IGNORED

Players positions

Rich

15 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Can only assume Pearson had tested Bell in that defensive role against CoD in training and Bell did enough to convince the manager he could play in that position. Unfortunately, most opposition players pose a greater challenge than CoD, as Pearson found out against Brum. 

I think this is where we have problems, you've hit the nail on the head. Our defenders have to train against our forward players, so have little if any threat in the air to deal with in training. The same cam be said throughout the squad, are we challenged enough in training by good enough players to replicate proper match day scenarios. 

We see them get done on a too regular basis individually, yet think we've got a good squad.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

I'm fully aware of that, thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious. But, that's not what I was implying. I referred to the ability of "some" players, not "all" players. There's also a difference regarding age of players and the expectations on whether they could do this or that type of role. Could Deidhiou have performed a a centre back? Much like has happened on numerous occasions with players of age as well.

I wasn't for one moment suggesting that a skillful slightly built winger would turn out to be a great central defender, or a bruising six foot five defender be a tricky winger. Merely suggesting that to the coaching staff, he'd done enough to give him more game time there.

And my reply mentioned some. I provided an example of a forward. Striker was in your post.   

Its a rare beast in the championship that can play adeptly multiple roles. What we do see is norms where players move from roles where their skill sets = Qualities required - RB - RWB. The positions are not wholly different. 

Could Diedhiou performed at centre back? No. He did not man mark and was poor at following tactical approaches like screening. Defending is tactical and psychologically demanding. Heading a few corners while guarding a zonal space is easy in comparison, and in comparison, current players do similar as well. As for his recovery post explosive movement, his physical corner was poor. Defenders need recovery qualities to sustain levels under pressure. 

17 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

And my reply mentioned some. I provided an example of a forward. Striker was in your post.   

Its a rare beast in the championship that can play adeptly multiple roles. What we do see is norms where players move from roles where their skill sets = Qualities required - RB - RWB. The positions are not wholly different. 

Could Diedhiou performed at centre back? No. He did not man mark and was poor at following tactical approaches like screening. Defending is tactical and psychologically demanding. Heading a few corners while guarding a zonal space is easy in comparison, and in comparison, current players do similar as well. As for his recovery post explosive movement, his physical corner was poor. Defenders need recovery qualities to sustain levels under pressure. 

Yeah, but…… Flinty at centre-forward!

Agree though, each role on a football pitch requires application of a different set of mental and physical abilities. Few, certainly at Championship level, can effectively adapt between forward and defensive roles.

Surprised tbh that Pearson thought a raw youth with little experience in his favoured position could go from a forward to wing back role, particularly when pitched against a quality opponent. Even more baffling when we all know our ‘midfield’ is sub-standard with its own issues. For Pearson to ask them to afford protection to the inexperienced wing-back when they’re struggling to form anything resembling an effective unit was/is a bit bonkers. 

9 hours ago, TRL said:

Ruud Gullit.

Personally I believe to be the best all-round footballer ever.  Centre Back, Right back, Left Back, Sweeper, Defensive Midfield, Attacking Midfield, Central Midfield, Winger, Striker, he could play all of these positions at the top level of the game.

If there has ever been a better all-round footballer, and in turn best footballer ever I am yet to see it.  Granted there were better players in each of these positions, but as a all-round footballer, I think the term banded about now is GOAT

Gullit was definitely someone I thought of last night, along with Hoddle. But I think you would do well to beat Gullit, although I think Gerrard could of played all those positions that you described if he was asked. Although Gullit actually did! COYR 

6 hours ago, Rich said:

As others have stated, this wasn't his first time in that position and, the mistake if you really want to call it that, was rectified at half time. I think you do have to give someone a bit of time to try and turn things around. Maybe he came up against opponents that were just too good for him at this time.

I would assume, you being a "professional" in the game, would know that it is more than possible to play in different positions, and, at no time was I down a rabbit hole trying to equate the situations of years ago with the recent exposure of the young lad. Merely stating a fact that it's been done before and, expanding it as a point of discussion, which worked.

What I find strange is, a "professional" slagging off a fellow professional, suggesting he be sacked/removed/moved on/got rid of, whatever you want to call it.  Plus denouncing in a brash way, anyone who supports that person while disagreeing with your version of events on a public forum.  That I would suggest is embarrassing.

Oh dear.