IGNORED

400 is approx 1.3% of 30,000

maxjak

What is this ludicrous Bristol Live survey that has emerged?   77% of 400 supporters apparently think NP is doing a good job?  Well as a  modest assessment, I would estimate there are at least 30,000 City fans out there in Robins land, so 400 is around 1.3% of that total?   Sorry what is this ?  An attempt at propaganda?   Bristol live has found 400 fans as a sample..........well I am certain I could track down 400 fans (Given time...Ha!) who would have the opposite opinion.  An absolutely pointless exercise by Bristol Live, that is worthy of a lame Tabloid? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Hmmm 1
  • Robin 1

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

What is this ludicrous Bristol Live survey that has emerged?   77% of 400 supporters apparently think NP is doing a good job?  Well as a  modest assessment, I would estimate there are at least 30,000 City fans out there in Robins land, so 400 is around 1.3% of that total?   Sorry what is this ?  An attempt at propaganda?   Bristol live has found 400 fans as a sample..........well I am certain I could track down 400 fans (Given time...Ha!) who would have the opposite opinion.  An absolutely pointless exercise by Bristol Live, that is worthy of a lame Tabloid? 

it's like 8 out of 10 owners said their cats prefer it…they had to change it to add "who expressed a preference" 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, maxjak said:

It said 400 is a good number to provide a representative sample….nothing more than that.  That’s what samples are!  That’s all the article claimed, it actually said 77% of the 400….never claimed 77% of all fans.

image.thumb.png.0b2a575a23202f409ccb85182a429b3a.png

???

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

It said 400 is a good number to provide a representative sample….nothing more than that.  That’s what samples are!  That’s all the article claimed, it actually said 77% of the 400….never claimed 77% of all fans.

image.thumb.png.0b2a575a23202f409ccb85182a429b3a.png

???

I fully appreciate that it is a sample..........but a very tenuous sample of people who can be bothered to log on to Bristol Live?  Do you not think that the Headline "Nigel Pearson given Major Backing by Bristoll City Fans", is just a tad misleading?   IMHO........ Sorry I find it to be complete bollocks, that 1.3% is representative,  not even taking into account that  the sample are just Bristol Live subscribers?      

• Like 1

You know surveys are done on a sample size right? They don’t ask everyone, nor do they go looking for people to give certain answers. 

Maybe start your own poll and see how representative the outcome is

Edited by Dredd
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I fully appreciate that it is a sample..........but a very tenuous sample of people who can be bothered to log on to Bristol Live?  Do you not think that the Headline "Nigel Pearson given Major Backing by Bristoll City Fans", is just a tad misleading?   IMHO........ Sorry I find it to be complete bollocks, that 1.3% is representative,  not even taking into account that  the sample are just Bristol Live subscribers?      

It’s an online newspaper, it’s after clicks….headlines are headlines.  I put that filter over it when I read it.  Not saying everyone should do as i do, far from it…but I kinda ignored the headline and read the words inside and made my judgement on that.

As an overall article I wasn’t that fussed about it, I certainly didn’t feel that I’d lay my hat on some of the responses, especially those that gave Nige 10/10…maybe that was Mrs Nige’s response ???

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s the right time to consider letting NP go but, for me, his impact has been underwhelming and masked by point deductions. 
If the current league table was based on footballing performance alone (not financial irregularities) we’d be 5 points above the drop zone with the team third bottom having a game in hand over us. I think that 77% would be significantly lower and in reality we’d have been battling relegation all season. 
Next season has to tangibly improve as his 12 month average is relegation form and I’m not convinced he’s had more change/disruption than most managers at this level. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I don’t think it’s the right time to consider letting NP go but, for me, his impact has been underwhelming and masked by point deductions. 
If the current league table was based on footballing performance alone (not financial irregularities) we’d be 5 points above the drop zone with the team third bottom having a game in hand over us. I think that 77% would be significantly lower and in reality we’d have been battling relegation all season. 
Next season has to tangibly improve as his 12 month average is relegation form and I’m not convinced he’s had more change/disruption than most managers at this level. 

Maybe, but we might also have addressed some squad issues in January as a result.

• Like 2

Of course i realise............i just believe that the target sample is not representative IMHO.   It is the headline "Nigel Pearson given Major Backing" that i take issue with.  308 people is NOT Major Backing?   I am not biased against NP, I just would like it to be truthful, and a reflection of what the hard core support truly believe?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

Of course i realise............i just believe that the target sample is not representative IMHO.   It is the headline "Nigel Pearson given Major Backing" that i take issue with.  308 people is NOT Major Backing?   I am not biased against NP, I just would like it to be truthful, and a reflection of what the hard core support truly believe?

At AG with somewhere between 12k-14k inside the ground on match day, I don’t really hear any discontent from the fans.  I think most people are “content”.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

At AG with somewhere between 12k-14k inside the ground on match day, I don’t really hear any discontent from the fans.  I think most people are “content”.

Is "Content" ...........Major Backing?   I believe that due to the financial mess concocted by Ashton, and SL's taking his eye off the ball, most supporters realise that they have to be pragmatic, and put up with the current situation, as they have no choice?   That is a long way from Major backing?.  IMHO NP should never have been  given a 3 year contract, but perhaps SL was told by him, 3 years or forget it?   I would give NP, an  arbitary figure  of 6/10 for what he has achieved so far...........average.

• Like 1

No survey is completely accurate, but you can see from this forum alone that most fans are happy with giving Pearson more time to develop the team further.

The same arguments of sample size could be made over the number of active Otib contributors, but the fact is, we as a group do represent a wide cross-section of fans: people who were going to City games in 1956 and people who started supporting in the 2000s; people with strong and differing opinions on previous managers; strong views about certain players; all sorts of different jobs, family circumstances, lifestyles, political and other beliefs.

The only thing that binds Otibbers together is we're passionate enough about Bristol City to spend time on a forum discussing the club. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Have you ever carried out surveys? That sample, if done properly, will give a margin for error of around 4.5 percent. The problem isn’t the sample size, it’s more the demographic. Either way, it’s not actually too bad for an online news poll.  

Edited by James54De

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Nurse!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Is "Content" ...........Major Backing?   I believe that due to the financial mess concocted by Ashton, and SL's taking his eye off the ball, most supporters realise that they have to be pragmatic, and put up with the current situation, as they have no choice?   That is a long way from Major backing?.  IMHO NP should never have been  given a 3 year contract, but perhaps SL was told by him, 3 years or forget it?   I would give NP, an  arbitary figure  of 6/10 for what he has achieved so far...........average.

I gave him 7….overall.  Re the on-the-pitch stuff, just about gets a 6.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, James54De said:

Have you ever carried out surveys? That sample, if done properly, will give a margin for error of around 4.5 percent. The problem isn’t the sample size, it’s more the demographic. Either way, it’s not actually too bad for an online news poll.  

Its random sampling of a population that's important. The population in this case being some defined measure "Bistol City supporters".  This could be a bit arbitrary. Let's say I define the population as anybody (a) over the age of 18 (because it might become a legal minefield to include minors), (b) with a Bristol City Season Card or Membership, (c) who has attended a minimum of 40% of home games this season up to and including the Coventry game.

For argument we'll say this gives a population size of 10,000.

If I want to be 95% certain of the results of any questions I ask to within a margin of error of 5% (i.e. +/- 5%), then I'll need a random sample size of 370.

If your sample is self selecting or otherwise not random then all bets are off.

Edited by Sleepy1968

50 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

People who think Bristol Live is a site worth visiting?

Definitely not a demographic worth paying much attention to based off that ;) 

I’m amazed there are 400 Bristolians who could actually be bothered to navigate through the mess that is Bristol Live to complete the survey!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Its random sampling of a population that's important. The population in this case being some defined measure "Bistol City supporters".  This could be a bit arbitrary. Let's say I define the population as anybody (a) over the age of 18 (because it might become a legal minefield to include minors), (b) with a Bristol City Season Card or Membership, (c) who has attended a minimum of 40% of home games this season up to and including the Coventry game.

For argument we'll say this gives a population size of 10,000.

If I want to be 95% certain of the results of any questions I ask to within a margin of error of 5% (i.e. +/- 5%), then I'll need a random sample size of 370.

If your sample is self selecting or otherwise not random then all bets are off.

Surely you need a bit of binomial theorem? ???

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Which is ?

What do the hardcore support truly believe ?

I take it you have consulted them all ?

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Aye. Same here. We all know Pearson's track record, but that has been achieved in different circumstances with different staff and a different budget. 

So, in a characteristic Nigel phrase, 'it is what it is'.  After becoming rather complacent about City winning more than they lose, it's tough to take two seasons where we're miles off the pace of the top clubs. 

But you'd be holding up Lord Nelson's telescope if you couldn't see signs of green shoots at the club, in particular the development of young talent here. 

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don't know about you but even given the problems he has had to face I would still have expected a bit more from him, we have had some very unwelcome stats during his tenure. I think we have (well most) of us given him the benefit of the doubt up till now, will be interesting to see what pans out during the summer as I am expecting a fair few changes to playing personnel then we can judge him more fairly the excuses can only last for so long a lot of clubs have had the same problems I look at Luton and how they have fared and think why not us? 

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

it's like 8 out of 10 owners said their cats prefer it…they had to change it to add "who expressed a preference" 

They're asking Cats if they prefer Pearson ????

Worlds gone Mad I tell thee :no:

• Haha 2