IGNORED

FBC Podcast : Forest [A] ... it's a thumbs down from us

headhunter

Ian, Mark & DaveP review the matchday action & more in our latest episode:

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/city-felled-by-the-trees/  [also on Spotify, Google & Apple Podcasts]

2 points from the past 33 available on the road - it isn't great is it?

City were back to their sad, bad old ways against Steve Cooper's side.

Goal's either side of half-time secured victory for Forest who would have had a hatful were it not for Dan Bentley's heroics between the sticks.

Do we have ANY right to expect more? we discuss this including trying to fathom Nigel's abhorrence for the loan system - Spence, Davies & Garner are all loanees and were highly influential in Forest's win.

Assume we sell HNM & Scott for a combined £20M in the summer - we debate our confidence in Nigel to spend wisely say half that sum in the transfer window to fashion a side in his playing style image [whatever that is?!]

We remain supportive of Nigel but more performances like that and it will wear a bit thin despite the "excuses" which seem to be accepted by the majority of the supporter base.

Ian continues his more mellow style and if you disagree with him shout out on this thread!!

Btw, who are the Trees? - a Derby County friend informed me long ago that this is the affectionate name they've given their near neighbours hence the title of this episode; also who's that on the trumpet in the opening music?!!!

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Pearson’s lack of loans is easy to understand in my opinion. He is trying to build a long term side and squad. There is no point in doing that with loan players who won’t be here next season.  If we had a better squad and were pushing for play offs then I think he would get a loan or two to make us stronger and hopefully get us over the line.  There was no point this season in getting a loan or two and finish 12th instead of 16th.  What’s the point ?  Waste of money and resources.  The only benefit would be to make the fans feel a bit better. It’s a long term strategy and loans by definition are short term 

'Its a long term strategy' doesn't stand up to scrutiny if you consider the signings of Simpson and King. Please explain.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

'Its a long term strategy' doesn't stand up to scrutiny if you consider the signings of Simpson and King. Please explain.

It does if you care to think about what they are bringing and why they were signed.  They are experienced guys that Pearson knows who he clearly thinks will aid the dressing room and help install a long term culture.  Loans are usually young players and more than likely wouldn’t be players that Pearson knows and trusts.  

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It does if you care to think about what they are bringing and why they were signed.  They are experienced guys that Pearson knows who he clearly thinks will aid the dressing room and help install a long term culture.  Loans are usually young players and more than likely wouldn’t be players that Pearson knows and trusts.  

Buying Alexa for aiding the dressing room would have been a lot cheaper. 

• Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

You need to have senior pros to bring on the kids, this was mentioned when both of these guys got signed. Simpson has not come off and King is injured again. Either way it is very clear Several of our u21 group are coming along well along side the likes of Martin/Weimann etc  

The medium/long term strategy is obviously clear, unfortunately those two will almost certainly not feature for us again

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Pearson’s lack of loans is easy to understand in my opinion. He is trying to build a long term side and squad. There is no point in doing that with loan players who won’t be here next season.  If we had a better squad and were pushing for play offs then I think he would get a loan or two to make us stronger and hopefully get us over the line.  There was no point this season in getting a loan or two and finish 12th instead of 16th.  What’s the point ?  Waste of money and resources.  The only benefit would be to make the fans feel a bit better. It’s a long term strategy and loans by definition are short term 

With his insistence in playing a big man up front and flogging said player to death, i.e. Martin would it not have made sense to get someone like Davies to ease the burden. The alternative is to have a plan B that utilises the players you do have in  different formation - we've never tried Weimann, Wells and a resurgent Semenyo.

What's so wrong with that - make the fans feel a bit better; we were never going to keep Abraham but we all enjoyed his time here and his goals kept us up when in different circumstances they might have put us in the play offs

28 minutes ago, headhunter said:

With his insistence in playing a big man up front and flogging said player to death, i.e. Martin would it not have made sense to get someone like Davies to ease the burden. The alternative is to have a plan B that utilises the players you do have in  different formation - we've never tried Weimann, Wells and a resurgent Semenyo.

What's so wrong with that - make the fans feel a bit better; we were never going to keep Abraham but we all enjoyed his time here and his goals kept us up when in different circumstances they might have put us in the play offs

We don’t have much money. I suggest we don’t spend what little we have on loans to make you feel good 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

So, is the dressing room where Simpson spends all his time. Cos there’s precious little evidence of him anywhere else…….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

Do we have ANY right to expect more? we discuss this including trying to fathom Nigel's abhorrence for the loan system - Spence, Davies & Garner are all loanees and were highly influential in Forest's win.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

What’s the point ?  Waste of money and resources.  The only benefit would be to make the fans feel a bit better. It’s a long term strategy and loans by definition are short term 

Thanks…Which is pretty much what Nige has said.

There is no “abhorrence” to loans, just him / RG trying to run to a budget, not break FFP and build something that is “ours”.

Go back a few years, we loaned 3 Chelsea players at high cost, then had to buy them to “stand still”.

Why isn’t the rhetoric - “haven’t we done well to be safe without having to resort to loans which would constrain next season’s budget”.

But we want it all and we want it now….sod the financial repercussions of choosing that option!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 3

3 hours ago, headhunter said:

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/city-felled-by-the-trees/  [also on Spotify, Google & Apple Podcasts]

Goal's either side of half-time secured victory for Forest who would have had a hatful were it not for Dan Bentley's heroics between the sticks.

Assume we sell HNM & Scott for a combined £20M in the summer - we debate our confidence in Nigel to spend wisely say half that sum in the transfer window to fashion a side in his playing style image [whatever that is?!]

We remain supportive of Nigel but more performances like that and it will wear a bit thin despite the "excuses" which seem to be accepted by the majority of the supporter base.

Ian continues his more mellow style and if you disagree with him shout out on this thread!!

Btw, who are the Trees? - a Derby County friend informed me long ago that this is the affectionate name they've given their near neighbours hence the title of this episode; also who's that on the trumpet in the opening music?!!!

Just to help you guys out, Forest signed a player in January for £2.2m. We can't afford £2.20 for a player at the moment. 

That player was probably a minimum £4m investment inc wages.

This will go someway to explaining why we lost to Nottingham Forest today. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

We’ve published our accounts and SL won’t spend; Forest haven’t published their accounts (guess why) and have pushed the boat out in January (join the dots). If SL won’t sanction loans, how’s that on a manager who’s loaned Kane and Lingard in the past? 

In no way are the positions of the respective clubs comparable or do we have a divine right to beat any team let alone Forest. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just to help you guys out, Forest signed a player in January for £2.2m. We can't afford £2.20 for a player at the moment. 

That player was probably a minimum £4m investment inc wages.

This will go someway to explaining why we lost to Nottingham Forest today. 

And sold a player to their owner’s club who had he gone anywhere else would’ve been a big financial loss!

3 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

I’m sure in your world, you’ve worked on strategic IT projects. Some of those strategies incur technical debt, stuff you have to spend to transition to the end-game.  Sometimes you have “waste money” to fix an obsolete system short term, because the longer-term system isn’t ready / available yet.  In our world that was Simpson and Tanner.

In an ideal world it would be a nice straight line.  But it doesn’t work like that in the real world (football or not).

I find it staggering at times how quick we jump on a defeat and ignore rational thought….or the explanation of why things are being done a certain way.

Imagine working in construction on a 3 year build, you demolish the existing site, start laying the foundations and 6 months in the prospective owner asks for the keys and says he wants to move in NOW.  What would you say?

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 4
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

Because for every Tammy Abraham, there’s an Ike Ugbo - go and and ask Barnsley, or closer to home, a Ryan Kent, or a Cauley Woodrow, or a Luis Diony, or a Kasey Palmer, or a Steven Sessegnon or a Alfie Mawson.

We are trying to be prudent.  Yes, we stuffed up with Danny Simpson, but we also didn’t lumber ourselves long-term either.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

8 hours ago, headhunter said:

Assume we sell HNM & Scott for a combined £20M in the summer - we debate our confidence in Nigel to spend wisely say half that sum in the transfer window to fashion a side in his playing style image [whatever that is?!

Nothing wrong with a loan so long as its considered & steadies the ship - blinkered stubbornness is a flaw.

Should one of our young un's be sold in the summer,,which is very likely,,I'd be looking at the lad from Newcastle - Eliot Anderson,,currently on loan with the Horfield Nomads.

Attacking Midfielder,,playing extremely well,,real potential & whom Newcastle will likely be looking for a Championship loan next season.

Horses for courses.

And as a side note,,boy,wouldn't our friends at the tented village love it..natural progression???

Edited by Son of Fred

5 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

In terms of back to drawing board. 

Confidence looked shot, and trying hard to follow plans and dropping goals lots isnt going to be helpful 

Though we beat Middlesbrough, we've been absolutely battered defensively recently. 

Ao a tactical rethink at the back is likely required as well as looking at whay we do with balls coming in and then cleared out. 

Difficult werk then. 

Just watched some short highlights. OMG we are so inconsistent. We will stay up this season however not sure what next season will bring us. We can not keep going on like this. I feel for the young lads and girls wearing their purple City away shirts yesterday and how dissapointed they must feel now. It is always a great following to away matches and yet we see more dissapointment on to many occasions.

There has to be something deep down that NP yet can not still manage at the club. It could be his financial restraints or simply some players still not performing. I reckon Nige will not be with us by end of this season either from his own decision or a decision by the board.

Defensively always comes up as a point of concern but at the end of the day it all depends on the 11 players on the pitch. Sadly I do not think we will reach the Prem in my life time. Turning sixty this year I do not think their will be any happy endings for me ?

1 hour ago, City oz said:

. I reckon Nige will not be with us by end of this season either from his own decision or a decision by the board.

Defensively always comes up as a point of concern but at the end of the day it all depends on the 11 players on the pitch. Sadly I do not think we will reach the Prem in my life time. Turning sixty this year I do not think their will be any happy endings for me ?

Nige leaving of his own volition is one thing...

For him to be fired by the clowns that run this club is another entirely...

As regards our respective ages Oz,,as I myself am 58 I do hope your wrong!!!

4 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Nige leaving of his own volition is one thing...

For him to be fired by the clowns that run this club is another entirely...

As regards our respective ages Oz,,as I myself am 58 I do hope your wrong!!!

Your first sentence unfortunately maybe the correct one. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Just when I thought you cannot create an even worse podcast than your previous junk.  By far the biggest waste of listening time . Awful drivel . Listen to the other podcasts this lot is just amateur ill informed  nonsense. Never will I waste another minute of my life with such dross . Terrible in extreme .

Thank you for your support!!!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The biggest issue I have with this podcast is the extremity in reactions. Play well and get a result then the world is good. Lose or play badly then the knives come out. Not sure how you can acknowledge progress one week and whilst it was shocking yesterday, this forum needs consistency (just like the team).  It’s a better listen if Neil or Fevs are on as both more balanced.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Shuffle said:

The biggest issue I have with this podcast is the extremity in reactions. Play well and get a result then the world is good. Lose or play badly then the knives come out. Not sure how you can acknowledge progress one week and whilst it was shocking yesterday, this forum needs consistency (just like the team).  It’s a better listen if Neil or Fevs are on as both more balanced.

I highlighted Bentley's great performance and Cundy's efforts to snuff out Davis in the second half, as well as the emergence of Scott this season and his excellent last ditch defending.

Our main problem yesterday was a lack of sharpness throughout the team, with Williams' fitness exposed. We can only account for the evidence of our own eyes.

• Like 1