IGNORED

caraboo cup winners £200,000,FA Cup winners 3.4 million pounds

Never to the dark side

2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Thats the money the two winning teams get from the two competitions,

That’s quite a gulf in prize money, especially as some PL stars can earn £200k a week. Part of reason that certain bigger PL clubs don’t take the League Cup too seriously particularly in the early rounds.

The League cup (or whoever is sponsoring it) is the third trophy in terms of prestige behind the league title and the FA cup. The Champions League is the one that top PL clubs want to win.

• Like 1

If we're honest 200k or 3.4m they are both tiny amount of cash to you top premiere league teams.  I think the reason most of the top teams field weakened squads is fixture congestion with lots of them competing in European cups as well.  They cut their losses on the domestic cups if they think it will.benifit them in the league in Europe.    That's the Europa prize money minus the tv revenue, you see why the domestic cups get a poor priority.

Stage Prize Money

Group stage participation

€3.63million

Group stage win

€630k

Group stage draw

€210k

Group stage winners

€1.1million

Group stage runners up

€550k

Last 32 knockout round participation

€500k

Last 16 knockout round participation

€1.2million

Quarter final participation

€1.8million

Semi final participation

€2.8million

Final participation

€4.6million

Winners

€8.6million

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As staying in the Premier League is worth upwards of £100 million to a team, you can equally argue that the FA Cup is worth nothing to the winning team (unless they happen to be outside the PL).

Pretty sure cup winners got diddly squat in my day, and no one gave a flying you know what. It's about the glory.

• Like 1

I’ve got mixed feelings about it - on the  one hand it can make money for lower league FC (and especially at the mo that isn’t to be sniffed at). In addition there is that chance of a big game e.g Us v Man U. However, as has been said the big teams rarely put strong teams out early on, and like the FA Cup the big teams now seem win it more often than not. Ultimately I wouldn’t get rid of it but I have to say my interest dwindled years ago.

47 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

I’ve got mixed feelings about it - on the  one hand it can make money for lower league FC (and especially at the mo that isn’t to be sniffed at). In addition there is that chance of a big game e.g Us v Man U. However, as has been said the big teams rarely put strong teams out early on, and like the FA Cup the big teams now seem win it more often than not. Ultimately I wouldn’t get rid of it but I have to say my interest dwindled years ago.

It's pretty sad isn't it. I'm old enough to remember when facup saturday meant getting up at 7am and getting the mirror or the sun (or both) for their facup specials and watching blanket cup themed coverage all morning leading up to the finale of the season.

• Like 6