IGNORED

U23s v Colchester (h) - 1pm

Davefevs

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Doesn’t matter, players on loan at any club can play 23’s, Morton was on loan at Gillingham second half of last season but not playing so we said he’d play for our 23’s instead 

No, the point was about “not playing twice in the same day”, not whether could play for two teams…I know they can.

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, the point was about “not playing twice in the same day”, not whether could play for two teams…I know they can.

Point was If we wanted him playing 23’s we’d have the choice of saying he’d play for city and not a loan club 

• Like 1

On 15/03/2022 at 17:29, TammyAB said:

Isn't he on loan at Paulton still?

Loan finished at Paulton 3 weeks ago.

21 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Ta.

But if that was me (and I wish it was), I wouldn't be trumpeting my 20th goal after losing the game, doesn't feel right to me.

Each to his own.

Well when the academy director is retweeting it....

20 goals is a good milestone at any level (add its a cracking finish) so its a good bit of 'advertising' as well, could be from some of the retweets National League or National League North/South managers see it and decide they may want him on loan next season after a deeper look into him

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Ta.

But if that was me (and I wish it was), I wouldn't be trumpeting my 20th goal after losing the game, doesn't feel right to me.

Each to his own.

It's about individual performances at that level, the coaches will tell you that they don't care about the overall result most of the time.

35 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Looks like they're going diamond again

I know there is no 1st team game for a fortnight but that’s a pretty strong team.

6 of them have been involved with the first team this season & a couple are regulars on the bench.

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Palmer-Houlden dropped to the bench to make way for Conway and Sam Bell.

I understand the thinking, but he must be disappointed.

He's a scholar still, playing up in the first place is good for him. Going into the season there was a good chance the U23's strike force could easily all season have been Bell, Conway, Britton, even Pearson in a front 3, had no one come in for a loan for Janneh then another forward option who'd have been playing 23's. So he'll know his place in the pecking order.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

He's a scholar still, playing up in the first place is good for him. Going into the season there was a good chance the U23's strike force could easily all season have been Bell, Conway, Britton, even Pearson in a front 3, had no one come in for a loan for Janneh then another forward option who'd have been playing 23's. So he'll know his place in the pecking order.

Oh absolutely.

I am sure there will be no toys thrown out of any pram, I was just observing that he must be understandably disappointed to be dropped after scoring twice in his previous game.

As you say, though, I am sure he knows his place - just as long as we don't get his father/close family members on here complaining, as has been known in previous cases when promising forwards have been dropped or sent on loan ?.

• Haha 1

Glad to hear Conway is amongst the goals. I thought he’d be playing a fair few games this season which hasn’t happened yet. Partly because of injury but also he has been slightly disappointing for the under 23s.  Hopefully he can kick on now.  We are safe so i would love to see him get 3-4 starts in a row and a few good games for the 23s could make that happen. Pearson seems to like him 

• Like 1

I've been at the game this afternoon, it's not far from me and was free entry.

Good, solid performance from us, Conway and Benarous the standouts which was perhaps to be expected given their first team experience. Conway in particular looked very bright, led the line well, ran the channels and linked up with Bell and Benarous. Took his goals well and possibly should have had a couple more.

First time I've seen a few of this group and it was noticeable that they all seemed very comfortable and confident in possession, always trying to play on what wasn't the best surface. Tinnion and (I think) Alex Ball were sat a few rows back in the stand and were constantly encouraging and cajoling, and at half time they went down and held a debrief on the touchline with the coaches who'd been in the technical area for a couple of minutes before they all went in and spoke to the players. One of the coaches went up to speak to Tinnion before they made the subs in the second half so it seems he has quite a large say in what goes on.

I did like the no.3 Taylor-Clarke, sat at the base of the midfield and broke up play, passed it well and got forward on occasion. Tired a bit towards the end but overall very good. The defence were largely untroubled which meant that the 2 full backs were able to do a lot of attacking. Keeper didn't have much to do but I liked his distribution, he was also very vocal with those in front, trying to get them into shape and make runs for when he was clearing the ball.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 7
  • Robin 1