IGNORED

Adriano Basso

Red Army 75

First seen Basso at Swindon away, 2005. Looked nothing like a Goalkeeper should do, was sleeping on someone's kitchen floor at the time as well. 

This motivation to improve his life and career was inspiring and he had a great career whilst with City, it's a shame how it all ended with a contract dispute with GJ. He had the odd clanger in him, but definitely saved us more often than not

• Like 8
  • Robin 2

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

First seen Basso at Swindon away, 2005. Looked nothing like a Goalkeeper should do, was sleeping on someone's kitchen floor at the time as well. 

This motivation to improve his life and career was inspiring and he had a great career whilst with City, it's a shame how it all ended with a contract dispute with GJ. He had the odd clanger in him, but definitely saved us more often than not

Remember seeing the reserve game he played as a trialist at AG v Swindon.

Basically made every catch of the ball look like he had pulled off the save of the season followed by at least 2 rolls on the floor.

As you say he looked pretty raw in his early games but it truly was a remarkable story, back up keeper at Woking to the Championship play off final & BBC West Sport Personality of the year.

Still seems mad that the only Brazilian to ever play for us was a goalie but the ride we went on under GJ with him between the posts was an exhilarating one.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Still seems mad that the only Brazilian to ever play for us was a goalie but the ride we went on under GJ with him between the posts was an exhilarating one.

I know.  Where are our South American scouts?! ;):laugh:

For a modest sinecure from City, I'd be prepared to base myself in Rio and scour the beaches for people who look good in a kickaround. I might concentrate on finding talent for our women's team mostly though.... :whistle2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Robin 1

Just now, Bristol Rob said:

This won't be a popular view, but for me he was average, and if it wasn't for his god bothering ways and the odd save for the camera, his time with us would be just about as memorable as a host of other average players.

I think most players for City are largely average but its the idiosyncrasies that make players like Basso cult heroes 

His career post City absolutely drifted away 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

For a modest sinecure from City, I'd be prepared to base myself in Rio and scour the beaches for people who look good in a kickaround. I might concentrate on finding talent for our women's team mostly though.... :whistle2:

Selfless.

Having been there in the late 90s, I’d consider a similar role in Estonia & Latvia myself..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I think most players for City are largely average but its the idiosyncrasies that make players like Basso cult heroes 

His career post City absolutely drifted away 

Was it not his 'belief' City denied him a premier league move, or am I thinking of a different player?

24 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We do actually have one based in Rio. 

Julio AvonGorgio.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Selred said:

What is a cult hero vs a hero?

Surely Basso is a hero? 

A hero would’ve been saving a penalty in a championship play off final and getting promoted.

A cult hero is being remembered so fondly by almost all city fans despite being “average”*

*he wasn’t average by the way

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, David Brent said:

A hero would’ve been saving a penalty in a championship play off final and getting promoted.

A cult hero is being remembered so fondly by almost all city fans despite being “average”*

*he wasn’t average by the way

There was the penalty in the semi play off final though...

And, lest we forget, he did a lot to help turn round Bradley Orr when he was going through bad times.

That whole team were legends in my eyes and Basso was a key part of it.. it was a a time when all the players and supporters seemed together. Great days.

Edited by Calculus
  • Like 13
  • Robin 1

20 minutes ago, Selred said:

Depends how you define as average. One of my favourite keepers we've had.

Average to me would of been someone like Phillips. 

Never played top flight, managed less than 300 games in a 20 year career (a lot of it spent non-league), struggled to find clubs and ended up (so I just read on Wikipedia) playing just 31 games after throwing his toys out the pram when he was with us because he thought he was better than he was.

Not saying he was a bad keeper, just think the myth of Basso was greater than the player.

For balance, I thought Chris Weale was a better keeper, but he played even less.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-adriano-basso-pearson-6859324

Some nice words from Adriano about City. Probably my favourite keeper for city him or John Shaw. Didn’t realise he played under NP who he also praised. Brilliant shot stopper

Adriano was the centre-piece of the 'Always Believe' feelgood factor of 2006-2008, that encompassed everything we achieved over 2 wonderful seasons.

When Adriano raised his hands to the skies before games, we all believed and the players delivered.

A truly magical time.

Thanks Adriano.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Calculus said:

There was the penalty in the semi play off final though...

And, lest we forget, he did a lot to help turn round Bradley Orr when he was going through bad times.

That whole team were legends in my eyes and Basso was a key part of it.. it was a a time when all the players and supporters seemed together. Great days.

To be fair did he actually save that penalty? I swear it hit the post.

Love the bloke though. I kinda get the ‘average’ sentiment even if I don’t necessarily quite agree. Out of all of our keepers he was clearly well above average but he wasn’t incredible, just a great bloke and a top influence on the club.

Edited by nebristolred

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Was it not his 'belief' City denied him a premier league move, or am I thinking of a different player?

He seemed to be convinced of PL interest but it was reported at the time that his agent told him otherwise and that he should sign a new contract with us.

I thought that regardless of his talent - and he wasn't bad! - he was a talisman for that GJ side. Lovely relationship with the crowd. We've been lacking that of late. 

Good luck to him. One of my favourite City players. A real character. He gave one of the boots he wore at Wembley to my eldest as he walked off the pitch at the end of the match. It's in a case on our bookshelf. Still got a bit of Wembley turf attached.

Always believe and all that - not that it has been easy of late...

• Like 4
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

23 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

To be fair did he actually save that penalty? I swear it hit the post.

Love the bloke though. I kinda get the ‘average’ sentiment even if I don’t necessarily quite agree. Out of all of our keepers he was clearly well above average but he wasn’t incredible, just a great bloke and a top influence on the club.

You are right, it did hit the post. I remember Basso coming out, offering a handshake to Watson, blessing him, taking an age to get back to his line and then stopping to offer up a prayer.  Am fairly sure all this didn't exactly help Watson.

Incidentally, it was later reported that he said that he had prayed to Holy Ghost, who had apparently told him to go to his right. No ordinary bloke was Basso.

Edited by Calculus
  • Like 1

Loved him. He was a great character and when he pointed to the heavens it helped stir fans up (and I’m saying that as an atheist). His determination was excellent (I’m sure I read somewhere he used to practice when he didn’t have a club by getting his wife to take shots at him in the park) and he went from non-league to being in a side that was a whisker away from reaching the top division. Very fond memories of him. 

1 hour ago, nickolas said:

Nope. Basso questioned GJ’s summer transfer quality after the play off final season. GJ didnt like it so forced him out. 

If that's true then Basso was correct to question it. Other than Maynard it was pretty crap