IGNORED

Wells

Spoonbed

The issue with Wells is simple. Played correctly he is a £5m striker and HE IS HAPPY HERE. We wouldn't get £5m for him and he could be a vital attacking player for us given the game time. If we sold him, he would end up banging in 20 goals somewhere else, where we would be parting part of his wages, and got next to no money for him, if he starts next year how he's finished this season, then he could be the bit of quality we need up top. Selling him cheap can only have a negative impact on the club, and what we would get to sell him, we could not replace him with.

Semenyo is no better than wells, yet could get 10-12m for him. The one to sell makes perfect sense, and its not Wells. 

Wells up top with Martin and Wiemann in behind could be pretty deadly next year and we have enough promising youngsters to give cover. Semenyo is preventing us from seeing Wells real potential, that blocker wont likely be there in the summer, and we will get a huge fee for a very much unproven semenyo who may go on to be great, but we'll have a sell on, but theres no guarantee he wont just be another Bobby Reid and no better than Nahki!

• Hmmm 2

3 hours ago, One Team said:

Anyone else watched his pre Posh press conference?

When asked about whether he would still be here in the summer his response didn’t sound to me like he’s going anywhere. He talks of having at least another a year, wanting to stay, loving it here and liking working with NP.

Could all be shop window stuff but wasn’t quite what I was expecting to hear.

From what I have heard he is a model professional, trains really well and is an important part of the dressing room. Rumours of him never being happy here are just that….rumours 

Needs to be played correctly and he would notch 15+ goals a season easy 

• Like 5

I had an opinion that Wells was a moody and miserable sod and disruptive. I know a dad whose son plays for academy and he said he was fantastic with the young players and was a top bloke.  In this interview he comes across great and sincere. Just goes to show you just don’t know people and how wrong was I. 

• Like 3

Just now, Roger Red Hat said:

Just how is that?

As a winger with a free reign to cut in. He is not your natural striker, and he doesn't stick to one side. I remember him at Huddersfield, he was one minute on the left, next on the right and would just sprint through defences and appear for some great goals. He has one thing very few of our players have and thats vision. He is an excellent reader of the game and gets himself in the right position to help build an attack or finish it. You kind of need to give him a free reign. If we played him on left or right wing, with freedom to cut inwards as and when he felt like it and switch sides, he would be involved in a lot of goals. We need to play 5 at the back 3 in midfield , with him a utility player and one up top to probably get the best from him. He is a luxury player, who hasn't had a chance here. If he was given a free reign he would score and set up for fun. One of the very few premier league standard players we have. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Roger Red Hat said:

Didn't we get him from Burnley, where he hardly ever got off the bench?

Yes, but the season we got him, he was deadly for QPR and was player of the month, month after month. They wanted to keep him on loan, but Burnley recalled him to sell him to us. We proceeded to play him out of position, but still ended the season with 17 goals (10 of which for QPR).  He has not played in the same role as he had for QPR or Huddersfield for us, where he has looked a class above Championship. 

He didn't get a look it at Burnley, it was strange they signed him and never played him. I think they signed him thinking if they went down they had a player who would stay and help them go straight back up. 

4 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

So they didn't think he was a prem player!

If you're too good for the Championship, what are you ?

I get the impression you don't rate him, which is your opinion and fine, but you can't deny he hasn't been given a chance here, so when he has performed brilliantly at this level for years on end, it must raise a big question, WHY is he not given a fair chance in a team that is going backwards not forward and lacks quality?

17 minutes ago, robin for life said:

I get the impression you don't rate him, which is your opinion and fine, but you can't deny he hasn't been given a chance here, so when he has performed brilliantly at this level for years on end, it must raise a big question, WHY is he not given a fair chance in a team that is going backwards not forward and lacks quality?

He’s had one stellar spell of 5 months at this level (13 in 26 in  first half season at QPR 2nd spell,  prior to us buying him)

He’s done ‘ok’ previously ,but for a player who is basically a Goalscorer , season returns of   11 ,17, 10 , 7 & 10 from complete seasons at this level Isnt ‘performing brilliantly’ in my book 

And......scoring goals has not been our issue 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, robin for life said:

He's been on the bench at a lower half of the table team all season. He isn't "too good for the Championship".

Weimann has 19 goals. He isn't too good for the Championship either. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, robin for life said:

There have been many strikers over the years who have been great in our league, but not good enough for the prem. I don't rate him anywhere near as highly as you and some others. If he was as good as you say he would have forced his way into the team and been undroppable. I thought he was poor signing for us at the time, signed because Ashton fkd up over Nketia and had to try and get someone in last minute.

You seem to want to structure the whole side around a bloke that can't force his way into it!

5 hours ago, One Team said:

Anyone else watched his pre Posh press conference?

When asked about whether he would still be here in the summer his response didn’t sound to me like he’s going anywhere. He talks of having at least another a year, wanting to stay, loving it here and liking working with NP.

Could all be shop window stuff but wasn’t quite what I was expecting to hear.

Why would he want to leave? He's earning rather well with us thank you very much!! ?
Seriously though, he was banging them in for QPR (top scorer in the league) before we captured and de-skilled him. It's in everyone's interest that he finds form again - either to score goals for us, or to raise his stock value for us to be able to move him on.
He won't find form unless he plays though - and the same could be said for Palmer. Now that we are virtually safe I'd play them both, to see if we could get a tune out of them and also at the same time put them in the shop window.

44 minutes ago, robin for life said:

Yes, but the season we got him, he was deadly for QPR and was player of the month, month after month. They wanted to keep him on loan, but Burnley recalled him to sell him to us. We proceeded to play him out of position, but still ended the season with 17 goals (10 of which for QPR).  He has not played in the same role as he had for QPR or Huddersfield for us, where he has looked a class above Championship. 

He didn't get a look it at Burnley, it was strange they signed him and never played him. I think they signed him thinking if they went down they had a player who would stay and help them go straight back up. 

I appreciate you are a fan of his,, but the missed attempt at a through ball to pato a season or 2 ago was the final straw for me… and not someone who is too good for the championship. He likes to think of himself as the ace goalscorer,, but he cant get into our team and we are pants. Shocking waste of a transfer fee and big wage for us.

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

He won't find form unless he plays though - and the same could be said for Palmer. Now that we are virtually safe I'd play them both, to see if we could get a tune out of them and also at the same time put them in the shop window.

Good luck with the Palmer part of this..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Good luck with the Palmer part of this..

Well, I'm thinking that we will be stuck with him (Palmer) next season and possibly even beyond (not sure when his contract expires) if we don't play him, whilst he pisses his contract away in the reserves. At least if he plays, other clubs will get to see him and may even come in for him. He might even start to earn some of the obscene wages we are paying him - he certainly has talent - just not enough to be worth what he's earning.
I was amazed that we turned down Cardiff's approach to be honest.

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
add words

Just now, bcfcredandwhite said:

Well, I'm thinking that we will be stuck with him (Palmer) next season and possibly even beyond if we don't play him, whilst he pisses his contract away in the reserves. At least if he plays, other clubs will get to see him and may even come in for him. He might even start to earn some of the obscene wages we are paying him - he certainly has talent - just not enough to be worth what he's earning.
I was amazed that we turned down Cardiff's approach to be honest.

We won’t be stuck with him beyond next season as that’s when his contract finally ends.

I don’t know what to think, he is supposedly injured at present but whether he really is or not, I have no idea.

He certainly won’t ever play for us again as long as Pearson remains in charge.

Obvious to say but best all round if he leaves in the summer, whether he would be prepared to accept the inevitable wage cut in order to do so I have no idea.

Just want to see him gone, he’s certainly one of our worst value signings of all time.

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

People have been desperate to paint him as a problem ever since he arrived, and I'm not sure what it's based on.

I think it's a simple as his demeanour. He seems to get easily frustrated on pitch (with his teammates, himself) and to be honest I don't blame him. 

I'd also look irritated if I'd signed as a striker and kept being asked to play on the left wing. 

Much like Weimann, I think he could be a real asset if utilised correctly. 

• Like 2

I hope Wells has changed because I remember many times when he was either selfish near goal or lacking the basic footballing brains to see that it's better for the team to square the ball to someone in a better goal-scoring position. Chris Martin, who does have a football brain, could be seen kicking the opposition's goal post in total frustration when this happened to him yet again as Wells blasted it wide rather than pass to him.

Got to say though that it was great when he got it right at QPR.

Edited by southvillekiddy

4 hours ago, robin for life said:

As a winger with a free reign to cut in. He is not your natural striker, and he doesn't stick to one side. I remember him at Huddersfield, he was one minute on the left, next on the right and would just sprint through defences and appear for some great goals. He has one thing very few of our players have and thats vision. He is an excellent reader of the game and gets himself in the right position to help build an attack or finish it. You kind of need to give him a free reign. If we played him on left or right wing, with freedom to cut inwards as and when he felt like it and switch sides, he would be involved in a lot of goals. We need to play 5 at the back 3 in midfield , with him a utility player and one up top to probably get the best from him. He is a luxury player, who hasn't had a chance here. If he was given a free reign he would score and set up for fun. One of the very few premier league standard players we have. 

If we are genuinely gonna go to a back 4 next season and Pearson ideally wants to play 433, then I would just be a bit cautious about touting him around cheaply in the summer.  He can play along that front 3, and perming 3 of Wells, Martin, Semenyo and Weimann could be quite interesting (backed up by Conway and Bell).  You could argue that it’s a position we don’t have to recruit in the summer….as we know goals aren’t the issue….and strikers are pricey!

But to keep Wells (not 32 until June, and no signs of age catching up with him), I’d want to bring his wage down.  Is that possible?  Who knows.  But I’d at least look at the possibility of giving him an extra year and cutting his wage.  He knows he won’t get £25k p.w. anywhere, and if he got some assurances re minutes, he might be open to a deal.  It would save us some amortisation next season also, and push it into 23/24, when FFP isn’t an issue.

Plus if Semenyo went late in the summer window, you’re not scrabbling around, trying to find a striker at premium rates.

I’m not saying it’s what I’d do, but I think it’s an option to consider as dominoes topple.

I hope he finishes the season strong.  A good player for Conway and Bell to learn from.

• Like 5