IGNORED

Fulham to seal promotion

Jerseybean

1 hour ago, Midred said:

Marco Silva " Fulham are back where they belong!"  A bit like going back to the same place every year for your holiday! ?

Ask most fans to draw up a “strongest” or “rightful” Premier League, and I don’t think you will get too many saying Fulham.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Ask most fans to draw up a “strongest” or “rightful” Premier League, and I don’t think you will get too many saying Fulham.

I guess it depends on the age group. 

I grew up with Fulham being a regular player in the Premier League, including the European run in 2010, whereas the likes of Wednesday, Leeds or Forest were more of a feature in league one than the top flight. 

Over the Premier League era I'd say Fulham probably edge in as a 'rightful' Premier League club (whatever that means!)

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I grew up with Fulham being a regular player in the Premier League, including the European run in 2010, whereas the likes of Wednesday, Leeds or Forest were more of a feature in league one than the top flight. 

Over the Premier League era I'd say Fulham probably edge in as a 'rightful' Premier League club (whatever that means!)

They play in London, Liverpool or Manchester?

33 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

For a hell of a lot of their history they were a second or third tier club. 

Crap support for a London club: And do we actually want another club from London cluttering the PL?

• Like 4

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

It’s got miles worse though.

The old first division was far more even than this, winning the Premier League is virtually a closed shop, now the same clubs joining it & leaving it do so almost every year.

There is very little chance of that changing until a complete financial review of the whole system is done. Its becoming so predictable and boring.

I don't know any other league other than the Championship where season on season at least four clubs don't have to abide by the restrictive FFP three year rules because of their parachute monies for failure. 

The parachute money system was put in place to stop clubs imploding Portsmouth style due to the disparity in revenue between the leagues & not be used simply as a free war chest to gain a massive advantage. 

The football elite have got exactly what they want

At least back in the "old First Division" days you had  a chance with Ipswich & Southampton winning the F A Cup. Even Birmingham City won the League Cup.  Now you can easily predict it will be spread amongst the top six in the Premier League. Yes there is the odd exception but that is becoming rare. 

Bournemouth are a good example. They don't need a big ground to generate income. Its all Sky money.

So I can confidently predict that the top two next season will be Norwich & Watford; you heard it here first.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I would disagree. Always been a second or third tier club until AlFayed pumped millions in. They used to have a fanzine "There's only one F in Fulham" which kind of sums up what the locals think.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Midred said:

Marco Silva " Fulham are back where they belong!"  A bit like going back to the same place every year for your holiday! ?

There are probably 40-50 clubs who for one reason or another believe their “rightful” place is in the premiership 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Swede said:

There is very little chance of that changing until a complete financial review of the whole system is done. Its becoming so predictable and boring.

I don't know any other league other than the Championship where season on season at least four clubs don't have to abide by the restrictive FFP three year rules because of their parachute monies for failure. 

The parachute money system was put in place to stop clubs imploding Portsmouth style due to the disparity in revenue between the leagues & not be used simply as a free war chest to gain a massive advantage. 

The football elite have got exactly what they want

At least back in the "old First Division" days you had  a chance with Ipswich & Southampton winning the F A Cup. Even Birmingham City won the League Cup.  Now you can easily predict it will be spread amongst the top six in the Premier League. Yes there is the odd exception but that is becoming rare. 

Bournemouth are a good example. They don't need a big ground to generate income. Its all Sky money.

So I can confidently predict that the top two next season will be Norwich & Watford; you heard it here first.

I’ve never understood why parachute payments were allowed to be. Let me explain.

I do understand that players have some sort of clause in their contracts promising them huge pay rises upon promotion. Whether it be from Championship to Premiership or non league to league Two etc

I don’t understand though why contracts can’t be written with the understanding  that if a club is relegated, from whatever level that a player is expected to take a pay cut in accordance.

A player can then be sold, and move back higher maybe. Or stay and suck it up.

Seriously, what’s wrong with that? People might say that players won’t want to sign with those clauses. Well find another line of work then would be my answer.

It might take a few years for existing deals to run out so they should be honoured, as they are contracts. But any new contract now should be on the terms that I suggest. If players are good they will rise to the top and be rewarded. Stopping parachute payments will go a long way to levelling the playing field.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I’ve never understood why parachute payments were allowed to be. Let me explain.

I do understand that players have some sort of clause in their contracts promising them huge pay rises upon promotion. Whether it be from Championship to Premiership or non league to league Two etc

I don’t understand though why contracts can’t be written with the understanding  that if a club is relegated, from whatever level that a player is expected to take a pay cut in accordance.

A player can then be sold, and move back higher maybe. Or stay and suck it up.

Seriously, what’s wrong with that? People might say that players won’t want to sign with those clauses. Well find another line of work then would be my answer.

It might take a few years for existing deals to run out so they should be honoured, as they are contracts. But any new contract now should be on the terms that I suggest. If players are good they will rise to the top and be rewarded. Stopping parachute payments will go a long way to levelling the playing field.

Well, your agrument is completely sensible. But obviously the point of the Premier League is to create wealth for it's member's, and they collectively decided to mitigate against relegation to the EFL by ensuring that they had a big bag of money if they got relegated so they could keep their best players and likely make a swift return to the Premier League.

• Like 1

In theory going up with players- and retaining players- such as to name a few Gazzaniga, Adarabioyo, Reed, Wilson and Mitrovic they should be able to have something to build around. Tete ex Lyon and Ajax, Muniz signed for good money and age on his side- a certain Bobby Reid as an option of course. Neco Williams could also move there permanently.

Of course signing and retaining such players wouldn't be possible if Parachute Payments a) Were not in existence or b) Were worked very differently.  I'd like to see only the amount equal to Solidarity Payments included within the Profit and Loss, the rest for cashflow and the like. Or alternatively Parachute Payments equally distributed among the 72, if weighted for division.

It would severely restrict relegated clubs in either scenario. Not just about restricting them though but not giving them a huge advantage. they would be able to a) Spend quite a bit less and b) Need to think in most cases seriously about cutting cloth or FFP sanctions follow in the Spring. Instant Business Plans on relegation would also help

"You're projected to lose X, you can only lose Y- make this profit and saving or you'll be docked X points. While projected to breach, nobody can be signed etc"

That kinda thing.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Since 2015/16 here is a list of all clubs that have either received PPs or have been promoted (some clubs haven’t been relegated back down….yet).

(inc Fulham’s latest promotion)

D62E1BD9-0087-4858-AF7B-CCCBD9585452.thumb.jpeg.70520f3d76dfd0c5a683530035ed5df3.jpeg

Cardiff, Fulham, QPR and West Brom have each had 4 years worth of PPs in the 7 years, inc this year.

Still very possible that Bournemouth are joined by Sheff Utd or Huddersfield….might even be Boro or Blackburn…all clubs to have received PPs in this 7 year period.

Can Luton or Forest buck the trend?

A farer way would be the relegated clubs having access to the parachute money for their Premier League players' contracts only. Any player signed whilst in the Championship has to be done under the auspices of FFP based on a projected three year income just as any other club in the league has to. In other words, abide by the rules.

Happy to be corrected but that seems a farer system.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Swede said:

A farer way would be the relegated clubs having access to the parachute money for their Premier League players' contracts only. Any player signed whilst in the Championship has to be done under the auspices of FFP based on a projected three year income just as any other club in the league has to. In other words, abide by the rules.

Happy to be corrected but that seems a farer system.

The salary cap proposal had a moratorium on existing contracts.

As does SCMP (Lg1/2 FFP).

image.thumb.png.aa748e2775943d40f8598af35aa26eef.png

It’s not perfect, they should cap those players wages at Championship average wage, or something like that.

The concept has legs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eardun said:

Sums it up. Plus reinforces how well Luton are doing. 

This is exactly why the Championship has to be the most unfair league in the world. Made all the more painful in that the bottom two teams average 10K & less than 20K fans per match. Its absolutely disgusting