IGNORED

“The fans choice”

Lack of Action Man

21 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Get through next season?     God.........I thought supporting my team was supposed to be occasionally exciting and fun instead of endless purgatory and pointless expense?   Think I might buy an Arsenal season ticket next season, so I can finally watch some entertaining, stimulating sport?  I have more than paid my dues over 30 years  of mostly underwhelming mediocrity, I deserve some respite from the curse of supporting my local team, and endless away trips which mostly end in disappointment?     Once NP has gone I will return, but i am reaching an age when my patience and tolerance is reaching it's limit, and i am worn down by the constant pulverising boredom of it all..............apologies for being so upbeat?

Go for it if that’s what you want to do.  I’m sure others will do the same too.  You don’t have to buy a season ticket, nobody is forcing you.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

Maybe because the ‘Groupthink’ on here became a bandwagon, with no consideration of alternatives. There’s also the issue that the squad was very poor, there were financial limitations for signings, and the players that we did sign have been underwhelming. I’m still very undecided, he’s kept a very poor squad up, but looking at the lack of success of the old guard of managers, once we finally stabilise (At least another year), we may well need a change to move forward.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

It really is . Let’s look at it another way , there is good reason no one wants to buy Palmer or Wells . 

Imagine this conversation 

Names remove to protect the victims 

” we have a great squad , surely they should be performing better and pushing for the Prem. We have spent a fortune “ 

“ indeed you have spent a fortune . But you have purchased 4 players for 20 million , with a collective wage of £120k a week , but all four will never play in the Premier league . You have 4 youth players that cost you the academy structure , are paid collectively under £20k a week , will all play in the Prem and are worth over £30 m at a conservative estimate . Maybe the future strategy needs to change “

” doh we’ve done it again “

I’m guessing the characters aren’t from Dick Emery? “Duh, dad, gone and done it wrong again” ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Redstart said:

Unfortunately though you pay peanuts, you get monkeys - if there is no decent transfer budget available to Pearson in the summer window then I dread what kind of squad we will start next season with. 

If no serious improvements to the squad, City will be relegated, simple! Been coming for a few seasons IMO.

Just looked on Wikipeadia and NP for us stands at ; P 54, W14, D11, L29, that shows; we have lost more than twice as many as we have won.

Then I look at the champ table and see Reading at 73 goals against, Pboro at 72 and us at 67 the only 3 teams at over 60 against; remembering how many of our defenders have played and been brought in by the manager.

So how long and how much does NP need to get us comfortable if not challenging a top 6 place ? 1,2,3,4 windows 5,10,15,20, million? the answer is just as long as SL feels like giving him.

So its going to be a long road and we look likely to be one of the favs to go down next season, so dont expect us to be magic wanded up this table anytime soon.

2 minutes ago, gl2 said:

So how long and how much does NP need to get us comfortable if not challenging a top 6 place ? 1,2,3,4 windows 5,10,15,20, million? the answer is just as long as SL feels like giving him.

By my estimates he’s kept us in this division this season and cut costs by £12m in the process.

• Like 1

On 08/03/2022 at 14:53, Red-Al said:

You don't know me,I don't know you ,try not insulting people who have got different opinions than you, 

3 hours ago, Red-Al said:

It was the sort of statement a gashead would make,

Very Rude , with a real insult to a true City fan, and Sticks is City and England from head to toe 

Ohhhhhh and a hypocrite

(nice name change to distance yourself from your previous postings btw)

Edited by Sheltons Army

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

By my estimates he’s kept us in this division this season and cut costs by £12m in the process.

odds on that happening again next season?

5 minutes ago, gl2 said:

odds on that happening again next season?

As it stands that’s £12m again next season too…but will change as we sign players, release players, sell players, extend contracts.

Basically we can’t survive on a cost base of £60m, even on pre-covid revenues, so Pearson has had to cut those costs down to £48m.  So next season we start with cost base of £48m. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

NP must stay and be given time 

This. It’s underwhelming. But it still - very slowly - feels like he is building something. I can’t see anything will drastically change by sacking him and bringing in someone else. 

in fairness, considering his record, fans are being remarkably patient so I think there is some recognition of the idea that this is the manager we all wanted so now we need to stick with him for a bit. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The world of the entitled football fan - Blackburn fans calling for Mowbray's head over the past few weeks.  Got to 2nd place, had a bad run….still 4th after last night’s win.  

I know people who were like that with GJ. Got us to the top of the Championship which was ridiculous really. Few bad results, down to 4th and people were calling for his sacking - odd mentality 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I want it all, I want it now, and it’s all Pearson’s fault!!!  Changing the manager solves it all. ??‍♂️

Yes- most definitely it does sometimes- yet flipping  a coin can be as reliable. I have seen nothing concrete beyond rare glimpses of possible progress but in the main- a constant theme of poor performances, dire results of a historic nature but great interviews assuring me that is the fault of past Club decisions, current players and bad refs.

Heads or tails?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yes- most definitely it does sometimes- yet flipping  a coin can be as reliable. I have seen nothing concrete beyond rare glimpses of possible progress but in the main- a constant theme of poor performances, dire results of a historic nature but great interviews assuring me that is the fault of past Club decisions, current players and bad refs.

Heads or tails?

Sometimes?

Does that have the same odds as heads v tails? ?

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

Get through next season?     God.........I thought supporting my team was supposed to be occasionally exciting and fun instead of endless purgatory and pointless expense?   Think I might buy an Arsenal season ticket next season, so I can finally watch some entertaining, stimulating sport?  I have more than paid my dues over 30 years  of mostly underwhelming mediocrity, I deserve some respite from the curse of supporting my local team, and endless away trips which mostly end in disappointment?     Once NP has gone I will return, but i am reaching an age when my patience and tolerance is reaching it's limit, and i am worn down by the constant pulverising boredom of it all..............apologies for being so upbeat?

Or, if you want to stay closer to home rather than travelling to North London, I understand Bristol Rovers are doing quite well and, apparently, playing attractive football.

Probably a lot cheaper, too.

4 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

On your points I've highlighted:

I think I expect some of the basic/fundamental errors we see week in week out to be addressed. FBC pod made a fair point that if NP isn't in charge of leading training (i.e. he takes a more observational role), and he isn't in charge of recruitment, then he is solely responsible for selection, man-managing and motivating the team - and I question some of the team selection we have seen and certainly the motivation of some (but not all) of our players. Kasper Schmeichel (and indeed many of the other players from that Leicester side) talk about NP like he was the defining turning point in their careers. I want to see some evidence of that level of inspiration and motivation here at AG, and imo I'm struggling to see it apart from in Alex Scott who I suspect due to his ability may have been a revelation under any half decent manager. You could make a case for Semenyo, but that's just two players. We have a lot of players in our squad who are underperforming and I would expect more from NP in that regard.

I do agree that the club is a mess, has been mismanaged for quite some time, and I think this needs to be hammered home a lot more directly to the club themselves. It's been a little while since Twentyman has done a cutting interview/show with one of the City higher-ups. The interview earlier this year with RG was dominated by NP's health issues so I don't feel we got much in the way of a strategy for moving forwards other than RG saying "I hope Nigel stays with us" (paraphrasing).

I take your point that perhaps a change now isn't in the clubs best interests... however you have to look at the likes of Forest who were similarly languishing under Hughton (again, another one of my preferred choices for the managerial post here) and how when they made the change their fortunes improved. Is it correlation or causation? I can't say for certain, but I think as fans we are right to have some skepticism over what we have seen this season. I was expecting us to finish about 10th - 13th after I watched us in pre-season and on the opening day, so in that regard we have been very underwhelming - for me personally.

I absolutely agree we need a huge slice of luck in the summer with both outgoings and in comings - can I see it happening? Probably not. I have a horrible feeling the summer will go similarly to the pre-season we spent under SC pursuing players who were (for whatever reason) financially unavailable to us i.e. Dwight Gayle.

On your first point - which is really about defensive errors - Pearson was quite clear in the press conference last week that we don’t have the centre back attributes/qualities that are required and that he always expects. Basically the centre backs are not performing at the level that we need. This was in answer to a Q about recruitment and the need for a right back - he put centre backs as the priority. So we don’t need to waste money on sacking Pearson and finding a new manager - we need to find some money for defensive reinforcements. As others have said, we need to give Pearson time to turn it around.  

9 hours ago, daored said:

I wanted Pearson and wanted him pre Johnson and again when Holden was appointed. The mess this club is in right now we need an experienced manager, I believe one of the reasons Pearson has stuck around is the promising younger players we currently have. 
The club is a mess and for that the blame has to go to the top, how do we not have a recruitment scout is amazing.
Is Pearson without blame? No he isn’t, we appear to lack organisation and our defending  at times is awful.

A number of these players in their comfort zone , good wages, good lifestyle and been here too long; O’Dowda, Palmer, Vyner , Moore and Bakinson (although on loan) all players who go back two managers to when they were signed.

We’re heading towards league one unfortunately, Pearson is part of the problem but the problem is much bigger than him. If he were to leave , who’d come in? We’ve got no money to entice and a squad low on quality

With regards to the part in bold - the fact that Simpson and Downing were sacked and replaced by just Fleming so far is a point for debate. Mountain, last we heard, was in charge of defence of set pieces - whether he stays end of season will be something of note. I'd also make the parallel, that without Baker, in spite of having some tall players and signed Klose, nobody in this squad fills me with any confidence in the air.

With regards to leadership, we have an inherent culture issue that appears to be apparent at all levels due to incompetent leadership.

Case in point, the differing views on previous management/structure/philosophy going forward with regards to how the club should be run between our chairman and manager in a recent presser.

I beleive the word I'm looking for are "completely abject and amateur from top down".

Fact of the matter is, the best period of consistent improvement came from Keith Dawe. Not SL, JL, or anyone appointed by the latter two (MA).

Speaks volumes IMO.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

NP must stay and be given time 

As others have asked why?

Like most I thought NP was a good appointment but I have been very disappointed. Unlike many I don't see an improvement - yes we win a game and play well now and again but we also have awful days. We are the wrong end of the table and results have been terrible since NP's appointment. 

So the other question I have is how much time would you give NP?

In the years since LJ left we gone from a club who expected to be pushing for the play offs to one thats just happy to stay up. Is that what we really want?

• Like 1

Support in what they do, or the lack thereof it is the answer IMO. 

If you look at the managers who have had success under us they've all been supported financially and by the board. All the managers who have struggled have done so because they're brought in to fix a mess created by the previous management team and are expected to do so in a single season which gives SL enough reason to sack them and get another manager in who does what he wants. 

NP will probably get the preseason to fix a lot of issues through cheap signings on a shoestring budget and just as we start to see some cohesion and long term stability he'll be out the door for the next yes man who will come in and be supported to the fullest. 

I don't blame NP, I blame the repeated cycle of the very top of this club in bringing in managers to fix his issues created by previous managers only to hang them out to dry with frustrated fans when the fans lose patience of the mess not being a quick fix situation.

The squad we have now is the most one dimensional, lacking depth squad that we've had in maybe 10 years and it's not down to Pearson but what he inherited and is expected to fix in a time when we have no money and a ravaged squad. 

NP will ultimately be sacked after laying foundations for the younger players and probably signing a few more cheap players to see us through and when the next man comes in and gets results off of the back of his work he'll be overlooked for getting us through a season without a single natural right sided player, an injury prone midfield and a demoralised defence. 

I'm honestly impressed that we've managed 43 points because when you sit down and look at this team it's almost impossible to name a starting 11 where every player is in their natural and position. NP isn't to blame for that, he had to accept we'd lose a lot of players and our only incoming players would have to be cheap and he didn't have a lot of time to prepare for it, all whilst in a pandemic driven market. 

I think a lot of our fans are overlooking just how bad the situation of this club is beyond the team and NP, the very running of it during the time MA was here and the fall out of his impact has had in the long term. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, billywedlock said:

So you disregard all of the factors created by LJ and Ashton and a 39 m loss and the dross of a squad that 39 m they delivered . Give me strength .. City fans are really on another planet . 

That's not the question. It's not about the size of the hole, it's about the ability of the man in charge to fix it, and I can't see what it is in Nigel Pearson's record that suggests he's any more capable of doing the job than anyone else. I don't deny it's a big job, but he's had 12 months and got no further than Dean Holden did, and shown nothing to suggest he will.

That said, somebody needs to be given the time and the backing to do the job. I wouldn't have picked Nigel Pearson, but he's got the job and it's not been a complete disaster. I don't think it's any more harmful to give him another transfer window or two to see what happens, rather than starting over with another new man in charge.

I've been watching City since 1970 and the only truly successful manager we've had at 2nd tier (Championship level now) was Alan Dicks, GJ had some fleeting success and LJ was probably next best since we were never in danger of going down and flirted with promotion occasionally. As for all the rest (and there must have been plenty) none of them have ever come anywhere near promotion and several have got us relegated, nearly all have been exclusively battling in the bottom half of the table.  It goes to show that as a club we struggle at this level so that must be taken into account when assessing managers. With our current financial issues and taking into account our history at this level then any expectation of promotion is fantasy, we just need someone who can keep us in this league until the budgets have been sorted when we can hopefully push on and have another punt at the top six. This is how NP should be judged, if he can keep us up next season then he should stay, if not then we've got nothing to lose by changing.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Tis an interesting topic  not sure  I buy the S'oD style excuses re NP being rubbish though. It's like a repeat to excuse failures and by that I mean utterly failing 

We're crap, have been for a while. As I've detailed else where 

Manager cant/, won't change that with players he has, and seems wont even try. 

Since Cardiff, we've won 2 in 11 i think and were lucky to win vs Blackburn. 

We've conceded plenty of goals, this is more than just a bad day at the office, this is sacking form. 

Fans can't keep excusing the horrendous forever. NP needs to change it up or elses he is a gonner. 

He keeps changing the personnel in the side. With the same outcome.

so what must he change up?

we have no other players. We have no money. We have no DoF and no head of recruitment.

NP is literally running the club. Single handedly. And you wonder why we’re struggling?

• Like 10