IGNORED

Cundy

Silvio Dante

50 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Interesting to see what we do about Cundy's contract situation. I noted Pearson's comment that he likes to defend and is his type of player. 

I think we'll see him get an extension or new contract. Depends somewhat on the next few games, but if he plays 300 or so decent minutes over the next 9 games I think Pearson will be happy to keep him.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2022 at 22:50, GrahamC said:

Think he’s 6ft 2 but about as wide! Whereas Klose who is 6ft 4 is far less broad.

When I saw him at Bath City, I remarked to my mate that if he doesn't make it in football, there are plenty of clubs who'd like him to work the door. He was intimidating. A real unit.

I'd have said he was a bit taller than me. About 6' 4" perhaps. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Is Baker OOC in the summer? Assuming Klose stays, that's him, Kalas, Cundy...I would assume Vyner and Moore will move on. Towler I think needs a loan to L1.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No, not til summer 2023.

Regardless of the contact situation I think it’s fair to assume that Baker will never play again. Even if he wanted to I can’t imagine City, or any other club, playing him as the risk of an even more serious head injury is too great. In any form of employment, employers have a duty of care to their employees and mustn’t do anything to endanger their health. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Regardless of the contact situation I think it’s fair to assume that Baker will never play again. Even if he wanted to I can’t imagine City, or any other club, playing him as the risk of an even more serious head injury is too great. In any form of employment, employers have a duty of care to their employees and mustn’t do anything to endanger their health. 

Yes, 100%. Sorry, my post probably sounded callous, but I was thinking in economic terms.

59 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I wonder if he played with some sort of protective headgear, the risk might be mitigated? Just a thought, as you do see it elsewhere.  Seems quite common in MLS. 

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Standing him next to Jay in that lineup is just taking the piss, isn't it?

I’m sure Joe Morrell and Keifer Moore deliberately stand next to each other at Wales games just to confuse the cameraman during National Anthems!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bodiesaffer said:

If Cundy can play consistently like he did Saturday, then why not  move Kalas to right back.  

I think we need a right wing back if we play a back three of Cundy, Klose and Atkinson.

Don't see Kalas as a wing back. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Cundy….pretty tall.

1FF00F6A-D188-43AB-BFD3-EEAB15F545AE.thumb.jpeg.a9e52d81f37449da106f695431b66109.jpeg

Thanks Dave.

It was interesting to me that when NP went off at a massive tangent in the pre match press conference in response to the question about a need for a new RB/RWB, he mentioned that for him the first requisite was dominant central defenders.

I can’t think of a taller back 3 that we have ever fielded than the one at Blackburn, Atkinson & Klose are both 6ft 4 & on that evidence Cundy might well be even taller.

I’m certainly not getting carried away based on just one game but maybe the answer to that question is already with us?

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Thanks Dave.

It was interesting to me that when NP went off at a massive tangent in the pre match press conference in response to the question about a need for a new RB/RWB, he mentioned that for him the first requisite was dominant central defenders.

I can’t think of a taller back 3 that we have ever fielded than the one at Blackburn, Atkinson & Klose are both 6ft 4 & on that evidence Cundy might well be even taller.

I’m certainly not getting carried away based on just one game but maybe the answer to that question is already with us?

Hopefully Cundy is going to continue to do “well” and secure a new deal.  As fans we need to see more of him before saying “must extend his contract”.  Even Pearson will want to see more in terms of first team action, but he’s generally been enthusiastic about Robbie in interviews.  Would be a big bonus to summer recruitment plans if one of the CBs is already here.  If Klose does enough too, then we have Klose, Atkinson and Cundy…plus Pring if we need a LCB.

As you say three 6’4” CBs, all relatively comfy on the ball too is, all who attack the ball aerially is encouraging.

We will have to watch this space re Kalas with one year left.

I think Vyner and Moore will leave (loan or perm).

Baker will probably retire….speculation.

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

But we still gifted a Blackburn player a free header from 6 yards at a set piece (ok, it was Williams who lost his man but Atkinson should still have dealt with it)!!  On any other day that's 1-0 down and a different game. 

We are still finding ways not to do the basics right. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Hopefully Cundy is going to continue to do “well” and secure a new deal.  As fans we need to see more of him before saying “must extend his contract”.  Even Pearson will want to see more in terms of first team action, but he’s generally been enthusiastic about Robbie in interviews.  Would be a big bonus to summer recruitment plans if one of the CBs is already here.  If Klose does enough too, then we have Klose, Atkinson and Cundy…plus Pring if we need a LCB.

As you say three 6’4” CBs, all relatively comfy on the ball too is, all who attack the ball aerially is encouraging.

We will have to watch this space re Kalas with one year left.

I think Vyner and Moore will leave (loan or perm).

Baker will probably retire….speculation.

Don’t disagree with a word of that, though Vyner & Moore will only go of course if someone wants them & we can persuade them to do so, though looking at his numerous loans really doubt that will be an issue with Moore.

Kalas’ situation will all come out in the wash but we know that the best laid plans etc, mean we still need more squad options especially if Pearson chooses to persevere with a back 3.

The other side of this argument is that Cundy has so far started 1 Championship game, Atkinson just 20 & Klose will be 34 in May & has had his share of injuries, so banking on them being the first choice back 3 is certainly a leap of faith.

Just now, Merrick's Marvels said:

But still didn't stop us gifting a Blackburn player a free header from 6 yards at a set piece (it was Williams who lost his man but Atkinson should still have dealt with it)!!  On any other day that's 1-0 down and a different game. 

We are still finding ways not to do the basics right. 

Controversially I thought Cundy looked somewhat asleep then too, plus he hesitated second half when the ball was played down the side of him, hence my comment about a greater sample size than 90 minutes before I start thinking we have the new Shaun Taylor/ Jamie McCombe..

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Controversially I thought Cundy looked somewhat asleep then too, plus he hesitated second half when the ball was played down the side of him, hence my comment about a greater sample size than 90 minutes before I start thinking we have the new Shaun Taylor/ Jamie McCombe..

Have to admit to being perplexed that he's playing on the right of a 3. He's not going to be too comfortable when dragged wide. I was guessing Atkinson would be on the left and Klose the right. Leave Cundy to attack the ball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Have to admit to being perplexed that he's playing on the right of a 3. He's not going to be too comfortable when dragged wide. I was guessing Atkinson would be on the left and Klose the right. Leave Cundy to attack the ball.

Assume Klose was in the middle as by far the most experienced of the 3 he was asked with supporting both of them?

• Like 1

On 15/03/2022 at 09:21, GrahamC said:

The football league is full of players that can have a good game, doing it constantly, every game is what sorts out the good from the bad.