment.

We were playing the in form team in the division. They were going to get good chances, and we had to be completely committed to get anything out the game and we were. Bentley was always going to have to play well. What next, got lucky because we have Seymeneo up front?

Long held the view that the manager is the most important asset at a Club.

Think Nige is proving that point.

We were shocking. We might have gone on little runs of wins but there was a deep, underlying malaise within the Club. These win-runs hid the fundamentals of lack of identity, strength of character and physicality. Lack of a winning mentality, of pushing to your limits and then going beyond. We were soft. Many players and staff, and CEO were great actors but didn’t deliver sustained high level performance. 

We’re transitioning. Maybe a bit of a longer transition than many hoped, but that demonstrates just how bad we were.

I just listen to Nige post- match and he has that steely determination, he’s a winner, he’s a football man. He’s not a guy who you can easily fool. 

Other managers may have come in and achieved a quick fix. The problems were so ingrained in our Club though, we would have no doubt eventually reverted to type.

Nige has come in and ripped the Club apart and is rebuilding it.  Rebuilding it in a way that has solid foundations on which we can develop sustained success. Hats off to him, few would be up to such a massive challenge. Fewer capable of delivering.

• Like 10

56 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Think Gow had a slower start (although didn’t witness it myself as just before my time) also debuting at 17, so that probably isn’t as extraordinary as it sounds. Would be fantastic if Scott reached Sir Gerry’s heights, albeit a different type of player.  As a minimum Alex needs to get himself inserted into a Half Man Half Biscuit song, before he can start to be compared properly with Sir G. 

Last gig before Covid Lock Down was HMHB at “Odyssey”!

Between songs, Trevor Tainton got mentioned in the lead singers rambles.  Tranny fans I think, like their footie. Trescothick was spotted by them in the crowd too.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Agree, re that Massengo looked back to his Preston best with shackles off. 

Really dont get the other posts having a go for a Massengo mistake towards the end, the lad was having an absolute stunning second half the two turns to shoot before were different level as was Cruyff Turn in building up to another. 

He will get a goal sooner or later, and had he done so it wouldn't be a mistake would it.. 

Been crying out for that forward sweeper for a bit and as explained else where it allows The busy bees of Massengo and Scott to get further forward  that showed massively second half. 

Only weird thing was Nige saying he was looking at subbing Semenyo secondhalf. I'm assuming it's to keep Semenyo grounded, as it didn't make sense other wise, thoughts? 

Semenyo had to do a lot of chasing around yesterday. I would be willing to bet that his running stats were the highest in the side yesterday by a distance. I would guess that's why Nige was considering the change. It's fair to have a pop at Massengo for that mistake at the end and a couple of our lads did for no other reason than we are brittle (you want them to see the psychologist so know that better than anybody) and he needs to play with that ruthless mentality that helps us see out the game that both increases the confidence and reduces the brittleness. The fact he is now showing everyone what he can do on a regular basis makes it even more frustrating that he should be so daft at the end imo...............I think Klose and Weimann felt similarly!!

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agree it made a massive difference. I noticed it straight away and thought it made our midfield looked much more balanced.

But think HNM would have got a rollicking after for a number of errors - his 1st half pass back, giving the ball away in the 2nd half and staying down then eventually getting up and half heartedly chasing back(both NP and CF looked apoplectic from the far side and telling him to get back and sort out his mistake) and then not playing the ball into the corner near the end and allowing them to have another break in search of an equaliser.

Overall I was impressed with HNM but these errors showed his lack of experience and game management.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Semenyo had to do a lot of chasing around yesterday. I would be willing to bet that his running stats were the highest in the side yesterday by a distance. I would guess that's why Nige was considering the change. It's fair to have a pop at Massengo for that mistake at the end and a couple of our lads did for no other reason than we are brittle (you want them to see the psychologist so know that better than anybody) and he needs to play with that ruthless mentality that helps us see out the game that both increases the confidence and reduces the brittleness. The fact he is now showing everyone what he can do on a regular basis makes it even more frustrating that he should be so daft at the end imo...............I think Klose and Weimann felt similarly!!

That was meant to say Massengo.

1 minute ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Nah, Pearson said he didn't think Semenyo was having a good game and was considering pulling him out of the game post match. 

Disagree with Massengo making a mistake, entirely. And I reaffirm that that may help our defence, as Ive said new age hippy crap, but didn't get the same aura when we conceded yesterday, even though near as dammit last minute, so who knows, maybe they have had some sport psyche help. 

The belief to keep winning or score more is refreshing rather than a mistake, being too cautious when clearly we as a team could have scored more yesterday, rather than panicking and holding on for dear life was a welcome change. It the old 'never give up' thing and is great to see it change, from the capitulation at Swansea. We were unplayable at times yesterday going forward and did really well at the back considering where we have been. 

I've said for a few weeks now that when it clicks we're on a different level, and if we can get that to stick then a late run for a top 10 finish isnt out of the question. 

We will batter someone playing as we do currently. 

I actually meant Massengo not Semenyo would have topped the running stats yesterday which is why that change was being considered…..

8 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Nah, Pearson said he didn't think Semenyo was having a good game and was considering pulling him out of the game post match. 

Disagree with Massengo making a mistake, entirely. And I reaffirm that that may help our defence, as Ive said new age hippy crap, but didn't get the same aura when we conceded yesterday, even though near as dammit last minute, so who knows, maybe they have had some sport psyche help. 

The belief to keep winning or score more is refreshing rather than a mistake, being too cautious when clearly we as a team could have scored more yesterday, rather than panicking and holding on for dear life was a welcome change. It the old 'never give up' thing and is great to see it change, from the capitulation at Swansea. We were unplayable at times yesterday going forward and did really well at the back considering where we have been. 

I've said for a few weeks now that when it clicks we're on a different level, and if we can get that to stick then a late run for a top 10 finish isnt out of the question. 

We will batter someone playing as we do currently. 

That’s the improvement that Nige has made, we have a genuine goal threat in us now. Go back four months and I couldn’t see that coming tbh. The defensive aspect is a longer term and more ingrained issue unfortunately although the signing of Klose is making some inroads into that. You look at their goal, we weren’t disorganised when the corner came in but two players (Kalas in particular and Cundy) might have done a bit more to stop it.

I do agree that we have one big win in us.

2 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

I look forward to the day I get thee Alex Scotts in one pack.

• Like 1