IGNORED

Siri, show me a team who haven’t had any good Irish players…

Silvio Dante

6 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Thinking about it a city Irish XI is the stuff of nightmares.

GK - Gilmartin 

RB - Ryan McGivern

LB - Cunningham (good, but nob)

CB - ??

CB - ??

LM - O’Dowda

RM - Sproule

CM - Tommy Doc (he’d go mental in this company)

CM - John Burns??

CF - Andy Smith

CF - Andy Keogh (think he played on loan?)

Bejaysus it’s bad 

I can't believe you missed out Pat Hoban & Jimmy Keohane!  Such was their immense contribution while here.  There's another forward and midfielder for you! ?

Actually there have been a fair few..

Brunt, Heffernan, Henderson, Rodnee Macaree(!), Brendon Maloney apparently played nearly 50 games for us in 13/14 and I have no recollection of him at all!!!!

Edited by Steve Watts

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

John Burns, I had completely forgotten about him, he was absolute litter, couldn’t even work out what he was supposed to be good at, let alone see any evidence that he could actually do it.

His signing was the first evidence to me that Pulis was actively trying to sabotage us, he came as part of the Jim Brennan deal, he was a makeweight I know but I would rather have had whatever Forest paid & nothing else, than him.

Terrible player.

Ah yes, John Burns described as ‘the new Roy Keane’ when he joined us.  Absolutely dreadful player.  What a career!

Personal information
Full name John Christopher Burns
Date of birth 4 December 1977 (age 44)
Place of birth Dublin, Republic of Ireland
Position(s) Midfielder
Youth career
  Belvedere
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
1994–1999 Nottingham Forest 4 (0)
1999–2002 Bristol City 11 (0)
2001–2002  Shelbourne (loan) 8 (4)
2002–2003 Carlisle United 5 (0)
2002–2003 Burton Albion 8 (0)
2002–2003 Hucknall Town ? (?)
2003–2004 Ilkeston Town ? (?)
2003–2005 Hinckley United ? (?)
National team
  Republic of Ireland U21[1]    
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Tommy Doherty not good ????

Qualified as Irish, so ......

I liked Sproule too.

Pretty slim picking though, looking through the list.

Kevin Nugent was a surprise (Republic)

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/bristol-city/10/

I knew Kevin Nugent was in the list and he is my closest, albeit very tenuous, connection to a City player.

Back in the late 90s one of my staff moved house and her new landlord was Kevin Nugent's brother (or brother in law, this was 25 years ago!); when he mentioned that he was a professional footballer and played for Bristol City she piped up that her boss supported them which he was pleased to hear.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I can't believe you missed out Pat Hoban & Jimmy Keohane!  Such was their immense contribution while here.  There's another forward and midfielder for you! ?

Brunt, Heffernan, Henderson, Rodnee Macaree(!), Brendon Maloney apparently played nearly 50 games for us in 13/14 and I have no recollection of him at all!!!!

Forgot about Heffernan. I thought he was good but wasn't played enough.

Remember Maloney being solid at best for a while after a couple of previous right backs but a very limited player.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

They weren't very good when playing at Clevedon on loan

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Ah yes, John Burns described as ‘the new Roy Keane’ when he joined us.  Absolutely dreadful player.  What a career!

Personal information
Full name John Christopher Burns
Date of birth 4 December 1977 (age 44)
Place of birth Dublin, Republic of Ireland
Position(s) Midfielder
Youth career
  Belvedere
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
1994–1999 Nottingham Forest 4 (0)
1999–2002 Bristol City 11 (0)
2001–2002  Shelbourne (loan) 8 (4)
2002–2003 Carlisle United 5 (0)
2002–2003 Burton Albion 8 (0)
2002–2003 Hucknall Town ? (?)
2003–2004 Ilkeston Town ? (?)
2003–2005 Hinckley United ? (?)
National team
  Republic of Ireland U21[1]    
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only

You’ve missed the bit off wiki where apparently after retiring he formed a band managed by Dion Dublin.

I have a vague recollection he was into music while here. Certainly couldn’t pull the strings in midfield (ho ho)

13 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Thinking about it a city Irish XI is the stuff of nightmares.

GK - Gilmartin 

RB - Ryan McGivern

LB - Cunningham (good, but nob)

CB - ??

CB - ??

LM - O’Dowda

RM - Sproule

CM - Tommy Doc (he’d go mental in this company)

CM - John Burns??

CF - Andy Smith

CF - Andy Keogh (think he played on loan?)

Bejaysus it’s bad 

Neil Kilkenny played once for the Republic of Ireland - but then again, he also represented England and Australia ... ???

8 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Ah that goal v Saints when he ran half the length of the pitch, c2009

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

More than two-thirds the length, I recall. 

When, with the entire half of the pitch and an open goal at his dipsosal and his fantastic pace, which got him into that position in the first place, he almost ended up running it down the tunnel in the Atyeo!. Which would have been the ultimate in game management...

6 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

When, with the entire half of the pitch and an open goal at his dipsosal and his fantastic pace, which got him into that position in the first place, he almost ended up running it down the tunnel in the Atyeo!. Which would have been the ultimate in game management...

It would’ve but I thought he scored at the other end (same half as Byfield scored early on)? Or has my memory gone?!

• Flames 1

13 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

It would’ve but I thought he scored at the other end (same half as Byfield scored early on)? Or has my memory gone?!

Nope your memory is fine.  Picked the ball up just outside the area and just ran and ran.  He was so frustrating as a player because he showed what he could do, but just didn't do it often enough.  He was a like Pato in that regard, could have a short run of great form and then go completely missing for 20 games.

7 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

I think we're all overlooking his best goal away at Leicester, accidently slalomed his way through most of there team if i recall, one of the best indivual goals i've seen from a city player

1 hour ago, WWred said:

I think we're all overlooking his best goal away at Leicester, accidently slalomed his way through most of there team if i recall, one of the best indivual goals i've seen from a city player

And I think you're overlooking the fact that it wasn't overlooked. ?

22 hours ago, Mr X said:

Decent goal from Sproule v Leicester, not too bad a goal from Skuse after as well!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, steveybadger said:

No, it was definitely in the Atyeo, it is one of those goals that is etched into my brain.  Saints had a corner at the Wedlock/East End/South End and being a goal down and into stoppage time, their keeper went up for it.  Basso got hold of it and passed it to Ivan, who "passed" it past every player on the pitch and just ran and ran!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

No, it was definitely in the Atyeo, it is one of those goals that is etched into my brain.  Saints had a corner at the Wedlock/East End/South End and being a goal down and into stoppage time, their keeper went up for it.  Basso got hold of it and passed it to Ivan, who "passed" it past every player on the pitch and just ran and ran!

and 

https://www.goal.com/en-ng/match/bristol-city-v-southampton/videos/ca7my8983haxyr0d6fkdya385

Byfield goal in the East End, Sproule scored in same half.

I also had a look into the following season’s game and Sproule also scored then, so perhaps that’s the one your thinking of. Entirely possible we’re thinking of 2 goals both of which fit the description.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/bristol-city-v-southampton-14-february-2009-284310/

Not trying to point score btw, just had to know and sad enough to look it up!!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

On 17/03/2022 at 08:32, Silvio Dante said:

Siri, show me a team who haven't had any good Irish players...

Most teams to be honest. Ireland isn't exactly the epitome of footballing talent.

Edited by TBW

2 hours ago, TBW said:

Most teams to be honest. Ireland isn't exactly the epitome of footballing talent.

Don't know about that! I think you need to have your statement edited.

Most teams to be honest. Ireland isn't exactly the epitome of footballing talent when it comes to playing for Bristol City. They just go to more famous teams.

I liked Sproule, any player with that amount of pace is really exciting to watch when they are on form. His goal v Southampton  when he nearly ran it out was definitely at the Atyeo end. 

Williams was a good player. I was sad to see him go. 

Cunningham was decent enough, but acted like an utter jerk in games against us after he left.

John Burns…..blimey, the Pulis era was dreadful. He was such a horrible manager.