IGNORED

the day when Derby and Bristol City created television history

way back in 1992 when the first ever league match featuring Bristol City was shown in a 4-3 win

Only two live games per Sunday were allowed so the big boys of television, Granada and Carleton always had their games picked

What live Bristol City game was shown later in the season on HTV only?

and what was other teams region that decided not to show the game?

• Like 1

The Derby keeper got sent off and Paul Simpson scored a hat trick against us that day. Wayne Allison scored the winner with a perfect header. 3-4 to City at the old Baseball Ground. What a dump that place was……

I remember watching it live.

Edited by Robbored

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The Derby keeper got sent off and Paul Simpson scored a hat trick against us that day. Wayne Allison scored the winner with a perfect header. 3-4 to City at the old Baseball Ground. What a dump that place was……

Not sure "dump" is the word I'd use. it was certainly old, full of atmosphere (at least it was for that game). I liked the Baseball Ground

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

As I can't see it on my Youtube channel, I'm guessing we lost, orI just missed it.  

1 hour ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Not sure "dump" is the word I'd use. it was certainly old, full of atmosphere (at least it was for that game). I liked the Baseball Ground

I went there twice and both times I thought it was a dump, very tatty and run down. No surprise that they built a new stadium.

39 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I went there twice and both times I thought it was a dump, very tatty and run down. No surprise that they built a new stadium.

Bit unfair, given the time.
Went there a few times, behind the goal in the seats, and in the stand and on the side in the fenced off bits. It ws just a typical ground. I did think those fenced in bits were odd the first time I went, but no worse than the Gate at the time, though the pitch was horrible in the 70's.

• Like 1

The idea that the Baseball Ground was a dump was probably enhanced because the area around it was so run down. I recall we parked our car and walked down Columbo Street which gave a good impression of downtown Beirut. Compared to some of its surroundings I didn't think the ground, was that bad. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The idea that the Baseball Ground was a dump was probably enhanced because the area around it was so run down. I recall we parked our car and walked down Columbo Street which gave a good impression of downtown Beirut. Compared to some of its surroundings I didn't think the ground, was that bad. 

Went in the old first Division. As a green 16 year old we wondered what we had stepped into, walking down one road that had wooden doors on hinges to cover their windows.

4 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

way back in 1992 when the first ever league match featuring Bristol City was shown in a 4-3 win

Only two live games per Sunday were allowed so the big boys of television, Granada and Carleton always had their games picked

I recollect that the game HTV elected to show later in the season was Bristol City 1 Grimsby 0. I think Nicky Morgan scored the winner.

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

Completely forgot one of my heroes was playing that day for Grimsby. Paul Futcher. What a player he was when, in my youth, I supported Luton Town.

I seen the Futcher brothers/twins play for Man City v us at Ashton Gate, I think Deyna the Polish great played that day too.

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Yeah i was there, leaving the ground was a high wall with loads of stuff being chucked over at us. But enjoyed the day.