IGNORED

Highlights

Port Said Red

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

What makes it worse, is that he seemed to realise they were 'going down easy'. Even booked Khadra for a dive, which I thought was harsh TBH.
Another day of inconsistencies from a Ref, the Pen looked one of the softest decisions of the day, one which would not been given anywhere else on the  pitch going by the rest of his performance.

I’ve seen him quite a bit: a)he loses control of games too easily and b) he often gives everything minor as a free kick, which starts to frustrate players and makes them look for free kicks. Yesterday - eventually - he couldn’t work out when he was being conned and when a free kick was genuine.
On the penalty, their bloke was pulled in a way that wouldn’t have knocked over a drunk toddler - he just thought ‘I’ll go down and see what happens’. But because the crowd was on the ref’s back, it was an easy decision to give. No way would he have given it at the other end.
Players start to take advantage of a poor ref and Gavin Ward is one of those. My heart sinks whenever he’s down for one of our games. He’s just consistently poor. He needs to be removed from the Championship list, which would be tough on L1 and L2 teams and fans.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

16 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Gavin Ward is such a shit ref.

The penalty looked incredibly soft (we should have had about 8, not 1 this season if it was).

But then Klose is not so much encroaching as almost beyond Dack by the time he takes it.

Amazed it wasn’t re-taken.

That is brilliant! Never noticed Kline when first watched this. He is practically side by side with Dack once it is taken :laugh:

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That’s why until recently he’s right at the bottom of my Champ refs…until Andy Davies briefly replaced him.

Hes bad for both sides.

Hes typical of trying to even up a wrong.  This time Atkinson’s foul on Dolan that both he and his assistant missed…Ward couldn’t wait to make up for that.

My heart sank, Dave, when I saw his name on the list for our game. I agree - he’s bad for both sides. I’m pretty sure that players and managers generally have little confidence in him. Stunned he’s still on the Championship list. I’d love to see his marks. I’m perplexed If the EFL ref authorities are happy with him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

My heart sank, Dave, when I saw his name on the list for our game. I agree - he’s bad for both sides. I’m pretty sure that players and managers generally have little confidence in him. Stunned he’s still on the Championship list. I’d love to see his marks. I’m perplexed If the EFL ref authorities are happy with him.

the efl website isn't up to date, but here's his profile: Gavin Ward

it would be interesting to see what gets you promoted or demoted to or from the select groups. but perhaps the overall level of competency is very low, and gavin ward is one of the better refs.

1 hour ago, firstdivision said:

The epitome of a ref who appears to have never played the game. His inability to identify consistently what is a foul, what is over acting etc really bugs me.

He makes decisions based on previous decisions, trying to make up for his mistakes.  You could tell by his whole body language that he wanted to give that penalty.  The bloke who went down needs shooting too.

It was one of the areas of the EFL fans survey I scored lowest.  This blokes are professionals, have been for some time, but their standards have dropped. How can that be?

There are intricacies of certain rules I am out of touch with…but the basic stuff around fouls, throw-ins etc is really not difficult.  I’ve reffed games in the past and those bits should be bread and butter.  I think too often they predict who it’s gonna hit and don’t actually watch it unfold.

Not good enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The epitome of a ref who appears to have never played the game. His inability to identify consistently what is a foul, what is over acting etc really bugs me.

He makes decisions based on previous decisions, trying to make up for his mistakes.  You could tell by his whole body language that he wanted to give that penalty.  The bloke who went down needs shooting too.

It was one of the areas of the EFL fans survey I scored lowest.  This blokes are professionals, have been for some time, but their standards have dropped. How can that be?

There are intricacies of certain rules I am out of touch with…but the basic stuff around fouls, throw-ins etc is really not difficult.  I’ve reffed games in the past and those bits should be bread and butter.  I think too often they predict who it’s gonna hit and don’t actually watch it unfold.

Not good enough.

We've had him four times since the middle of October as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firstdivision said:

I’ve seen him quite a bit: a)he loses control of games too easily and b) he often gives everything minor as a free kick, which starts to frustrate players and makes them look for free kicks. Yesterday - eventually - he couldn’t work out when he was being conned and when a free kick was genuine.
On the penalty, their bloke was pulled in a way that wouldn’t have knocked over a drunk toddler - he just thought ‘I’ll go down and see what happens’. But because the crowd was on the ref’s back, it was an easy decision to give. No way would he have given it at the other end.
Players start to take advantage of a poor ref and Gavin Ward is one of those. My heart sinks whenever he’s down for one of our games. He’s just consistently poor. He needs to be removed from the Championship list, which would be tough on L1 and L2 teams and fans.

I've looked at the Pen several times. First I thought it was harsh, then from different views I thought Massengo had been stupid , he does pull his shirt so you are asking for trouble. While I still think it's soft, the more I look the more it looks like he's just given it for the guys fall. I'm not sure he can see the tug, just Han running past and the guy falling over .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I've looked at the Pen several times. First I thought it was harsh, then from different views I thought Massengo had been stupid , he does pull his shirt so you are asking for trouble. While I still think it's soft, the more I look the more it looks like he's just given it for the guys fall. I'm not sure he can see the tug, just Han running past and the guy falling over .

Agree with that 100%.

Think HNM does tug his shirt but there is no way the ref can see that from where he is, so he’s given it based entirely on the theatrical fall to the floor, which basically encourages everyone to do it.

As has been said before he’s a terrible ref, but sadly (& we know them by name now), Davies, Eltringham, Linington, Simpson, Stroud & Harrington are all effing awful, too.

The standard is getting worse by the year.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

When a corner is about to be taken it resembles an all in wrestling match with manhandling, holding and shirts being pulled with rarely any intervention from the officials. How is that different from the ‘ contact ‘ HNM made ? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

When a corner is about to be taken it resembles an all in wrestling match with manhandling, holding and shirts being pulled with rarely any intervention from the officials. How is that different from the ‘ contact ‘ HNM made ? 

Indeed.  The answer is the ref was getting a bit of stick from the home crowd having missed Atkinson’s foul on Dolan, and weakly thought two wrongs make a right.  That is atypical of Gavin Ward as a ref.  He doesn’t ref the actual action, he refs on crowd reaction and what has gone on before.  The worst type of ref you can get.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Indeed.  The answer is the ref was getting a bit of stick from the home crowd having missed Atkinson’s foul on Dolan, and weakly thought two wrongs make a right.  That is atypical of Gavin Ward as a ref.  He doesn’t ref the actual action, he refs on crowd reaction and what has gone on before.  The worst type of ref you can get.

We need to bear this in mind when he next referees at the Gate. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

A slight tug of shirt by a Bristol City player, penalty. A Chelsea player nearly pulling the shirt off someones back and then pushing him to the ground...... goalkick. Even with VAR..

Seems fair.

• Like 4