IGNORED

Good inciteful article.

Waconda

42 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Especially the last couple of paragraphs.

It all leads to us selling at least two of Bentley, HNM, Scott and Semenyo by the looks of it.

Nigel Pearson's transfer claims and possible signs of a cultural divide emerging at Bristol City - Bristol Live (bristolpost.co.uk)

HNM for sure....

Scott is the only one of that group I'd be desperate to cling to.

• Like 2

As usual, an excellent article from James Piercy.

Think some of the proof in the pudding will be how the team perform (and the results fair too) over the coming weeks with a few of players back from injury and once they are fully up to speed.  James wasn’t on Saturday, or certainly didn’t look sharp.  Was Massengo on the bench because he needed a rest, had his form just tipped over the edge in the last game or so?

With Atkinson back, Tanner in the coming weeks hopefully, we may get a good opportunity to assess better.

I suspect summer plans are already well in motion….but at this stage predicting a tough summer.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think some of the proof in the pudding will be how the team perform (and the results fair too) over the coming weeks with a few of players back from injury and once they are fully up to speed.  James wasn’t on Saturday, or certainly didn’t look sharp.  Was Massengo on the bench because he needed a rest, had his form just tipped over the edge in the last game or so?

With Atkinson back, Tanner in the coming weeks hopefully, we may get a good opportunity to assess better.

I suspect summer plans are already well in motion….but at this stage predicting a tough summer.

Yep, my only caveat to the article would be that as Pearson, Gould & the recruitment set up know all of this, we should be planning now with realistic, affordable targets.

I did have a wry smile at NP’s comment that we “don’t have a defensive midfielder on our books” following my suggestion of Pack, who seems increasingly to fit the bill to me, plus as you know the player I mentioned to you that I think would be suitable to solve the RB issue is probably available & definitely is affordable.

Coventry, Luton, Millwall & Preston all operate within similar recruitment constraints, I appreciate that they don’t have the drag of Palmer or Wells on their wage bill, but whilst making every effort to shift them, we need to have a plan as to how we conduct our transfer business if we can’t.

Final point, even with Simpson gone there are still a few others who are out of contract this summer, so some room to make changes whatever happens.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

HNM for sure....

Scott is the only one of that group I'd be desperate to cling to.

We’re clearly going to lose players this summer and to me Semenyo is the one I’d like to see stay at AG. He’s improving all the time and as a striker his value will just increase. He’s the most value asset we have  imv.

Pring is another who I’d like see next season. Like AS he’s getting better and better with his value increasing. Another season in the Championship would not only benefit him but City as well.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Massive issue now with attracting players we need within a tight budget.

Club seen as a mess in football circles most probably, the media coverage of our financial peril (rightly or wrongly)  coupled with the results and table position are not going to put us very far up the preferred destinations of many players or agents (not good ones anyway).

Can't see many decent Championship players looking to join another probable season of flirting with relegation, when there will plenty of better offers from others.

We need to be careful of not falling into the trap of swapping perceived "dead wood" for actual "dead wood" - Simpson for example.

All this leads me to think we will have to sell at least two of our "prized" assets, giving NP an actual real budget to work with.

Edited by VT05763

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

To be honest I'm predicting a tough Spring!

That isn't a veiled dig at NP either as he still has my full support. Just want us to get safe asap and then hope the powers that be have not only a plan but a plan that they are able to execute.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Surely if we want to rebuild then we need to sell two. One to give us a buffer in FFP figures, and one to provide some spending money?

Lot's depends on the situation with Wells, Palmer and possibly Kalas. Massive amounts of wages tied up with those 3, and if a couple were to leave, we have a bit more wiggle room.

The dream scenario is for a couple (preferably the first 2) of those to go, and get some sell on money from the likes of Webster/Brownhill/Kelly. Then we'll have a better chance of hanging on to our promising youngsters, though if I'm honest, I don't think we have a hope in hell of keeping Scott. Just hope we can negotiate a season long loan as part of the transfer. The boy is destined for big things.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Lot's depends on the situation with Wells, Palmer and possibly Kalas. Massive amounts of wages tied up with those 3, and if a couple were to leave, we have a bit more wiggle room.

The dream scenario is for a couple (preferably the first 2) of those to go, and get some sell on money from the likes of Webster/Brownhill/Kelly. Then we'll have a better chance of hanging on to our promising youngsters, though if I'm honest, I don't think we have a hope in hell of keeping Scott. Just hope we can negotiate a season long loan as part of the transfer. The boy is destined for big things.

There will hopefully be opportunities to loan Wells and Palmer out for the season at least with us paying around half their wages but even that would save £10k a week each !

Maybe a bit controversial. But I'm kinda predicting us to come out of the summer window with a smaller possibly weaker squad. I think we're in for a rough ride. 

I think it's clear to see we've got youth talent playing well at this level that'll attract interest. They'll go if enough is offered. I don't have much faith in this club's ability to replace them well enough. 

However, if we can hold onto those bright shines of light players we have I will feel more optimistic. 

Edited by Sturny
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

Maybe a bit controversial. But I'm kinda predicting us to come out of the summer window with a smaller possibly weaker squad. 

I think it's clear to see we've got youth talent playing well at this level that'll attract interest. They'll go if enough is offered. I don't have much faith in this club ability to replace them well enough. 

However, if we can hold onto those bright shines of light players we have I will feel more optimistic. 

That's my worry. All well and good looking to cash in on the youngsters and build a squad but I've got very little faith in us spending that money wisely.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KegCity said:

Think Bentley, Kalas and Massengo will go in the summer. If Webster or Kelly move as well and we can shift Wells/Palmer we're looking ok.

It is actually quite possible that a few things fall our way in the Summer and we end up bringing in £50 million in fees, sell ons and cut costs.

Fingers crossed.

3 minutes ago, KegCity said:

That's my worry. All well and good looking to cash in on the youngsters and build a squad but I've got very little faith in us spending that money wisely.

Need someone in like Steve Walsh badly, relying on the "old boys network" leads to the signing of deadwood, mostly.