IGNORED

Support for Ukraine

HitchinRed

14 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Abramovich has announced that he's temporarily handed over control of Chelsea to the trustees of the club.

Essentially a legal move to ensure the club can't be touched in the event of sanctions or an asset freeze against him.

It's lip service, and means nothing legally - Abramovich remains the ultimate beneficial owner of Chelsea. What's surprising is that this was stated as breaking news on sky sports last night. I think most organisations are realising this today.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

It's lip service, and means nothing legally - Abramovich remains the ultimate beneficial owner of Chelsea. What's surprising is that this was stated as breaking news on sky sports last night. I think most organisations are realising this today.

What is interesting is Chelsea’s statement.

”The situation in Ukraine is horrific and devastating. Chelsea FC’s thoughts are with everyone in Ukraine. Everyone at the club is praying for peace.”

Assuming Abramovich still has control into messaging the club puts out - and I would assume that - it contains a tacit criticism of Putin and rejection of Putin’s narrative that you would not expect from a Putin-supporting oligarch.

I do wonder if Abramovich and other wealthy Russians are going to continue to support Putin after this - a war that leads to sanctions and bad PR really doesn’t seem to be in their interests.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

”The situation in Ukraine is horrific and devastating. Chelsea FC’s thoughts are with everyone in Ukraine. Everyone at the club is praying for peace.”

Assuming Abramovich still has control into messaging the club puts out - and I would assume that - it contains a tacit criticism of Putin and rejection of Putin’s narrative that you would not expect from a Putin-supporting oligarch.

I do wonder if Abramovich and other wealthy Russians are going to continue to support Putin after this - a war that leads to sanctions and bad PR really doesn’t seem to be in their interests.

Lets hope thats the case.

7 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Abramovich is an Israeli citizen..

10 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Yes, since 2018.  He actually holds three citizenships as he has also been a Portuguese citizen since 2021. But the fact he is a Russian citizen was the relevant bit to my post. 

I wasn’t aware of his Portuguese citizenship, but I am surprised he didn’t buy a Maltese one; easily done and immediate EU rights.

12 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

FIFA showing their true colours. I suppose it was asking a bit much expecting that they'd do the right thing first time around. Shame on UEFA for backing this position. Time to bin them both off.

Could really screw up the Qatar World Cup. You never know, teams might boycott it if any sort of Russian presence allowed. A fitting end to a tournament that should never have been staged there.

Although Putin removed, Russia withdraws from Ukraine, normal service resumed, would be a much better option.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Mr Chappers said:

Could really screw up the Qatar World Cup. You never know, teams might boycott it if any sort of Russian presence allowed. A fitting end to a tournament that should never have been staged there.

Although Putin removed, Russia withdraws from Ukraine, normal service resumed, would be a much better option.

I do feel for the Russian players though. I agree on Putin withdrawing but I do not think that will happen any time soon

18 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

It’s really mild criticism though, isn’t it?

Abramovich is close to Putin & got obscenely wealthy as a result.

He’s also already formulated his escape plan from any issues in the UK by his friendship with the Israeli Government (past & present) so this handing the club over stuff is just a fig leaf, utter bollocks.

It’s a disgrace he, Usmanov, Demim, the Man City & Newcastle owners were ever allowed to buy/invest in English clubs.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

He’s also already formulated his escape plan from any issues in the UK by his friendship with the Israeli Government (past & present) so this handing the club over stuff is just a fig leaf, utter bollocks.

It’s a disgrace he, Usmanov, Demim, the Man City & Newcastle owners were ever allowed to buy/invest in English clubs.

Totally agree with all that but, given the nature of Putin's regime and Abramovich's ties to him, even mild criticism is a departure from the norm.

Interestingly it's now being reported officials in Ukraine contacted Abramovich a few days ago for help in trying to broker a peace deal. I've no idea how true this is or how committed he is to doing it but the fact a Russian billionaire close to Putin is trying to be seen as against the war - and two further billionaires have criticised it - furthers a sense that even the Russian Oligarchs who have previously been loyal to Putin aren't willing to support him when he goes against their interests. It's not a lot but it is another thing that weakens the sense of total control and authority that Putin relies on to prevent any internal challenges. 

I completely agree the handing over the club is absolute bollocks and it's both disgraceful that oligarchs from autocratic regimes have been able to gain so much financial influence over English football (and the UK in general) and that we are now becoming reliant on those same oligarchs to talk Russia down from imminent destruction. 

Whatever the ultimate outcome of this, it really is all another symptom how how seriously ****** our entire society (and the wider world) is. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Quite agree. You can't expect the FA to get anything right, they are, and have been for years, almost as useless as the international bodies that govern our sport. However in an ideal world the "fit and proper person" test should continuously apply, not just at the moment that person seeks to take over a league club. Owners who are close to Putin and profiting from that relationship, should be ordered to disinvest in British football. That means Abramovitch selling their clubs, not trying to pretend proxies are running them. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Totally agree with all that but, given the nature of Putin's regime and Abramovich's ties to him, even mild criticism is a departure from the norm.

Interestingly it's now being reported officials in Ukraine contacted Abramovich a few days ago for help in trying to broker a peace deal. I've no idea how true this is or how committed he is to doing it but the fact a Russian billionaire close to Putin is trying to be seen as against the war - and two further billionaires have criticised it - furthers a sense that even the Russian Oligarchs who have previously been loyal to Putin aren't willing to support him when he goes against their interests. It's not a lot but it is another thing that weakens the sense of total control and authority that Putin relies on to prevent any internal challenges. 

Chris Bryant MP has just Tweeted that this is a lie by Abramovich’s PR team to make him appear less of a Putin follower.

Between Abramovich & Chris Bryant, I know who I would choose to believe.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

FIFA showing their true colours. I suppose it was asking a bit much expecting that they'd do the right thing first time around. Shame on UEFA for backing this position. Time to bin them both off.

About time there was a breakaway from FIFA. If they get this call wrong and leave Russia in the WC maybe that could be a catalyst for something that should have happened decades ago. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

About time there was a breakaway from FIFA. If they get this call wrong and leave Russia in the WC maybe that could be a catalyst for something that should have happened decades ago. 

I agree. I have long thought that there needs total reform. All that would take is a few of the big Football Associations going there own way (England, France, Spain, Germany, Italy) and the rest will slowly follow as the competition becomes pointless.

As for hosts of World Cup's - It should always be a Country who either has the stadiums ready, are not in breach of human rights and are a big footballing nation. Sadly, FIFA care more about lining their own pockets than having an interest in putting on a tournament that is good for the game. Their proposal of a World Cup every 2 years is also truly terrible.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Hmmm.

The World Cup play-offs are scheduled for 24 March, so just over three weeks away.

One can only hope that a peace of some sort has been achieved before then, although on what basis remains to be seen.

Nevertheless, the current situation is that, whilst FIFA, in their wisdom, have stated that Russia must play in a neutral country etc., Poland, Sweden and Czech Republic have indicated their refusal to play against them - the current penalty being a 3-0 victory for Russia and, by extension, ultimate qualification for Qatar.

I have always been against the World Cup being held in Qatar, for reasons I believe many on this forum share, and I would just love it (a la Kevin Keegan) were Russia to qualify, where it would be almost inevitable they would find themselves in a group containing one or more European Nations.

I am almost willing this to happen so that said European Nations refuse to participate resulting in the late collapse of the World Cup this year and its postponement to a new date next summer (the season when World Cups should be played) in Europe or, frankly, almost anywhere.

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

No chance that FIFA would sacrifice the revenue from the Qatar tournament to keep Russia in. They may just wriggle for long enough though to build up enough pressure in Europe for some change post- Qatar. 

Of Course, and I'm sure you are correct.

Tomorrow will be 1 March, and the days are counting - Russia have not yet been kicked out.

What exactly will happen if teams refuse to play Russia? will they get given the points? because if they are and Qualify because of it I can see a mass boycott of the world cup, there is no way on earth even FIFA would risk that, as far as I would bet it would be on Russia being excluded from this and any future tournaments inc the Euros.

56 minutes ago, pillred said:

What exactly will happen if teams refuse to play Russia? will they get given the points? because if they are and Qualify because of it I can see a mass boycott of the world cup, there is no way on earth even FIFA would risk that, as far as I would bet it would be on Russia being excluded from this and any future tournaments inc the Euros.

Looks like Russia are about to be suspended by FIFA, so they are out of the World Cup if so.

• Like 3

FIFA and UEFA has now banned the Russian national team and Russian clubs from all international competitions. As a result Poland will now play the winners of Sweden/Czech Republic for place at the World Cup and Spartak Moscow have been kicked out of the Europa League. The right decision but I have mild sympathy for Spartak who, unlike CSKA, Torpedo and Dynamo, are independent of Russian political interference. 

UEFA has also finished its sponsorship deals with Gazprom with immediate effect. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1